Grantby-coffee table music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantby-coffee table music

this has been driving me nuts ever since this lp was released but who the heck are the artists on this compilation? there's Grantby (of course) and his other alias, Albert Hall, but who are the rest of these unknowns? anyone else notice the shameless Roy Budd sample by the Brothers Grimm? can't recall if they copped it from the 'Diamonds' soundtrack or not. anyway, I figure a lot of you are familiar with some of these obscure musicians/producers and might be able to help me sort out who is who and perhaps gimme a little bit 'o background info.

1 Brown Susan-How We Used To Live
    2 Narcoleptics, The-High Over Glenelg
    3 Brothers Grimm, The-Chase Scene *3
    4 Jobclub Music Workshop-Large Block of Flats
    5 Picturebox-Glass Shards
    6 Grantby-Timebooth
    7 Kaysound Fashion-Don't Trust The Brains Trust
    8 Emiliano-Vamos a la Playa
    9 Albert Hall-R53
    10 Kirk Lake-Dementia Pugilistica

I must admit I've always assumed they were all Grantby. I'll ask a couple of people who might know
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (mech1 @ Aug. 09 2004,09:00)]

this has been driving me nuts ever since this lp was released but who the heck are the artists on this compilation? there's Grantby (of course) and his other alias, Albert Hall, but who are the rest of these unknowns? anyone else notice the shameless Roy Budd sample by the Brothers Grimm? can't recall if they copped it from the 'Diamonds' soundtrack or not. anyway, I figure a lot of you are familiar with some of these obscure musicians/producers and might be able to help me sort out who is who and perhaps gimme a little bit 'o background info.

1 Brown Susan-How We Used To Live
      2 Narcoleptics, The-High Over Glenelg
      3 Brothers Grimm, The-Chase Scene *3
      4 Jobclub Music Workshop-Large Block of Flats
      5 Picturebox-Glass Shards
      6 Grantby-Timebooth
      7 Kaysound Fashion-Don't Trust The Brains Trust
      8 Emiliano-Vamos a la Playa
      9 Albert Hall-R53
      10 Kirk Lake-Dementia Pugilistica
      Can't help you as all of the non-Grantby tracks were new to me but you might be able to get a couple of leads from the following :

http://www.discogs.com/release/24187
      http://www.myspace.com/colinmillar

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Colin Hero @ Aug. 09 2004,09:59)]Can't help you as all of the non-Grantby tracks were new to me but you might be able to get a couple of leads from the following :

http://www.discogs.com/release/24187
        hehe, note the submission and stupid comment by yours truly.

Comment

cofee table music

hello.
          r.e cofee table music.
          last track is kirk lake as named , available on "the black lights che records".
          the big diamonds sample was insanely used uncleared as was a nino rota cue in it's entirety from some fellini film i can't remember.equally nuts is the unliscenced usage of michel legrand's the go between, albeit looped.and a similar looped diana ross passage.
          the rest are bits and pieces off my tape machine at the time.
          so, hence all the aliases.
          what can i tell you , i was asked to provide a mix of source and original music for a Compilation, all of which was to be liscenced.

hope this helps
          dan

Comment

Ha! Kirk Lake is an old mate of mine from Hastings.

He used to share a decrepit flat in St. Leonard's with a guy called Gerry.

They both had long dyed blond hair and listened mainly to The Cramps, old blues and country records and were very out-of-step with mid-80s south coast life.

They used to come and see our band and we hung out round their place and leered after their girlfriends, who were a good few years' older than we were at the time.

He moved to London late 80s and had a book published several years back called - I think - Never hit the ground - a kinda Bukowski thing.

Have only very recently re-established contact.

Assuming that is him,of course.
            And not a different Kirk Lake.
            To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by grantby View Post
              hello.
              r.e cofee table music.
              last track is kirk lake as named , available on "the black lights che records".
              the big diamonds sample was insanely used uncleared as was a nino rota cue in it's entirety from some fellini film i can't remember.equally nuts is the unliscenced usage of michel legrand's the go between, albeit looped.and a similar looped diana ross passage.
              the rest are bits and pieces off my tape machine at the time.
              so, hence all the aliases.
              what can i tell you , i was asked to provide a mix of source and original music for a Compilation, all of which was to be liscenced.

hope this helps
              dan
              thanks for the info.

btw, can we expect to see a Grantby album sometime in the near future? I remember you were signed to Creation and then they went tits up.

Comment

I always loved this lp - need to dig it out and give it a listen...
                http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Naga View Post
                  I always loved this lp - need to dig it out and give it a listen...
                  yep, tis good. it has aged surprisingly well

Comment

Working...
                  X