Paraffin jack flash limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paraffin jack flash limited

Picked up paraffin jack flash limited 'Movers & Groovers' on me hols - brief discussion with Chris Vulture and he reckons it was something to do with John Schroder - no clues on the sleeve.

The 2 OG tacks are by a boke called Jack Dorsey (who also produced the LP). Some light googling has revealed that the 'Blue & Groovy' tracks was used by McDonalds on an ad and nowt else..

Info much appreciated as always.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

To the best of my knowledge, (though I'm prepared to be proven wrong on this) John Schroeder had nowt to do with this.  I would have thought JS would have given himself a credit on anything he produced - besides which, Jack Dorsey's big enough to produce his own records!

Jack did some of Alshire's UK sessions (including LPs by the 101 Strings and Los Norte Americanos) that appeared on Pye subsidiaries, so I wonder whether it's one of theirs?

He also had his fingers in a number of other pies (or should that be Pyes?) including managing a pre-Uriah Heep David Byron when he was still doing covers LPs.

Oh, and I remember Blue and Groovy being on the soundtrack to every half-witted DIY and gardening show a few years back, when copies of 'The Easy Project' seemed to be distributed free to all BBC lifestyle producers!

Comment

Hah, that's already in the bag for tonight Lee - some sort of strange serendipity going on there?

I do seem to remember some sort of JS connection being mentioned somewhere but why would he need anonymity when it's released on Pye? The LP reminds me of 'Dolly Catcher', both music wise and in the sleeve notes (check who wrote them) - it does smack of John to me.

Sorry, that doesn't help at all, does it?  

<edit> Bit of a crossover with David Byron then, Lord T, since it's him singing on 'Witchi Tai To'.  
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Know what you mean Rich. I'm quite enjoying it - one or two unwise cover selections apart it's pretty solid.
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Aug. 09 2004,10:46)]I do seem to remember some sort of JS connection being mentioned somewherebut why would he need anonymity when it's released on Pye?
          That's my point - JS normally gives himself a full credit on anything he's involved with, and I can't see any reason why he wouldn't on this one.

In addition, I don't recall him and Jack Dorsey ever doing any work together - nor Dorsey's collaborator Gould (who could be Don, Alec or someone totally different - I don't know). If it was a JS project, surely one of his regular associates - Tew, Warburton, Pearson etc would have had a hand in it?

Mind you, wasn't JS quite high up in the Pye organisation at that time? Perhaps he commissioned it, or something.

Didn't know it was David Byron on Witchi Tai To - he doesn't get a credit on my (partially recorded over) 8-track!

Comment

I'm not *quite* sure that John always gave himself credit. I get the impression that, just like most of the other session guys, there were occasions when it was necessary to keep his name off things (still, I can't see why it would be in this case).

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Aug. 09 2004,12:24)]Didn't know it was David Byron on Witchi Tai To - he doesn't get a credit on my (partially recorded over) 8-track!
            It's definitely David Byron, but I'd like to know who 'Chris' is who sang 'One Way Glass' from the same session.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

John was indeed quite high up at Pye - he was label boss for the Piccadilly imprint.

He was a producer of, what I guess we could now refer to as, 'the old school'. No real 'hands on' involvement with the technical side (leaving that to Alan Florence or Ray Prickett) but rather sitting in a big chair, listening to what was going on and suggesting to the aformentioned engineers how he wanted things to sound.

he was also fond of leaving the musicians to do there own thing if he felt that they were better off that way, but still keeping half any ear open in case one of their studio jams sounded good. That's exactly what happened with 'Headband'. And naturally, it was his session, so he gets the writing credit
              Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Aug. 09 2004,13:26)]He was a producer of, what I guess we could now refer to as, 'the old school'. No real 'hands on' involvement with the technical side (leaving that to Alan Florence or Ray Prickett) but rather sitting in a big chair, listening to what was going on and suggesting to the aformentioned engineers how he wanted things to sound.
                Ah, so Rich is of the old school then? Or were Schroder's pronouncements more inspired than "Make it sound good"?

What's it to be then Rich, do you model yourself on JS, or Goldie
                Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
                Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

Can we have a whip round to fund Manzo for another Masters degree for this next year, please?

I model myself on a combination of John Schroeder, Goldie, and Jean-Luc Picard with my main creative pronouncement being 'make it so'...

Comment

Working...
                  X