Oh to be in paris in the springtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh to be in paris in the springtime

Ok, just got back from my long weekend, birthday jaunt to Paris. Weather was great, food fantastic, and the records...just read on!

To start with I have to say that I spent around £300 pounds which is a lot of cash but I reckon I got my monies worth, and it was my birthday so £5 from grans, aunts, uncles etc came in handy!

These records came from shops, markets and peoples front rooms. Quite a few doubles in here so keep your eyes pealed for my upcoming auctions!

45's

Nino Ferrer - Mirza - Two great tracks on here.
    Resonance - OK Chicago
    Rotation - Rotation

Doubles

Janet Pidoux - La Classe de Jazz - Hammond and drums only, I've seen this listed on one dealers list as the best breaks lp ever, I'm not sure about this but it is great.

Nino Ferrer - Nino and Radiah - Great lp, Moses is my fav but I'm sure Belson told me that he spins another track from this lp. Cool cover too!

Louis Armstrong - and Friends - Great version of Creator has a Master Plan with Leon Thomas.

Deodato - Os Catedraticos - Cool Japanese issue of the best Deodato lp with the amazing dancefloor track Skyscrapers.

April Orch - Vol 1 - First lp on this long running library series from France, Exciting Mrs Brown is the best track.

Tom Scott - Rural Still Life - Title song has been sampled numerous times and rocks! This is a gatefold MCA Impulse issue.

Voco Presents - Lights out San Francisco - Loads of tracks on here with Dead being my Fav.

James Last - Voodo Party - must be his most consistent lp, yeah I know that isn't saying a lot.

Pierre Henry - Messe Pour Le Temps - Original green label issue of this awesome lp. No excuses for not having this, I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here!

Rhoda Scott - Live at The Olympia - Double of Rhoda at the Hammond, loads of great versions inc Thank you for Lettin' me be Myself.

Records to Keep

Library

April Orch - Vol 1 - Yeah I found two copies of this. Actually I was amazed at how many library lp's I saw in Paris just in regular stores. OK not Big Beats and Stringtronics everywhere but definitely some nice things.

April Orch - Vol 5+6 - At least one or two worthwhile things on each of these.

April Orch - Vol 15 - Lard Free - This used to be a big money title on this label.

Chappell (French) - New Sound Illustration - I really love the sound on these French Chappells and this is definitely one of the best.

Telemusic - 100% Vibrato - Herve Roy LP with one or two bits.

Boosey and Hawkes - The New Dance Orch - Some cool fuzz and cop stuff on here.

ECAP - Top Instrumental Music - Great 60's sounding fuzz lp.

Jazz/Funk/Jerk/etc

Humber College Jazz Ensemble - Big Band Jazz Vol 2 - One of those direct to dsic records. Great version of Aquarius. Also track called Skump Chowder, heavy break into excellent funky jazz. Is this a cover?

Michel Legrand - Summer of 42 - I've overlooked this lp many times but there is one nugget on there called High IQ.

Ray Davis - Why Can't we all be Together - Shaft and Truckin'. Button Down Brass collection complete!

The Hotvill's - Slow and Soul Beat Party - Exploito lp with some cool moments.

Danse a Go Go - One very cool jerk track called Hoodlum's Parade Jerk.

Fausto Papetti - Sexy Slow with Tina - One great track called Splesch.

Hits Again - Another version of the Rotation track that I found on 45.

Jazz Tribune - Paris, Feb 1976 - Road Island Red by Cedar Walton is the track.

Funk Inc - Priced to Sell - Axelord produced niceness!

Mike Longo - The Awakening - Really great funky jazz lp, highly recommended.

Baden Powell - Afro Samba - Canto de Ossanha is great.

Light Flight - Magical Ring - This has been getting some attention on the Bay recently and deservedly so.

The Holy Grails (For me at Least)

If you've bothered to read this far you'll find the records that made my trip. Not dollar bin finds but still very cheap considering.

Ice - The Afro Instrumental LP - The last one I needed to complete my collection and most definetely the best.

Davy Jones and the Voodo Funk Machine - Really great price from Youri, top bloke aswell.

J.C. Pelletier - Streaking! - I have been looking for this for ages. Found it for cheap in an old guys front room. This lp for me really lives up to its hype, unbelieveable. It does have some biro on the front. Am I right in thinking that lighter fluid may get this off or did I dream that?

CCPP - CCPP - Really, really rare jazz rock lp from Andre Ceccarelli and friends. This is packed full of funky tracks and breaks. Great price again.

Finally........... Quinteplus - Quinteplus - This is a great lp from Argentina, I'm not sure how much it's worth but I know that it's rare.

So that's it. I was amazed at how many records I found in Paris because I know there are some really deep collectors living there. Maybe I was just lucky! Anyway Happy Birthday to me!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ 05 May 2003,19:08)]Finally........... Quinteplus - Quinteplus - This is a great lp from Argentina, I'm not sure how much it's worth but I know that it's rare.
    how much did this cost ya?
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Quinteplus 100 euros approx, part of a job lot.

I also saw your new find, Vannier I think (textured sleve with naked guy on front) The guy in the store literally brought this in when I was there, he didn&#39;t want to sell it to me though as he said it was the first copy he&#39;d found in years. Strange a record shop that didn&#39;t want to sell records&#33;&#33;

Comment

bit of a steal for 100 euros.

I met youri at utrecht with seb. He is a nice chap.

One of the best april orchestra is 16. I always kick over these in holland.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I didn&#39;t know that you came to Paris. Next time, send me an email so that we could arrange some trades.
          The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
          Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (sermad @ 05 May 2003,20:15)]I met youri at utrecht with seb. He is a nice chap.
            wouldn&#39;t be so sure about Youri - would swap his granny for a disco 12&quot; - truth is he doesn&#39;t like music, guy got no ears, just wants the &#036;&#036;&#036;.

looks like you did well, specialy the last 4 - QUINTEPLUS for a 100euro - you won&#39;t find it in Argentina for that price..

i was offerd that STREAKING with the biro, old guy with a nice hifi all valves &amp; co

anyway, me &amp; seb are too lazy&#33; time to get back on the case - saying that - i still have too many records in me flat- need to sell more.. just well slack.
            http://www.iueke.com/

Comment

That&#39;s the guy, managed to remove all the biro from the cover use rubing alcohol, looks good as new

Comment

you didn&#39;t get the QUINTEPLUS off him also??
                good contact, you&#39;re lucky to have found him... i think i&#39;m gonna have a word with him tho - hihihi
                http://www.iueke.com/

Comment

quinteplus nice.
                  Last time I went to paris I saw some nice things but the problem is the condition of a lot of records.
                  I didn&#39;t buy much.
                  Lucky there are alot of friendly people that can sort you out.
                  (all the in house dealers..)

I have to add that paris has some strange shops owners
                  Some of them are on a other planet.

Comment

I&#39;m gonna be in Paris in a couple of weeks (its for work so won&#39;t be too much time to go digging) but any suggested places to check out. If I have time I usually go to places like Crocodisc in the 5th.
                    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ 06 May 2003,11:35)]I&#39;m gonna be in Paris in a couple of weeks (its for work so won&#39;t be too much time to go digging) but any suggested places to check out. If I have time I usually go to places like Crocodisc in the 5th.
                      When are you going ?
                      Ill be there 29/30/31.

Comment

I have work stuff on the 20th through to 23rd, might go for a weekend either before or after but looks like no crossover.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ 06 May 2003,11:35)]I&#39;m gonna be in Paris in a couple of weeks (its for work so won&#39;t be too much time to go digging) but any suggested places to check out. If I have time I usually go to places like Crocodisc in the 5th.
                          Look at the previous posts. I&#39;m pretty sure we already had a discussion about Paris shops. If not, I&#39;ll maybe try to make an effort.
                          The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (iueke @ 05 May 2003,23:48)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (sermad @ 05 May 2003,20:15)]I met youri at utrecht with seb. He is a nice chap.
                            wouldn&#39;t be so sure about Youri - would swap his granny for a disco 12&quot;  - truth is he doesn&#39;t like music, guy got no ears, just wants the &#036;&#036;&#036;.

He he he... I feel like having already heard that before. Always the same old stories...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ 05 May 2003,20:01)]I also saw your new find, Vannier I think (textured sleve with naked guy on front) The guy in the store literally brought this in when I was there, he didn&#39;t want to sell it to me though as he said it was the first copy he&#39;d found in years. Strange a record shop that didn&#39;t want to sell records&#33;&#33;
                              You know sometimes it&#39;s pretty hard to put a price on a record if this record bloody rare. And this one is that rare that I can understand the dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X