Chas & dave, flying dutchman, peter covent & more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chas & dave, flying dutchman, peter covent & more

Strange this one,that chas and dave ( under the name oily rags)recorded an LP with oliver nelson on flying dutchman records in 1974, I didn't purchase it as I was really dubious about it, was I right to do this?
    I did pick up a double LP by peter covent though on philips from 1971 "the happy sound of" though not non stop thank goodness.It has great versions of "immmigrant song" "tequila" "house of the rising sun" and much more splendid happy madness.I picked it up as the name "Bearb" was on it, whcih I persume is the same guy from the chris bruhn LP "jump in" though I may be mistaken.
    Picked a new James Last LP a month or so ago "james Last and the rolling trinity" from 1979.
    "hey all you boys and all you girls" is cool funky disco.
    Whilst "(better watch out ) the booman" is to "mr giant man"/"voodoo lady loves" what "chilli con carne" is to "happy brasilia" recorded years apart but is virtually its close cousin.
    Complete with scary male and female vocals, check it out I kid you not.
    Also the sleeve would be banned today due to dubious photo of kids on the back eating ice cream, front shot there on roller skates.
    I picked up an Lp called "film themes for amateur movie makers volume 3" by Eric Pep and dave anthony on acorn records months ago which has 2 great tracks on "funky ride" sounding like lalo and quincy.
    And the greatly named "charlie chaser" which is hypnotically good fun.
    Has anyone got volume 1 or 2 and what are they like? and is there anymore? any info would be great.
    there only noodles michael...

Peter Covent is a pseudonym for Carlos Diernhammer, and 'Bearb' isn't a surname, it's short for 'bearbeitet', which is basically German for 'arranged by'. I don't have nearly enough Peter Covent in my collection, so I'm very jealous of you for finding this one!

Oliver Nelson is the bloke who wrote the theme from 'The Six Million Dollar Man', isn't he? The thought of him and Chas 'n' Dave teaming up sounds like an amazing combination to me!

The name Dave Anthony sounds very familiar, and I'm not sure why - if I remember anything, I'll post back here.

Comment

Which Peter Covent lp has "Spinning Wheel"?

David
      God bless Fatso.

Comment

I've seen a few Theresa Brewer (who hell she?) LPs about on Flying Dutchman and one is something about Theresa doing her thing in good old Blighty and who are the two lovely Londoners pictured with her on the sleeve? Gertcha.

They must have had a fair reputation back in those days though, session work with Flying Dutchman and the renowned work with Labi Siffre.

Shame they hooked up with a shower of shite like Spurs really.
        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Aug. 02 2004,21:40)]Oliver Nelson is the bloke who wrote the theme from 'The Six Million Dollar Man', isn't he? The thought of him and Chas 'n' Dave teaming up sounds like an amazing combination to me!
          The Six Million Bob & Threepence Pearly Queen

That would've changed the world in so many ways...
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I got Lasts' "non-stop dancing 13" the other day with a lovely bit of put your hand in the hand but its part of a medley and sounds like its live... anyone know if there's another version (with a cleaner break)?

bit off the topic i know but someone mentioned the big JL and it got me wonderin...

Comment

Chas & Dave's debut album appeared on Flying Dutchman and was produced by Bob Thiele.

Back in the early days, the fellas were property for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Hooded Claw @ Aug. 03 2004,15:01)]I got Lasts' "non-stop dancing 13" the other day with a lovely bit of put your hand in the hand but its part of a medley and sounds like its live... anyone know if there's another version (with a cleaner break)?
                Just check the main pages...
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Belson @ Aug. 03 2004,15:06)]Chas & Dave's debut album appeared on Flying Dutchman and was produced by Bob Thiele.

Oh dear, did we make a terrible mistake by giving them the swerve at Big Chill?
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Thanks Rich, I've been schooled.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Belson @ Aug. 03 2004,15:06)]Chas & Dave's debut album appeared on Flying Dutchman and was produced by Bob Thiele.

I've been told this is a different Chas n Dave. But is that true or NOT TRUE?
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Nah mate.

The photo I saw on the Theresa Brewer sleeve (on Flying Dutchman and featuring a whole bunch of stellar UK session heads) was definitely the bearded cockernee sparrers of 'Rabbit' fame.

I'm still waiting to find that rare Flying Dutchman release, elusive collaboration with Gil 'The Geezer' Scott-Heron.

"Junkie walking through the twilight, pissing ap the soide of the Rose and Craaahhn!" etc
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Hooded Claw @ Aug. 03 2004,16:13)] Thanks Rich, I've been schooled.
                          No problemo! Others you may find in the charities include...

Anne Murray (on 'Snowbird&#39
                          New Freedom Singers (on 'Oh Happy Day&#39
                          Bert Kaempfert (on 'Now&#39

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Aug. 03 2004,16:30)]Nah mate.

The photo I saw on the Theresa Brewer sleeve (on Flying Dutchman and featuring a whole bunch of stellar UK session heads) was definitely the bearded cockernee sparrers of 'Rabbit' fame.

I'm still waiting to find that rare Flying Dutchman release, elusive collaboration with Gil 'The Geezer' Scott-Heron.

"Junkie walking through the twilight, pissing ap the soide of the Rose and Craaahhn!" etc
                            Well this means I am right and poncy feathercut hairstyle boy is WRONG.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Aug. 03 2004,16:37)]...poncy feathercut hairstyle boy is WRONG.
                              We used to have *exactly* the right emoticon for that - where's it gone Serms?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X