Overseas postage rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas postage rates

does anyone have a list of average overseas postage costs for records & CD's? I plan on selling some stuff on eBay but don't really have any good references for overseas shipping costs (esp. Japan, UK, Canada). when selling music on eBay, what's considered fair? I'm assuming most of you include the 3% PayPal fee on top of shipping? what are your general rules/guidelines for selling music on eBay? any info would be appreciated. oh and I would be sending stuff from the US.

I print out the postage tables on the Post Office website and use a set of kitchen scales to quote postage prices - which I then write on the back of the mailer. if you've got some really good scales (digital or something) then you can confidently sort the packages into piles according to postage price and do the post office run real quick. If you buy mailers from covers33 or something, just add about 14p to the p&p quote for the buyer...

Erm, you're in the states just realised - they do postage according to weight right? So I presume there's a price table online somewhere for that...
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I spent about six months undercharging everyone on P&P. It's best to tot up exactly what packaging you're using (mailer/stengtheners/plastic sleeves) and then work out an average. Record weights vary a lot. In the UK an LP/12" can come under about three different price bands so you'll never get it perfect unless you weigh up each one seperately which way too time consuming. In the US (I think you're living there) you have differnt companies charging different prices. Here most people just use Royal Mail which keeps it simple. As Nick said check their websites for prices and get the scales out. Or go down the PO and get stuff priced.

Personally I don't charge for PayPal. You're not allowed to now but obviously you can include that in your postage charges. It's entirely up to you but I find PayPal so convenient that I'm willing to swallow their excessive charges.

If you want to be lazy though then just see what other people are charging on ebay and copy them. Charges tend to vary quite a lot though. And remember that if you over charge you may put people off bidding or get some shitty feedback.

Comment

If you're in the US, this is useful. It'll give you quotes based on destination and weight. A standard record package will fit in the dimensions of 'Airmail Letter Post' and using USPS means it comes through the Royal Mail here which, although not perfect, I still prefer over other couriers since it's normally a lot easier to pick up mail from them than anyone else.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

thanks for the info everyone. I was curious about the Airmail Letter Post rate, it's one of those things the post office doesn't necessarily tell you about because people assume that only very small packages fall under this category. but I was more concerned about offering fair shipping rates rather than some of these inflated rates I see some ebayers using.

Comment

Just watch out for exteme stupidity from the postal service. I had a package returned to me this morning. Check out the reason why it was returned from the Netherlands back to the UK. It's so stupid it's hilarious.  

Comment

I had one that wanted to charge $20 for mailing a 45 to the UK! How I laughed...

Comment

while you're on the topic of international postage, I wonder if I can pick your brains...

I'm ready to order a few records from the US and the seller has asked if I would like them to declare a low value on the customs form.

just wondered what the implications are of doing this - is it just to warn off potential thieving posties or does it speed up shipping time or what?

your help is appreciated!

Comment

We in the UK get stung for import duty if the value is declared to be worth over something like $35, no matter what it is...

Poor old Bart must be livid at his postal service!

And it looks like my Shures from the States have either been stolen or flagged for security inspection... Hope it's the latter!

Comment

we have to pay 17.5% VAT (sales tax) on any imports over 18 GBP. i don't mind that on new CDs and DVDs and the like, but it's a bit unfair to pay it on second hand records.

it also deters theft, means there's no delay while customs look at the parcel, and means that you don't have to receive the parcel in person - they won't just leave a parcel for you if there's money owing.

so be nice, and do it!

Comment

Personally speaking, the "low customs declaration" makes you fall of the fence one of two ways...

Simplistically speaking... (assuming insured post from the US)

If you declare low, then UK customs don't hassle you for import tax - remember that Parcel Farce add an extra £8 as a handling fee too...

But, if you declare low and the package gets lost, mangled, damaged in some way shape or another, then you don't get to see the cash for the LP you've just spuffed a load of wedge on...

That's my simplistic view on things - I do a quick mental risk assessment and think "well, if owt happens, what would I rather have, what can I afford to lose"...

I suppose this view changes if you don't use insured postage... then it's just a case of avoiding customs charges.

... or is that too simplistic... ? ? ?
                      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]we have to pay 17.5% VAT (sales tax) on any imports over 18 GBP. i don't mind that on new CDs and DVDs and the like, but it's a bit unfair to pay it on second hand records.
                        ... and this extends to "gifts" as well as anything you've bought.

I mean, I got stung for £16 import tax (inc the £8 to Parcel Farce, which, as you've probably noticed, really winds me up) for the LP's from Brooklyn NY to give awway on this site !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

cheers everyone for shedding some light on this.

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]they won't just leave a parcel for you
                          but don't start me on postmen leaving parcels for me...

on the doorstep (in the rain) with no attempt to hide them!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Aug. 02 2004,12:01)]Poor old Bart must be livid at his postal service!

And it looks like my Shures from the States have either been stolen or flagged for security inspection... Hope it's the latter!
                            Bart's been very cool about it. The reason I scanned the package is because I didn't think he's believe me if I told him the reason they'd been returned. I have another address to use now so hopefully it'll get through. Just got to get my money back from the Royal Mail.

My Trifle album finally turned up from Argentina and that was a slow process. I thought it was gone for good so hopefully your Shures are stuck in the same slow system.

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]But, if you declare low and the package gets lost, mangled, damaged in some way shape or another, then you don't get to see the cash for the LP you've just spuffed a load of wedge on...
                            I don't think that's true actually, Sie. I always put a fiver or less on packages I send and I've only ever had one go missing. It was worth about £20 plus postage costs and I made a claim for it and got a full refund including postage. With every package you send or someone sends you make sure that you have evidence of the value and theoretically you should get a full refund. I don't think the value on the customs form effects this in any way.

Comment

Blighty's correct: I've had packages go missing, and only the receipt from the PO as proof of sending (not a full certificate of posting, Airsure/International Signed For slip, just plain receipt) and I believe you're automatically covered for losses up to a multiple of the actual postage paid. If it's an ebay/mail order type item, print out the relevant page showing cost, which should match your addresses, and there's your proof of value. The catch is, if you're receiving not sending, that inquiries into lost/damaged items can only be instigated by the sender...you can't do it yourself, I've been told.
                              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                              X