X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was a weekend!

Well, that was my weekend:

From the postie:

Inner Ear - s/t Don Rendell plus ILL OPEN DRUMS!
    Morgana KIng - I know how it feels to be lonely (who suggested she covered Tomorrow Never Knows in a jazz style?)
    101 Strings - Sounds of Today - cheers Veris!

Oxfam:
    Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk
    absolutely perfect copy!
    Terry Woods and Maddy Prior - Summer Solstice
    hey nonny no etc..

Bristol Record Fair (mostly from some guy who was giving up the game and selling everything half price):

Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight -Eternal fire of...
    rough ol' Jimi drums

Hugo Montenegro - Moog Power (trade)
    you know it..

Claude Denjean - Moog! (trade)
    drums

Arthur Lee - Vindicator

Birtha - s/t

Ruby Jones - S/t
    Curtis Mayfield produced funky rock

Noir - We had to let you have it
    funky UK black psych/prog on Dawn

Monday pickings...at the Redland community fair in Bristol. Happens every year in a park, lots of nice middle-class people, vegan food, children's entertainers, and...

45's:
    Juicy Lucy - Who do you love
    Titanic - Sultana
    Rattles - The Witch/Geraldine
    African Music Machine - Tropical
    Charisma - Steppingsole is his name (South African '71 hard rock on CBS)
    Lee Dorsey -Go Go Girl
    Alan Haven - Image
    Albert Collins - Thaw Out
    Prelude - Edge of the Sea
    Mel and Tim - Feeling Bad

Reggae 45's (almost all UK OG's, a couple of Jamaican pressings):
    Henry and Liza - Hole Under Crutches
    T T Ross - Single Girl
    Derrick Pitter - The World and its People
    Hortense Ellis - I'm still in love with you (TUUUUNE&#33
    Ginger Williams - I can't resist your tenderness
    Roy Shirley - Heart-breaking Jepsey
    Honey Boy - Sweet Cherrie
    Claudette Miller - Tonight is the night
    Pat Kelley - How long will it take
    Treasure Roy - Message to Martha
    Chosen Few - Stoned in love
    Bobby Curtis - Cry
    Wes Brooks - My mind is made up
    Sir Lee - Light up the chalice
    Lynn Alice - You keep me hanging on

plus one mystery (and good) 45 on BIG with the labels scratched out...

LP's:
    Spencer Davis Group - Gluggo
    Mae West - Great Balls of Fire
    Wet Willie - Keep on smilin'
    Jackie Lomax - Home is in my head
    Joe Stampley - Soul Song
    Marcia Griffiths - Naturally (High Note JA press)
    Gold Connection - Gold Connection (LTD JA press)
    reggae covers of earlydisco/soul tunes - anyone know anything about this one?
    Curtis Mayfield - Roots
    Mountain - Live
    Culture - Baldhead Bridge (Joe Gibbs)
    Original London cast - Hair

One book:
    Jan Reid 'The improbable rise of redneck rock'
    1977, "Redneck rock is sweeping the country...." Willie Nelson and so on.

and some rather nice dhal and rice.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Nice haul John..... myself and Rich hit 3 boot sales on Saturday / Sunday and to be honest I didn't find *that* much..... picked the Major Minor pressing of Rita's 'Erotica' for a quid and a couple of doubles just out of despiration in the end. Oh, and a Two Ronnies LP
    Matt Hero

Comment

I've got the "Gold Connection" LP on a UK pressing (Charmers). I seem to remember posting about this one before. My copy is credited to (organist) Harold Butler. From memory, my copy says it was a JA recording with additional effects and percussion added in UK (Lloyd Charmers). There's some Eddie Grant involvement. Its a top LP, marred in places by a horribly dated string synth sound.
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Anyone else enjoy a good weekend

... it was as difficult as ever trying to dig in the North East this weekend, an ever-decreasing number of crates to look in, and full of just the 'same old same old'... twinned with the fact that I missed out on everything I was bidding for on eBay did feel like rubbin' salt in a bit  

Still, the sun did pop out from behind a cloud on Monday and the Redcar booter and charity shops did turn up a few bits. Nothing too exciting, but still worth a mention...

Colourbox "self titled LP" (4AD)
        Cabaret Voltaire "The Voice Of America" (Rough Trade)

...a couple of bits from the 80's, I used to love the cut-up sample track "Edit The Dragon" by Colourbox, complete with mad kung-fu chops. The Cab's LP is from 1980, a very early release on the Rough Trade label. "Obsession" - Nice...

2 Live Crew "Live In Concert" (Full Effect)
        Community People "Education Wrap" (Delmar 12-inch)

... a couple of rap bits that couldn't be more chalk and cheese! The 2 Live LP is just stooopid, sex, sex and more sex I suppose... The 12" on Delmar is from 1980, I love the way the label has been printed as "Wrap" rather than "Rap" - hehe! The track is all about getting your grades and graduating from high-school. Musically, it sounds a lot like Rappers Delight. Anyone know anything about this twelve ??  

Les Humphries Singers "Mexico" (Polydor)
        Helena Vondrackova "Isle Of Helena" (Supraphon)

Hmm, jury's still out on this two... the title track on the Les Humph LP has some mad flange effect thing going on that got my already alcoholic-battered mind all frothy. The Czech LP from '71 is loaded with Bacharach covers and a Czech-language version of The Beatles "Honey Pie" that just confused me... (easily done)

... not a bad couple of hours in the sun !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (son of stan @ 06 May 2003,10:39)]I've got the "Gold Connection" LP on a UK pressing (Charmers). I seem to remember posting about this one before. My copy is credited to (organist) Harold Butler. From memory, my copy says it was a JA recording with additional effects and percussion added in UK (Lloyd Charmers). There's some Eddie Grant involvement. Its a top LP, marred in places by a horribly dated string synth sound.
          Intriguing - be interesting to know if your copy has those annoying synths John, or whether they did the usual import job of adding strings for the UK market.

My haul wasn't the best I've ever had from Matt's booters but I have to buy records regardless so...

45's

Shocking Blue - Venus/Hot Sand (p/s)
          Ides Of March - Vehicle
          White Plains - er? (only bought 'cos it's a Deram promo)
          Georgie Fame - Seventh Son
          CBS promo with a Peddlers track
          Avenue promo
          Wayne Fontana And The Mindbenders - Game Of LOve

LP's

Titanic - er, again (pretty underwhelmed by the 'breaks' to be honest)
          Various - You Can All Join In (Island comp)
          Tubeway Army LP with 'Are Friends Electric?'
          Gladys Knight And The Pips - Pipe Dreams
          two Ike And Tina LPs
          Leon Thomas LP (on Philips from Flying Dutchman, with Pretty Purdie on skins)
          Disco Dynamite LP (with Dippin' Wet - spare)
          Geoff Love - Big Terror (spare)
          Bodacious D.F. (spare)

And my second National Youth Jazz Orchestra LP in a month (this one's Live At LWT from 1975). Both LPs have some really good moments and the LWT LP features compositions by Mike Vickers, John Cameron, etc. Anybody know any others I should be looking for???

Finally, a couple of bad punts. Three Billy Vaughn LPs without anything as good as Soulful Strut or Time Of The Season (for my teadance set at the local Derby And Joan...). And a Marcia Griffiths live double LP. Which I didn't realise was missing the first LP until I got it home - duh!

Cheers for the hospitality Matt and Cas!
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

quote from John Stapleton: Hortense Ellis - I'm still in love with you (TUUUUNE&#33

Choon indeed kiddo, is this the UK press with Janet Kay's sublime version of Minnie's "Loving You"? Cant find mine right now as it's deep under a pile of roots 45's in the loft but it's on some reissue label. Still is a heck of a double whammy 45.

My weekend was pretty cool as it turned out. Started Thursday with a little set down in Notting Hill Gate way to a crowd of around 150 punters who certainly came to par-tay and just about dug all the funky nuggets thrown at them without mercy.
            Friday was wicked as it was the evening I got my second viewing of City of God in the west end, cannot say enuf how much I loved this film the first time I saw it so I did it again!
            Saturday started as a sobering experience as a few friends and I holed up in an overtly trendy Islington type bar in Essex road but turned out as one hell of a messy affair with the dj cutting up Queen and Ultravox classics over jiggy hip-hop, original rare groove and old House classics [used to be called Upfront] Top party type mash up with plenty smiling faces and a zillion hands in the air. Sunday saw me hook up with a few people down in the dirty ol' east end. I managed to catch a friend of mine perform some poetry at this open mike session in Spitz and afterwards enjoy dj Yyvan's choice of rootsy selections. Monday was reserved for me and me only,  spending most of it on the sofa indulging my original obsession of watching movies: checked Tod Browning's Freaks, Leonard Kastle's Honeymoon Killers before finishing off with one from my top 5, Harry Kumel's Daughters of Darkness. Nuff said.
            That's what I call a pretty good weekend.  

I was raised by wolves

Comment

It was a decent weekend for me.

It involved watching United resume their rightful place of ascendancy and the concomitant pleasure of listening to cockney bleating.

And, inspired by the VV community, I made sure to take advantage of the Bank Holiday sunshine and hit my first proper car boots.

So, Saturday I visited a couple of sleepy Lincolnshire towns and hammered the 2nd hand vinyl shop and all the charities I could find (while taking a couple of hours our to watch United). Sunday I walked 3.5 miles to get a bus to a local car boot (repeated this magnificent effort to get home again too&#33 and Monday I did roughly the same to get to a Nottingham car boot.

The haul: (All LPs - I can't be mithered with 45s)

Reader's Digest - TV Music Spectacular (Boxed Set)
              Alan Tew Orchestra - Don't Look At Me, Listen To The Music
              Amphonic Library - Sounds =80=
              Amphonic Library - It's All In The Beat
              Discoland Chorus & Disco Company - S/T (Wicked Polish madness)
              Perez Prado - Now
              James Last - Beachparty 3 / Non-Stop 13
              Klaus Wunderlich - The Hit World Of..
              Alan Moorhouse - Bond St Brigade
              Ocean/Biff Rose/Jaggerz - Put Your Hand In The Hand
              Jackie Trent - Golden Hour...
              Jose Feliciano - In A Latin Mood
              Swingle Singers & MJQ - Place Vendome
              Don Lusher & His Big Band - Lusher & Lusher & Lusher
              Johnny Dankworth - Lifeline
              New Dimension Orchestra - In Search of Far Horizons
              Various - Hit Sounds In Stereo for Late Night Listening
              Chaka Khan - Chaka
              Curtis Mayfield - Short Eyes
              Blue Note - Live At The Roxy
              Pete Rubinelli & Sapphire Strings - Something Old, Something New
              Duncan Lamont & His Orchestra - This Guy

A lot of this will be recycled, so to speak, cos it's not all to my taste, so watch out for the next 'freebie' session I do. Some of it's blinding though (especially the Polish LP) and I have to thank the VV crew for the encouragement to try this car boot caper.

Still, it's me that's got feet covered in blisters and not you lot, so don't be thinking that you'll be getting much more generosity!!

And as for Channel4's '100 Greatest Film Stars' - Tom Hanks 30 odd places above Walken? Fuck off!! Where was Buscemi? How can Harvey have been so low down - this man knocked one out on film fachrissakes! You gotta respect Pacino though, Lefty Two-Guns rides again.

No-one can touch you now, because I represent you.

Benicio
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I can claim four nice finds from the local charities, all the regulation 50 and 99p, and all very much floating my boat for the moment:

The Underground: Beat Party
                Max Greger Orchestra: Sunshine Starshine
                ??: Moog Espana
                Lightning Red: Super Guitar...with Brass & Strings

Also a fair bit of stuff that's been added to the trades list (over in the ongoing 'trying to keep that Spring Cleaning Momentum up' thread elsewhere on this site) if anyone's after another copy of Don Reeve's Mighty Hammond, or Geoff Love's Top TV Themes...or some Durham mining anecdotes recorded by Ewan McColl & Peggy Seeger back in the day.

And as for the 100 Greatest Movie Stars, I'm speechless. Ewan McGregor several places above Cary Grant? Tom Hanks in the hundred at all? No Alain Delon or Jeanne Moreau or Catherine Deneuve (or did I blink & miss them?). Eddie Murphy over Richard Pryor? Completely meaningless exercise, if you ask me...
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ 06 May 2003,15:43)]quote from John Stapleton: Hortense Ellis - I'm still in love with you (TUUUUNE&#33

Choon indeed kiddo, is this the UK press with Janet Kay's sublime version of Minnie's "Loving You"?
                  It's on the Conflict label with a dub on the other side - I'm guessing this is the OG UK copy - it's dated 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 06 May 2003,14:28)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (son of stan @ 06 May 2003,10:39)]I've got the "Gold Connection" LP on a UK pressing (Charmers). I seem to remember posting about this one before. My copy is credited to (organist) Harold Butler. From memory, my copy says it was a JA recording with additional effects and percussion added in UK (Lloyd Charmers). There's some Eddie Grant involvement. Its a top LP, marred in places by a horribly dated string synth sound.
                    Intriguing - be interesting to know if your copy has those annoying synths John, or whether they did the usual import job of adding strings for the UK market.
                    no string synths, no Lloyd Charmers...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 06 May 2003,14:28)]45's

Avenue promo

And my second National Youth Jazz Orchestra LP in a month (this one's Live At LWT from 1975). Both LPs have some really good moments and the LWT LP features compositions by Mike Vickers, John Cameron, etc. Anybody know any others I should be looking for???
                      Just out of interest, what's on the Avenue promo? I'm interested in anything on Avenue at the moment.

NYJO LPs - 'NYJO In Camra' is probably my favourite, if you haven't got it already. John Cameron's 'Fuggles Fantastical Fugue' is the best track on that one.

Comment

hi Lord Thames,

i've got a few bits on Avenue... drop me a mail or a messenger...

cheers
                        ed
                        http://www.blaxploitation.com
                        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 06 May 2003,19:56)]Just out of interest, what's on the Avenue promo? I'm interested in anything on Avenue at the moment.
                          Thought your ears might prick up Lord Thames. I don't remember what's on it but I'll check - I think a few more Alan Caddy tracks (actually I think I have another Avenue 7" in addition). And if I'm not keen I know where to send them?
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]NYJO LPs - 'NYJO In Camra' is probably my favourite, if you haven't got it already. John Cameron's 'Fuggles Fantastical Fugue' is the best track on that one.
                          I don't have that LP but I'll certainly be looking out for it - they may be a little sloppy but they really go for it!!!
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

God bless Devon...

BRIXHAM
                            Albums
                            Michel Legrand – The Special Magic Of…
                            Marian Mongomery – Marian In The Morning (okay version of ‘Crying, Loving, Laughing’)
                            Lynn MarshallÂ’s Yoga (you can never have too many keep fit records)
                            Francis Lai – A Man And A Woman
                            TC James & The Fist-O-Funk Orchestra – Get Up On Your Feet (crap album saved by barmy instrumental ‘Bumpsie’s Whipped Cream’)
                            Diane Solomon – Take Two (good version of ‘Sunshine Superman’ (thanks Blighty&#33) (double)
                            Cleo Laine/John Williams – Best Friends
                            Dolly Parton – Dolly (we like Dolly, don’t we?)
                            Summer ’73 Rediffusion (EZ versions of tunes like ‘You Are The Sunshine Of My Life’)
                            Odyssey – Hang Together (double)
                            Astrud Gilberto – Once Upon A Summertime
                            Andreas Vollenweider – Behind The Gardens, Behind The Wall, Under The Tree (mullet-bothering German has credibility saved by title track, a Balearic classic) (double)
                            Andreas Vollenweider – Taverna Magica
                            Soft Machine – Third
                            Sutherland Bros. & Quiver – Reach For The Sky (break on ‘Then Train Comes’) (double)
                            Alan Tew Orchestra – To The One I Love
                            Mahalia Jackson – You’ll Never Walk Alone
                            Dick Jensen – s/t (produced and written by Gamble/Huff/Bell, featured band is MFSB, but the guy looks like a cowboy Engelbert. Anybody know anything about this?)
                            James Last – Well Kept Secret (double)

12-inches
                            Decoupage – Puerto Rico
                            Donna Summer – Back In Love Again
                            Colonel Abrams – Trapped
                            Bill Withers – Lovely Day (Liebrand Mix)

TOTNES
                            Albums
                            Snafu – All Funked Up
                            Robin Trower – In City Dreams (includes Harvey classic ‘Somebody’s Watching’) (double)
                            BB King – Friends (Philly prod. Featuring MFSB)
                            Robert Palmer – Double Fun (crap album, great version of ‘Night People’)
                            Yvonne Elliman – Rising Sun
                            John Schroeder – The Soul Of Sounds Orchestra
                            Kai Warner – Happy Together (EZ version of ‘And The Beat Goes On’)
                            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Got most of these from 'really good records' and a few from 'The Exchange' in Plymouth.
                              King Rat/OST
                              Booked at £50, but this ones got a bit of surface noise (just a few crackles) so I git it for £10. Nice for the Non-Phixion samples.

Rock & Drums/Eleanor Rigby (JVC)
                              Japanese easy listening LP, with the nice funky/easy track 'Rock Drum No1' and a little break on 'Hitchin a ride'

Belle Eqoque/Miss Broadway
                              Jazzy Jay released a 12'' in the mid 80's called 'Take a Walk', I always loved this track and love the little femail vocal sample on it. Anyway 15-16 years latter I find myself warming up for Jazzy Jay and ask him what the vocal sample was, but I could never remember the answer cos I was so drunk.Anyway put this (Belle Eqoque/Miss Broadway) on the listening deck today and BAMM there it is straight at the start of side A. So I had to pick it up.

Bette Midler/Thats Entertainment
                              BBoy style break and nice tune on 'Daytime hustler' Can you belive its taken me years to find a copy of this!

Parry Music Library/On the bright side
                              At first I thought this was wack, but I was compleatly over looking a nice funky/jazz/lounge style number.Lots of nice bits to sample.

peace
                              parkz
                              www.soundclick.com/bboyparkz

Comment

Working...
                              X