Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto

So, lost my passport, had to cancel flights to Costa Rica, airline found passport, booked flights cheap to Toronto, going on Tuesday, need help, where to dig, visit, spots, other places (cities etc)

HELP!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!!!!!!

Nope, no records in Canada.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Cheers Rich, didn't think of that.

Serms, have any ideas?

Comment

What sort of stuff are you looking for?
        www.myspace.com/usofaudio
        www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
        www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Comment

By far the BEST *&$&&*n store in Toronto is a place out east (I forget the name, but it's in the phone book and all the local diggers know it) called "Ric Collectibles". He has tons of great shit, does deals with a fella from Detroit. Lots of blackness on wax. Make the excursion fella. It's worth it.

Had a lot of great original funk, soundtracks, little bit of psyche, loads of crates and very reasonable prices. This is the one place you NEED to visit.

Here's what one website says. ..

"Funky beats and breaks
          RIC COLLECTIBLES 155 Main, 416-690-6399.
          Located way over in the east end, Ric Collectibles, aka "Rick's," may be a bit off the beaten path, but over the past couple of years this over-stuffed shop near the corner of Main and Gerrard has become one of the city's main attractions for hiphop producers, club DJs and other serious breakspotters desperate to uncover fresh sample sources. The steady stream of dealer scavengers who used to hoover up the choice pieces for pennies has moved on since the price tags began to more accurately reflect market demand, but that just leaves a better selection for the informed crate-digger.".

This place is actually well out of the centre, so it's a bit more hardcore than some of the other stores. . .

Up on Yonge Street (just below Bloor, on the east side) is a shop called "Monster Records". They mostly do collectible sci fi and retro stuff, but they have some crates and I've pulled decent stuff out of there - i.e. Dennis Coffey - Goin For Myself and Roy Budd - Final Option - in the past.

Further South on Yonge and a bit north of Queen there's another record store called. . .ahh I forget. It's on the west side and you go up some stairs to reach it. Bit pricey, but they occasionally have interesting stuff and might cut you a deal. There's also a small back room, if the seller lets you in there. BEWARE- he is a very gay Quebecois with a habit of wearing PVC trousers !!! I managed to pull a sealed Bama - Ghettos of The Mind out of there for like (I think) $20 CDN - that's £8.00 !!

Further out on Queen Street East is Discovery Records
          (http://www.discoveryrecords.com/).

They are REALLY cheap and I've gotten good stuff from them before - Phantasm OST LP, $6.00, original Goblin - Zombi $25.00, Last Rebel OST - $8.00 etc. They should probably have lots of cheap and cheerful CTI jazz too. Faack. I miss Toronto diggin' man ! (In case you wondered, I lived there for a year in 2000).

On Queen Street East, there's another good shop called "Cosmos Records". This guy is Japanese and has TONS of amazing shit. Like original Blaculas, Black Emanuelles on the wall etc. Loads of latin, funk, jazz, whatever. Check this place out - it's like a museum. Unfortunately the prices are fucking ridiculous. And I've seen him in Ric collectibles before - where he obviously goes to buy loads of his stock.

Ok. Out on Queen West, where I used to live, there's a coupla stores opposite each other. NEUROTICA is occasionally interesting, but the guys in there are fucking morons and it's very overpriced. Across the street from this is SILVER DISCUS, which I used to actually work in ! Kind of. It's owned by a surly Ukranian called Stas. If a fat guy called George is behind the counter, say "Damon (from England) said hi". That might freak him out a bit. I used to hang in this store a lot, and it's cool - well worth a look, as the prices are very reasonable. The stock is kinda OK but they get the odd gem every now and again.

Another store well worth a look is a place called "Paradise Bound", not too far from Queen. It's in the Kensington Market area, and is at 270 Augusta. The owner is called Robert (again, if he's in there say "Damon from England said hi !!!", he knows who I am. . . ). His prices are very, very reasonable, and he has some good funk every now and then (got a Harvey Mandel - Baby Batter & Cristo Redentor from him, plus a Quincy Jones - Smackwater Jack etc). Sure, not superlative finds, but at CDN prices you're making a killing !!!

Here's a link to a website with some addresses and phone numbers of some of the stores mentioned above. I suggest you print it and get an A-Z, amigo !

http://www.toronto-underground.com/index.h....ds.html

Happy diggin' - let me know how you get on eh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ July 29 2004,21:18)]By far the BEST *&$&&*n store in Toronto is a place out east (I forget the name, but it's in the phone book and all the local diggers know it) called "Ric Collectibles". He has tons of great shit, does deals with a fella from Detroit. Lots of blackness on wax. Make the excursion fella. It's worth it.

Had a lot of great original funk, soundtracks, little bit of psyche, loads of crates and very reasonable prices. This is the one place you NEED to visit.

Here's what one website says. ..  

"Funky beats and breaks
            RIC COLLECTIBLES 155 Main, 416-690-6399.
            Located way over in the east end, Ric Collectibles, aka "Rick's," may be a bit off the beaten path, but over the past couple of years this over-stuffed shop near the corner of Main and Gerrard has become one of the city's main attractions for hiphop producers, club DJs and other serious breakspotters desperate to uncover fresh sample sources. The steady stream of dealer scavengers who used to hoover up the choice pieces for pennies has moved on since the price tags began to more accurately reflect market demand, but that just leaves a better selection for the informed crate-digger.".

This place is actually well out of the centre, so it's a bit more hardcore than some of the other stores. . .

Up on Yonge Street (just below Bloor, on the east side) is a shop called "Monster Records". They mostly do collectible sci fi and retro stuff, but they have some crates and I've pulled decent stuff out of there - i.e. Dennis Coffey - Goin For Myself and Roy Budd - Final Option - in the past.

Further South on Yonge and a bit north of Queen there's another record store called. . .ahh I forget. It's on the west side and you go up some stairs to reach it. Bit pricey, but they occasionally have interesting stuff and might cut you a deal. There's also a small back room, if the seller lets you in there. BEWARE- he is a very gay Quebecois with a habit of wearing PVC trousers !!! I managed to pull a sealed Bama - Ghettos of The Mind out of there for like (I think) $20 CDN - that's £8.00 !!

Further out on Queen Street East is Discovery Records
            (http://www.discoveryrecords.com/).

They are REALLY cheap and I've gotten good stuff from them before - Phantasm OST LP, $6.00, original Goblin - Zombi $25.00, Last Rebel OST - $8.00 etc. They should probably have lots of cheap and cheerful CTI jazz too. Faack. I miss Toronto diggin' man ! (In case you wondered, I lived there for a year in 2000).

On Queen Street East, there's another good shop called "Cosmos Records". This guy is Japanese and has TONS of amazing shit. Like original Blaculas, Black Emanuelles on the wall etc. Loads of latin, funk, jazz, whatever. Check this place out - it's like a museum. Unfortunately the prices are fucking ridiculous. And I've seen him in Ric collectibles before - where he obviously goes to buy loads of his stock.

Ok. Out on Queen West, where I used to live, there's a coupla stores opposite each other. NEUROTICA is occasionally interesting, but the guys in there are fucking morons and it's very overpriced. Across the street from this is SILVER DISCUS, which I used to actually work in ! Kind of. It's owned by a surly Ukranian called Stas. If a fat guy called George is behind the counter, say "Damon (from England) said hi". That might freak him out a bit. I used to hang in this store a lot, and it's cool - well worth a look, as the prices are very reasonable. The stock is kinda OK but they get the odd gem every now and again.

Another store well worth a look is a place called "Paradise Bound", not too far from Queen. It's in the Kensington Market area, and is at 270 Augusta. The owner is called Robert (again, if he's in there say "Damon from England said hi !!!", he knows who I am. . . ). His prices are very, very reasonable, and he has some good funk every now and then (got a Harvey Mandel - Baby Batter & Cristo Redentor from him, plus a Quincy Jones - Smackwater Jack etc). Sure, not superlative finds, but at CDN prices you're making a killing !!!

Here's a link to a website with some addresses and phone numbers of some of the stores mentioned above. I suggest you print it and get an A-Z, amigo !

http://www.toronto-underground.com/index.h....ds.html

Happy diggin' - let me know how you get on eh.
            Thanks for this. I've already had 3 of the Toronto guys contact me so if they don't take me to these spots I'll make my own way.

Comment

well let us know how you get on, I'll be there in September....

Comment

you back yet llmod1?

how'd it go?

Comment

Nope, not back yet. In Montreal now. Everything about Canada being great for records is true. Bought about 150 LP's which is almost my carrying limit.

Got a lead towards copies of Apres Ski soundtrack and Zoizoi 45's. Let me know if your seriously interested and how much you'd be willing to pay and I'll try to persue them. They won't be cheap but that's life.

Comment

150 lps! Dude thats going to be about 70kgs!

What airline lets you get on with that? Most do 40. The penalties are HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Trust me. I came back from japan with over 100kgs of stuff (the BA limit was 45 I think). They tried to charge me £400 to bring it on the plane...be careful!
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Aug. 16 2004,10:39)]150 lps&#33; Dude thats going to be about 70kgs&#33;

What airline lets you get on with that? Most do 40. The penalties are HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Trust me. I came back from japan with over 100kgs of stuff (the BA limit was 45 I think). They tried to charge me £400 to bring it on the plane...be careful&#33;
                      Serms, try the old hand luggage trick &#33;

I can&#39;t remember the last time that I had hand luggage weighed, as long as you record bag fits within the maximum size for hand luggage and they don&#39;t see you giving yourself a hernia attemting to lift it, you should be ok.
                      Matt Hero

Comment

Yeah I did&#33; I had a ninjatune back stuffed with records as hand luggage. It has to fit inside this cage for the scales and be less than 5kgs....Mine was like 25&#33; hehe.

It was so funny. I was at the checkin and they guy said the cost for coming onboard was £400&#33; I choked. So I told them to naff off and I went to the post office in the airport and posted it all back for £80. Cheeky feckers&#33;
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

My girlfriend has a loyalty card with the airline which means we get extra baggage allowance, still might not stretch to the weight I`m carrying so some sweet talking might be necessary&#33;&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Aug. 16 2004,19:16)]My girlfriend has a loyalty card with the airline which means we get extra baggage allowance, still might not stretch to the weight I`m carrying so some sweet talking might be necessary&#33;&#33;
                            Risky mate. I do what Sermad did but DIDN&#39;T wait until I&#39;m at the airport&#33; Just pack up all your records one night &amp; post them home - just take any real heat with you as hand luggage
                            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I did a little research and it appears that Air Canada allow you a weight limit of 10kg on hand luggage - not sure how many lps that is, around 50?? you can have 2 pieces of hand luggage though:

Info here

I thought I would travel light and then split the vinyl up into different bags/cases as well as filling my ninja tune bag.

I wouldn&#39;t bother sending it by post, surely the postage from Canada would be astronomical?

Comment

Working...
                              X