Mix cd help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix cd help

Whats up guys. i offered to make a mix cd for this girl but then after the fact she said she wanted a "rockin cd some electro but mostly rock". this kind of threw me for a loop since rock isnt my area. i mean i'm up on a certain amount of stuff but i dont want to hook her up with a CD full of stuff she knows.

So i'm checking with you guys to see if you have reccomendations. i have a good amount of songs right now but a couple more nice joints would help things.

So what would you reccomend? any overlooked gems. feel free to reccomend and ill try to find them. if i cant maybe someone can hook me up with a song via yousendit or something and ill send you up with a copy of the mix as a thank you.

Also maybe something new wave because i dont have the electro part covered yet. so maybe some new waveish suggestions too.

You after funky rock stuff with breaks or classic lumpy rock stuff?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I think this kind of stuff would do for both needs:
      http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/noise.htm

Comment

What is this? Cyrano De frigging Bergerac or something? What if the girl falls for you, and it turns out it was the whole Vinyl Vulture community she was falling for...

My current favourite funky rock track is Sapo's "Been Had" (cheers, Chris) - the ladies love that one...
        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

LDJB - the former more than the latter. i have alot of bluesy rock and some harder stuff so more funky rock stuff would be good.

Amino - thanks ill check it out

The Divine One - haha its not like that i'm just making a mix for her. I'll look for that Sapo joint thanks

anyone else fell free to add on

Comment

Ten off the top of me head:

Birtha - Judgement Day
            Affinity - Three Sisters
            The Byrds - Fido
            US69 - Yesterdays Folks
            Titanic - just about owt off the first LP
            Babe Ruth - The Mexican
            Three Dog Night - I Can Hear You Calling
            Magazine - Real Life (proper new wave break)
            Juicy Lucy - I'm a Thief
            James Gang - Funk 49

Also for decent funky rock you can't really go wrong with the Rare Earth label.

Hope she likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (4114 @ Aug. 09 2004,22:52)]The Divine One - haha its not like that i'm just making a mix for her.
              Likely story...

If it REALLY isn't like that, by all means tape her The Mexican... Bear in mind it's been a while since Lee's done any courting...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Aug. 09 2004,01:02)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (4114 @ Aug. 09 2004,22:52)]The Divine One - haha its not like that i'm just making a mix for her.
                Likely story...

If it REALLY isn't like that, by all means tape her The Mexican... Bear in mind it's been a while since Lee's done any courting...  
                ...and you'll be wanting to stay well clear of 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' from the 'Group Called Smith' LP on Dunhill, too, rockin' and funky though it is...
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]If it REALLY isn't like that, by all means tape her The Mexican... Bear in mind it's been a while since Lee's done any courting...
                  True but I was going to suggest Babe Ruth's 'Keep Your Distance' which could give entirely the wrong idea.

A bit off topic but I was having a discussion with the missus on holiday what the best teen angst LPs are after my daughter borrowed 'If You're Feeling Sinister' by Belle & Sebastian off me. The Smiths are the obvious choice but I used to hammer Bowies Berlin stuff - 'Low' etc in those formative years when I'd lock myself away from outside contact (OK my Mum and Dad), only emerging for the odd Jaffa Cake.

Comment

I would have thought Joy Division would be fairly obvious candidates...

I went through a phase of listening to "solo albums by people who'd just left famous bands and had a nervous breakdown" - John Philips "Wolfking of LA", Syd Barrett "Madcap Laughs", Alexander Skip Spence "Oar", John Lennon "Plastic Ono Band", Big Star "Sister Lovers" (to all intents Alex Chilton's first solo album).

That lot sorted me right out and thankfully I went straight from teen angst to grumpy old man...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (wayne @ Aug. 10 2004,00:31)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Aug. 09 2004,01:02)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Likely story...

...and you'll be wanting to stay well clear of 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' from the 'Group Called Smith' LP on Dunhill, too, rockin' and funky though it is...
                      ...Or Muddy Waters version of that. Or 'Tomcat'.  

Does she dig the Franz Ferdinand steez? If so go for 'Damaged Goods' by Gang Of Four ' (same caveat* applies) for the New Wave with breaks thang.

*Hayd, I'm using YOUR word again...  
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

LDJB - thanks for the suggestions. i got that babe ruth record i think its a little to much compaired to the other songs. The three dog night song seems like a great fit. Also the byrds song is really nice. i might have that on vinyl somewhere because i bought a few byrd records a while back but then never really checked them out.

wayne - ill stay away from including chuck berry's ding-a-ling as well.

Rich Hero - good looking out on the damaged goods song i think it will go over well.

thanks again guys

although i think i have enough tracks to choose from and i need to start seeing what goes with what. if anyone has a suggestion feel free to post.

Comment

WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED "STEVE MILLER BAND" YET...

Just grab any Steve Miller Band LP and there'll be one decent track on it and the rest will be shite...

Coloseum "The Kettle"

OH SHIVERS THERE ARE HEAPS BUT I CAN'T THINK OF THEM RIGHT NOW

On the electro side of things I'd throw in "Ecstasy" by New Order. Because it's really good, and a comparatively obscure tune by a very well known group.

Also you can make your rock classics interesting by mixing some generic electro beats underneath. (If you can be bothered getting the beat matching right).

I've been chewing over the idea of a rock mix for a while so I've been thinking pretty hard about this stuff. You ought to listen to me I think.

PUT SOME SABBATH IN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Comment

NOTHING IS THE SAME by Grand Funk Railroad

An all-time favourite.

Comment

Marquee Moon by Television (its cracking and the album version will fill up 12 minutes if you're feeling lazy)

Comment

Working...
                              X