101 -strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 -strings

I recently came back from a holyday trip from Copenhagen. I found some good record shops there! One of the record I bought was "101-strings orchestra plays Jim Webb" -Alshire 1976. Besides the usual Webb tracks, there's a car chase funk track "Run Alice Run" that is fat as hell. Is there any other 101-strings record from the 70's that's worth looking for?

Thanks

Other copenhagen finds:

Jose Feliciano -Angela OST
    Johnny Howard Orch -Something special -Contour
    Spinners -Love trippin
    Kid Creole and the coconuts -tropical gangsters
    Rock Gently with.. -Alan Moorhouse
    Daniel Sentacruz Ensemble -"dos"
    Hair -Danish Cast (double)
    Moody -The gentle rain -(reissue)

From Ebay:
    Capitol Media Music The Professionals vol 18.

Capitol Media Music The Professionals vol 19. Arranged by Roger Webb with "Cosmic Disco" ,"Bionic Soul", "Star Patrol" and "Fying Objects" beeing the best. Did Roger Actually write for Capitol in the states, or are his stuff licenced from other british library-labels?

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 03 2004,11:18)]Johnny Howard Orch -Something special -Contour
    that's interesting - both my copies are on rediffusion, i didn't realise contour licenced from r.i.m. as well...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (wooly @ Aug. 03 2004,12:20)]
      Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 03 2004,11:18)]Johnny Howard Orch -Something special -Contour
      that's interesting - both my copies are on rediffusion, i didn't realise contour licenced from r.i.m. as well...  
      My mistake, it was on reddifusion...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 02 2004,12:18)]Is there any other 101-strings record from the 70's that's worth looking for?
        There's a Golden Hour Of Favourite TV Themes one by 101 Strings featuring solid versions of Shaft, Hawaii Five-0, Ironside, MASH, FBI and Kojak that must be sourced from other 101 Strings LPs of the time, so there are certainly a few scattered about their catalogue in the 70s cop show vein. That said, they're pretty standard versions - not a patch on the classic 101 Strings 60s stuff, like 'Sounds Of Today', 'Les Baxter Conducts', 'Exotic Sounds Of Love' or 'Astro Sounds From Beyond The Year 2000', though...Doubt there's much because in Joseph Lanza's 'Elevator Music' there's an interview with Al Sherman, who notes that "we had many weird albums like Astro Sounds, but got so many letters from the midwest objecting to the zany formats that we stopped".
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (wayne @ Aug. 03 2004,12:33)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 02 2004,12:18)]Is there any other 101-strings record from the 70's that's worth looking for?
          There's a Golden Hour Of Favourite TV Themes one by 101 Strings featuring solid versions of Shaft, Hawaii Five-0, Ironside, MASH, FBI and Kojak that must be sourced from other 101 Strings LPs of the time, so there are certainly a few scattered about their catalogue in the 70s cop show vein. That said, they're pretty standard versions - not a patch on the classic 101 Strings 60s stuff, like 'Sounds Of Today', 'Les Baxter Conducts', 'Exotic Sounds Of Love' or 'Astro Sounds From Beyond The Year 2000', though...Doubt there's much because in Joseph Lanza's 'Elevator Music' there's an interview with Al Sherman, who notes that "we had many weird albums like Astro Sounds, but got so many letters from the midwest objecting to the zany formats that we stopped".
          Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 03 2004,11:18)]From Ebay:

Capitol Media Music The Professionals vol 19. Arranged by Roger Webb with "Cosmic Disco" ,"Bionic Soul", "Star Patrol" and "Fying Objects" beeing the best. Did Roger Actually write for Capitol in the states, or are his stuff licenced from other british library-labels?
            Ooh - very interesting! Any chance of some more details/sound samples?

Many moons ago I was outbid on eBay on a Captiol library LP which apparently had Roger Webb's theme tune to 'George and Mildred' on it - now, if the sheet music for that is correct, that was published by Chandos, so maybe that's where these tracks came from? Chandos did some library stuff in the 60s, but I don't know how long they continued producing for.

Comment

I will find the details for you. The music sounds very much like it could be some of his disco funk stuff from DeWolfe. I remember that it was no credit to dewolfe or chandos.

The record was included in a package of 6 libs that I won from ebay for 1£! The seller, a very nice guy, let me send money in NOK! Thank god for ebay (sometimes..)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Aug. 03 2004,14:51)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 03 2004,11:18)]From Ebay:

Ooh - very interesting! Any chance of some more details/sound samples?

Many moons ago I was outbid on eBay on a Captiol library LP which apparently had Roger Webb's theme tune to 'George and Mildred' on it - now, if the sheet music for that is correct, that was published by Chandos, so maybe that's where these tracks came from? Chandos did some library stuff in the 60s, but I don't know how long they continued producing for.
                I checked it and the publisher was Unisound.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (wayne @ Aug. 03 2004,11:33)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Isn't the "latin holiday" LP worth picking up as well?
                  there only noodles michael...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (BONBON @ Aug. 04 2004,21:53)]Isn't the "latin holiday" LP worth picking up as well?
                    Believe me...you want that "Latin Holiday" LP....completely lush affair!
                    Oh....and it includes that track those Thievery boys comped years ago!
                    Don't sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (markie @ Aug. 07 2004,10:06)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (BONBON @ Aug. 04 2004,21:53)]Isn't the "latin holiday" LP worth picking up as well?
                      Believe me...you want that "Latin Holiday" LP....completely lush affair!
                      Oh....and it includes that track those Thievery boys comped years ago!
                      Don't sleep!
                      When did this came out?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Aug. 09 2004,21:45)]When did this came out?
                        Hey Funky Tee,

My copy is on Alshire and it says 1972 but I'm pretty sure it's a late 60's thing.
                        Actually it's Lex Baxter conducting the 101 Strings (he penned all of the tracks as well).
                        I believe a friend of mine has a copy on a different label with a different sleeve.
                        Shouldn't be too hard to find a copy on the bay.
                        good luck!

Comment

Correction, it was only released on Alshire but with 2 different sleeves. I think the first edition was called "Que Mango!"
                          And it's from 1972.....

Comment

Is "Love Is Blue" by 101 Strings any good?
                            I'm just an addict, addicted to music, maybe it's a habit, I gotta use it

Comment

Working...
                            X