Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud music

hello

for anyone in london this week: the 2nd thursday of the month rolls around again on the 8th, and so that means it is time for Bring It Up! at the Asylum (1a Percy St, W1: corner of Rathbone place and charlotte st, nearest tube tottenham ct rd), where music will be played by myself and Liam. Bring It Up has been going for a year now, and with any luck it should be quite a laugh this thursday. Its a nice little venue, the drinks might seem a little pricy but they are exceptionally strong, and the music will be top notch. Speaking of which, we will be playing: Hip Hop, Funk, Soul, Reggae, Afrobeat, Dancehall, Ska, and probably Justin Timberlake too. Sound confusing? If it helps, i'll put a top 15....

so, Thursday is the day, free before 11pm and £3 thereafter, if you fancy a drink and a bit of dancing about, come along. its good fun, Nick will vouch for me...
    Bring It Up!, Thursday 8th May @ The Asylum, 1a Percy St. W1, 9.30ish - 2.30ish, £3 after 11.

Bring It Up! mixed bag 15:

Don Drummond: Allepon
    Explosions: Garden of Four Trees
    Ludacris: Rollout
    Spacek: Eve (Jay Dee remix)
    The Night Train: Making Tracks
    Ikenga Superstars of Africa: Greedy Man
    James Brown: Don't Tell It
    Justin Timberlake: Senorita
    Mulatu Astatke: Yekatit
    General Levy: Taliban Slam
    Sean Paul: Get Busy
    Redman: Da Goodness
    Impressions: We're a Winner
    Wailers: I'm Still Waiting
    Yvonne Fair: say yeah yeah

and one for luck

Lord Finesse: Fuck 'em

see you there, perhaps...

just pushing this to the top again... I can't promise an abundance of records to trade, or any for that matter, but surely thats not the only reason to go out for a drink? And on the subject of drinking, it appears that bottled beer is going to be half price before 10, so that's another good reason for attending, for the first hour or so at least. plus the music will be quality, of course...

Comment

it's a good little venue - went to those bootleg nights back in Feb or so last year when all that was kicking off - absolutely rammed. mental! hadn't realised anyone else was using it for music - it's normally a comedy club i think, or it used to be...

your playlist looks crazy...

Comment

although i haven't been down to the night, i can vouch for the solidity of Fin's picks - some bloody killer records are sure to be played...
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

howdy pard!
          have a vodka lime soda! and just reel with the feel!!!

Asylum drinks rock

Peace

J
          Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ 07 May 2003,17:22)]hadn't realised anyone else was using it for music - it's normally a comedy club i think, or it used to be...

your playlist looks crazy...
            Its normally just a bar, they do have comedy there a couple of nights a week though. We've been doing Bring it Up there since this time last year... we basically started it because there wasn't really anything playing the broad spectrum of stuff we wanted to hear. all the hip hop clubs were trendy and/or boring and crap, or bling (Breakin Bread being the notable exception), all the funk clubs were empty and the music was crap and the 'scene' stinks, neither type played any reggae to speak of, god alone knows what reggae nights are up to (not much, if 'musical murder' @ the net bar was anything to go by), but I bet its not playing funk records... so we did ourselves, adn the net result was that nobody from any of those scenes turned up. Funk people dismiss it, probably because as there is no holy man involved they fear they might not hear records worth £10million, and because of the threat of hiphop and reggae; hiphop people have complained about the amount of funk; reggae people just aren't going to turn up to a funk and hiphop night; evidently nobody wants to hear ethiopian music next to new dancehall tunes, obscure funk next to jay-z and justin, or afro-beat killers next to redman. And slowies at the end. Plus we had very dope guest djs. But in our opinion its their loss, so like Lord Finesse says, fuck 'em. See you there, maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (fin @ 08 May 2003,10:00)]Its normally just a bar, they do have comedy there a couple of nights a week though. We've been doing Bring it Up there since this time last year... we basically started it because there wasn't really anything playing the broad spectrum of stuff we wanted to hear. all the hip hop clubs were trendy and/or boring and crap, or bling (Breakin Bread being the notable exception), all the funk clubs were empty and the music was crap and the 'scene' stinks, neither type played any reggae to speak of, god alone knows what reggae nights are up to (not much, if 'musical murder' @ the net bar was anything to go by), but I bet its not playing funk records... so we did ourselves, adn the net result was that nobody from any of those scenes turned up. Funk people dismiss it, probably because as there is no holy man involved they fear they might not hear records worth £10million, and because of the threat of hiphop and reggae; hiphop people have complained about the amount of funk; reggae people just aren't going to turn up to a funk and hiphop night; evidently nobody wants to hear ethiopian music next to new dancehall tunes, obscure funk next to jay-z and justin, or afro-beat killers next to redman. And slowies at the end. Plus we had very dope guest djs. But in our opinion its their loss, so like Lord Finesse says, fuck 'em. See you there, maybe...
              and you can't beat that with a bat!!

word - sounds good, rolex is going to London soon but won't be there on a 'second thursday'

Comment

well, evidently London could beat that, with anything it seems, as nobody turned up. If it wasn't for the fact that there were a few people I knew there, the entire clientele would have been 1 japanese tourist, who mysteriously had a flyer and - even more unusual - knew why he was there. But that was it, so fuck that, and now Bring It Up is officially dead forever. Like the man said, that dream is over.

Comment

fin,

sorry to hear about the night going tits up. i keep asking myself the question of why must people be so bloody blinkered when it comes to what music they listen to? all that stuff about hip-hop people won't listen to funk and all the funk lot won't listen to whatver...it's a load of old crap, that sort of attitude. it puts me off organising a night myself.

some of us love listening to music, whether that's a piece of obscure electro-acoustic music from john cage, to library, to can, to anything else that's going. you name it. all of the vultures on here seem to be very open-minded.

it pays to keep an open mind. for all those people who have their heads stuck up their backsides - they're missing out.

rant over.

Comment

I hate to say it...but if your not booking a 'name' dj every week or your not in a trendy club...your going to find it tough to get people through the door.

At the club I spun at down in brighton, we had to spend a grand a week to get people in - we were generally competing against two/three established clubs on the same night. It was so hard to get people to come back - I left Brighton and havent been back since feb so I cant say how things are - I know the dj in control of it will be looking to book cheaper acts now!

I think one off parties are the way to go - once a month affairs - Get a name like the spread love crowd and build from there.

One thing about running a club - your mates come to the first one and then f off never to be seen again!! So does your girlfriend. baaah humbug
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Fin. I always enjoyed the nights down there... Sorry I couldn&#39;t make it down there last night dude... problem with London is that there&#39;s too many crap clubs eveywhere...
                      http://wakeupanddie.com
                      http://weirdgearnyc.com
                      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (sermad @ 09 May 2003,16:08)]One thing about running a club - your mates come to the first one and then f off never to be seen again&#33;&#33; So does your girlfriend. baaah humbug  
                        wise words mate&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (fin @ 09 May 2003,13:26)]well, evidently London could beat that, with anything it seems, as nobody turned up... But that was it, so fuck that, and now Bring It Up is officially dead forever. Like the man said, that dream is over.
                          I&#39;m really sorry to hear that mate - although I&#39;ve never been to one of your nights, I&#39;ve always enjoyed your posts about them - both here and on some other less open-minded sites - and the diversity of your playlists. If it wasn&#39;t for the facts that:
                          I live in Bristol, not London
                          I work on most Thursday nights
                          I&#39;m a decrepit old fart who&#39;d rather stay in when he&#39;s not working
                          I&#39;d have been there every time...
                          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

well, thanks everybody for the support... it is a shame that we feel forced to wind it up, but theres always something else. Indeed, something quite soon... might only be a one off for now, and will be located in west rather than central London, in a brand spanking new little place which a) has possibly the best sound system I have ever heard, custom built for the premises by a man evidently obsessed with bass, and b) is, strangely enough, called The Fin... you will be kept posted of course.

Comment

Sorry to hear bout the old shizzie,
                              Glad to hear bout the new Dizzle&#33;
                              Cool &amp; The Gnag&#33;
                              P
                              [QUOTE]I hate to say it...but if your not booking a &#39;name&#39; dj every week or your not in a trendy club...your going to find it tough to get people through the door.

Well if Ollie Teeba of Herbaliser fame could&#39;nt lift the bar no one could&#33;
                              Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Working...
                              X