Today's finds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's finds...

Best weather of the year and half the stalls on the Cattle Market decide to stay home...go figure. Anyway, nothing obvious there, but one or two punts to pad out the scant actual find...a John Collier 'Saturday Night Suit' 45!

Bar-Rock (Boulevard) - only had one listen, but this could be that unheard of thing - a Boulevard LP you can sort of listen to all the way through, almost! Couple of nice enough lightly jazzed up classics, anyway.

The Mod Moppets: 'Kiddie Au Go Go' (Allegro) - totally peculiar set, subtitled 'Nursery Rhymes With The Teenage Dance Beat Of Today!' or something., that turns out to be an attempt to turn the likes of 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', 'Farmer In The Dell' and 'Old MacDonald' into instrumental Frug, Swim, Jerk, Shake, Monkey and Watusi dance numbers. Very odd...

Woolf Philips Orchestra: Cry Woolf! (CBS) - cheesy parp-tastic swinging 60s nonsense, not too far from the Amphonic vein of '66/7 in some ways. Very enjoyable in an Austin Powers/sitcom theme way...

Pesniary: Vocal & Instrumental Ensemble Directed by Vladimir Mulyavin (Melodya) - This sounds very cool - straight-sung Byelorussian folk, but arranged with very nice psych & prog touches. 'A Lad Ploughs The Soil' and 'Rose Blossom' on side 2 are pretty amazing, actually...

Also turned up the excellent Laura Lee: 'Women's Love Rights' (Hot Wax) in Rob's on Friday. Superb LP!

Here's hoping for a bit of sunshine tomorrow, too.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

found today

Comment

Nobody else find owt, then? Probably all too preoccupied with catching rays and sipping cold beers or something...

Got down to Colwick Sunday morning, glorious sunshine, loads of stalls...and very scant returns, considering. Whether it was just dry, or whether it was the hordes of 'fair weather' booters I've no idea (shouldn't us 'there through thick & thin' types get priority: you're only allowed in before 10:30am if you can produce your entrance stubs for five previous markets, including at least one it rained on??) but still managed to find:

Barrabas: bunch of 45s on RCA & Atlantic, including 'Wild Safari' (great) and 'Boogie Rock', 'Mad Love' & 'Desparately' (not really doing it for me).

Los Gatos Negros: Juanita Banana 45 on Vergara - a side is bonkers beat/exotica cut (try to imagine Herman's Hermits jamming with Yma Sumac or something) but the flip is very good. Not funky, or in any way mind-blowing, just nice solid Spanish Beatles-y organ/garage knock off gear.

Sammy Davis Jr: Live At The Cocoanut Grove (Reprise) - superb double live set, great music in trad Rat Pack vein, & some cool skits, routines etc. On form Sammy Davis is getting very popular round these parts...

Monsoon: Third Eye - The one with 'Ever So Lonely' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' on it. A fair bit on here hasn't aged well, but the best tracks sound pretty great even now...

Mike Batt: 'Schizophonia' (Epic) - weird one, very proggy, with Clem Cattini, Alan Parker, Chris Spedding, John Fiddy & the rest on hand, and tracks like The Road To Agadir, The Fires Of Rabat, Inshallah etc. Not my cuppa, quite, but interesting one...

Henry Mancini: Big Screen, Little Screen (RCA) - featuring nice takes on 'Shaft', 'Ironside' and 'Tonight Show Theme'.

Alex Taylor: With Friends & Neighbours (Capricorn) - mainly 70s laid back rock a la Allman Bros etc, with strings by William S Fischer, presumably the same one behind the 'Circles' LP on Embryo?

Best of all, a £1 a pop videos stall had 'Nikita', 'Brother', 'Sonatine', the first 'Tetsuo' movie, Jodorowsky's 'Holy Mountain', Miike Takashi's 'City Of Lost Souls', 'La Scorta' and Kaizo Hayashi's 'Circus Boys', so plenty to watch if not *all* that much to listen to.  
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

'Holy Mountain' is possibly the most bonkers film I've ever seen.

Yes, I watched it all the way through. No, I've no idea what it's about.

'La Scorta' and 'Sonatine' are top though, it all takes me back to my dissertation!
        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I think the first "Tetsuo" would be the strangest one for me personally, saying that tho' I can't remember "Sonatine" it's been so long!

Bennie - what the blummin' heck was your dissertation in?
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

a few bits and pieces from the past couple of weeks:

Hot Hits 18 (MFP) - great version of 2001 that sounds like a different take by the same band as the SGA/Windmill version. different enough to be worth picking up

Top of the Pops - with good version of 'Sultana'

Harry Robinson and his Crew - With Mallets Aforethought - early 60s SABPM LP

Booker T & MGs - Universal Language - late 70s, couple of nice tracks

Novi Singers - Rien ne va plus
            Novi Singers - Torpedo
            Wojciech Karolak - Easy!
            my first Polish records, i think.

Tony Osbourne - Lennon and McCartney Go Latin - finally!

Graham Dalley Dozen - Sounds International (Saga)
            - this was from Dr K about a year ago, but just dug it out recently. nice version of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Tommy Kinsmman - Plays for Dancing - great track 'Hully Gully' that opens one of the Inflight Entertainment CDs

Steve Race - Dance to the TV Themes - much too early to be funky, but 'Naked City' is nice

King Eric and his Knights Live at the King and Knights Club, Nassau - pretty crap, but great cover!

Al Caiola - Serenade in Blue - (in Jazz club voice) nice!

The Flock - interesting, kind of rocky (from 1969) but with violin and horns.

Wayne - look out for Sammy Davis + Sam Butera 'When the Feeling Hits You' on Reprise. top album, 'recorded wild in Las Vegas' says the cover...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]...a few bits and pieces from the past couple of weeks:

King Eric and his Knights Live at the King and Knights Club, Nassau - pretty crap, but great cover!

yep, got suckered by that cover myself many moons ago!  
              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

haha, i was hoping for a killer Caribbean funk LP, instead of a crap supper club band! the cover of Killing Me Softly is ok, but can't really see any use for it. that Latinaires album with 2001 has a nice version of Killing Me Softly, so i was hoping for more of the same...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Aug. 09 2004,11:43)]Wayne - look out for Sammy Davis + Sam Butera 'When the Feeling Hits You' on Reprise. top album, 'recorded wild in Las Vegas' says the cover...
                  Great LP - that was the one that got me onto the picking up Sammy Davis LPs kick in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Bennie - what the blummin' heck was your dissertation in?
                    Can't remember the exact title, but it was basically about the socio-economic and cultural impact of the gangster movie genre. Really interesting subject actually and a bona fide excuse to spend a year watching most of the best films ever made.

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]King Eric and his Knights Live at the King and Knights Club, Nassau - pretty crap, but great cover!
                    Not THE King Eric surely? I know he's been diversifying of late, but I don't think I could stand songs about Seagulls and Trawlers being sung inna soca stylee.

I love ya Lord, but I'm mad atcha.
                    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X