Satans slave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satans slave

just watched the brit horror film satans slave, music by john scott, nothing funky although it does get it bit avant-garde/free jazz at times, just wondered if john scott was the same guy as johnny scott on the studio 2 bravo brasso lp, also what other music has he composed, i know i could google this, but i prefer asking you guys (lord thames, moviegrooves help).
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Yes, it's the same bloke - his score for the Doomwatch movie is also highly recommended, though he never commercially recorded it, unfortunately.

On record, he did loads of stuff for the Peer and Southern libraries, a lot of which is top-drawer stuff, though consider yourself lucky if you ever manage to pick up a copy of 'Big Hammer' for under a ton! Also worth picking up are his two movie themes LPs on Polydor, where you can hear a great version of the theme from 'Shaft's Big Score' and where he got the inspiration for the themes to Nationwide and Midweek.

I'd also like to add he is probably the nicest bloke in the world! I'm sure he'd be up for a VV interview if someone could get hold of him.

Comment

And the 'Great Modern Film Themes' LP has the grooviest version of 'Theme From Exodus' you'll ever hear! Funky orchestra with fatback drums and widescreen strings, a la Johnny Harris, Les Baxter Conducts 101 Strings etc. In fact it does sound very alike 'A Taste Of Soul' from the latter LP. Dope I say, dope!
      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (vibra @ Aug. 05 2004,15:30)]And the 'Great Modern Film Themes' LP has the grooviest version of 'Theme From Exodus' you'll ever hear! Funky orchestra with fatback drums and widescreen strings, a la Johnny Harris, Les Baxter Conducts etc. Dope I say, dope!
        Is that the one with the green sleeve Vibes ?
        Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Aug. 05 2004,15:37)]Is that the one with the green sleeve Vibes ?
          I do believe there is some green involved, but the most notable detail of the cover is the essential 60s mod-styled fine filly in revealing Bridget Rileyesque dress. Well, that's what I can remember anyhow..
          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (vibra @ Aug. 05 2004,15:44)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Aug. 05 2004,15:37)]Is that the one with the green sleeve Vibes ?
            I do believe there is some green involved, but the most notable detail of the cover is the essential 60s mod-styled fine filly in revealing Bridget Rileyesque dress. Well, that's what I can remember anyhow..
            Hmm, better give that LP a better listen then. Picked it up at the boot full of anticipation and felt a bit let down when I played it.

Might have just been a bad day.
            Matt Hero

Comment

His 'Communication' LP on Columbia is excellent, especially the jazz dance version of Caravan (how fast!&#33, featuring Duncan Lamont, Barry Morgan, David Snell & Arthur Watts. Some good orig. comps & jazz standards.
              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Damn, not heard of 'Communication' - there's also 'Purcell Variations for Five' featuring the same line up, which goes may be a bit 'free-jazz' for some.  John & his daughter were looking for this one for a while, and ended up paying £20 for it - my copy (which he signed for me) I got for a quid!

That version of Exodus is great, by the way.

Comment

he did a few things under other names or other versions of his name too - i think it was Johnny Scott, John Patrick Scott or John Scott most of the time.

many of his best funky ones were never released, although some of the non-funky film and TV themes came out on pretty HTF 45s.
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I, too, saw 'Satan's Slave' when they showd it on BBC1 two weeks ago - I love those bizarre, low-budget '70s British films!

John Scott is indeed a great composer. As with a lot of these guys, his best (funk/jazz/rock) stuff came out on library records or was never released. Some of my favourite LPs with John Scott tracks on include -

KPM - Visual Impact (1976)
                    Bruton - Thriller/Suite of the Shark (1978)
                    Bruton - Life's Ritual (1980)
                    Peer International - Zenith (1972)

John also underscored many of the episodes of the 'Return of the Saint' TV series. This is not strictly true, however, as while he did actually write some original music for various episodes, many of them used his Bruton library material.

The 'Thriller/Suite of the Shark' album was used extensively in this regard, and as such can almost be thought of as a 'Return of the Saint' vinyl OST!
                    A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

The new Return Of The Saint DVDs are threatening to include isolated music and effects tracks........iiiiinteresting!

The episode 'Muder Cartel' makes good use of Brian Dee/Irving Martin's Indianapolis, as heard on the Strut Chappell comp - very nice indeed.

Comment

thanks for all the info guys.
                        I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

There is a fan site for John Scott's film composing:
                          http://webhome.idirect.com/~rlevy/

He composed the music to one of my all-time favorites, "The Final Countdown" in 1980. Great, stirring music. http://webhome.idirect.com/~rlevy/countdown_info.html

Major League Baseball in the USA chose John Scott's "Gathering Crowds" from KPM 1138 as the closing theme to their weekly "This Week in Baseball" program. The opener is "Jet Set" by Mike Vickers from KPM 1111.
                          sigpic
                          Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
                          [email protected]
                          http://hoodliners.blogspot.com My hoodliners for cars that I make!
                          Westland, Michigan USA
                          1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC

Comment

Working...
                          X