Buying vinyl at non-online auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying vinyl at non-online auctions

Does anyone buy vinyl at the old fashioned David Dickinson type of auction? Are these worth digging out for bargains?

Old School Tramp is the master of this...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

ive been thinking this myself, might be a good way to get some stock for selling at boot sales? for those that can be arsed to get up early
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I'm off to the local auction house on Friday to look at one lot of Beatles LP's to include a numbered white album & Let it be box set.

Before i, or anyone else, gets excited, the last couple of times i have been looking at the records they were all trashed.

I have heard stories of great finds, but so far nothing over this way.
        The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
        Vault mint

Comment

a guy I know found the APPLE LP in a lot like this, went for 20 Swedish kronor
          rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by jam View Post
            Does anyone buy vinyl at the old fashioned David Dickinson type of auction? Are these worth digging out for bargains?
            I used to go and view the stuff in the auction houses regularly when i lived in the north east - never scored anything unfortunately but there was always plenty of vinyl. More often than not it was bundled in with books and on one occasion i got excited because amongst a box of real crust there was 3 sealed (and rare) P&P 12's - i registered and waited for the lot to come up but was subsequently slayed in the bidding by some old dear who was a book dealer i offered to buy the three records after the auction for a pretty tidy amount and she almost spat at me

Last time i went to a sale room it was in Leeds - they had 1000's of records all as seperate lots of 50 - i looked through them all and put all the interesting ones to the front of each box then quite brazenly put them all together in one lot (the assistants were around and weren't bothered at all) i then won that lot for £11
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Was that Gary Don's, Towny?
              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post
                i looked through them all and put all the interesting ones to the front of each box then quite brazenly put them all together in one lot (the assistants were around and weren't bothered at all) i then won that lot for £11

I'm shocked.

If the assistants weren't around you should have just stuck em up your jumper and legged it, saving money and time
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Last time i went to a sale room it was in Leeds - they had 1000's of records all as seperate lots of 50 - i looked through them all and put all the interesting ones to the front of each box then quite brazenly put them all together in one lot (the assistants were around and weren't bothered at all) i then won that lot for £11
                  I wouldn't have thought that was the kind of thing you'd wanna share online

Vault mint

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post
                    Was that Gary Don's, Towny?
                    It was a place in Armley Jim

Comment

Originally posted by antwhiplash2 View Post
                      I wouldn't have thought that was the kind of thing you'd wanna share online
                      Why Ant ? It was over 4 years ago - i spent hours in there looking through them before the sale started and was chatting with the folks who worked there most of the time - after being asked if it was a load of crap i said there were bits and bobs of alright stuff amongst them and it was suggested to me i should put them all in one lot they knew exactly what i was doing and didn't give a hoot, they even made me a few brews

It was mostly crap anyway - the sort of things i would punt on in charity shops for 50p or a quid, best bits were two sealed Eddie Russ LP's and a radiophonic workshop LP

Comment

Why Ant ? It was over 4 years ago - i spent hours in there looking through them before the sale started and was chatting with the folks who worked there most of the time - after being asked if it was a load of crap i said there were bits and bobs of alright stuff amongst them and it was suggested to me i should put them all in one lot they knew exactly what i was doing and didn't give a hoot, they even made me a few brews

It was mostly crap anyway - the sort of things i would punt on in charity shops for 50p or a quid, best bits were two sealed Eddie Russ LP's and a radiophonic workshop LP
                        Ah well, that's different if they told you to do it, i was thinking it was a different situation, so ignore me mate
                        There are some bad tricks pulled at auctions, one of which i don't want to share online incase anyone gets any ideas
                        It basically involves something similar when several bidders get badly ripped off bidding high for shit, while someone walks off with big ticket items cheap.
                        I'll have to leave people to work it out themselves.

Vault mint

Comment

I used to do the auctions a fair bit and got roped into valuations for a couple of them too. Auction houses are where many pro booters go to get their wares. Add to this dealers and wot not and there's often competition (This is not to say you will share their tastes). The low end auction houses are often house clearance joints, all sorts go through but down here at least, the best things to come through that I've seen were classical and several Jazz collections.

Auctions are well worth a go, but like charities I've never been to an auction house that didn't have a dealer or two with their feet under the table so to speak.
                          Last edited by folkishienne; 28-01-2010, 06:59 AM.
                          https://www.facebook.com/AudioGrailGarrard301

Comment

I go to my local auction house each week, but anytime there is a load of good stuff (about every two months) dealers bid high on them. I did 'win' two lots recently, one for £2.40, mostly classical, & another for £66, a real mixture of nothing special except for a Coltrane EP which I just fell in love with.

Don't expect much & you might get a few bargains, but I wouldn't recommend anyone wasting their time trying to make money out of it from selling on at boots.

Comment

Originally posted by folkishienne View Post
                              The low end auction houses are often house clearance joints, all sorts go through but down here at least, the best things to come through that I've seen were classical and several Jazz collections.
                              In my limited experience I would agree. I went to a few. many years ago, after buying a jazz lot from a dealer who had scooped it at one. To be honest I got fed up seeing Toby jugs and stopped, although if I didn't work on Wednesday's I would haul my arse to Leyland every one in a while.
                              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Working...
                              X