Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was manuel really geoff love?

The evidence for this
    rather enigmatic assertion isn't provided ... but is it true???

and, I suppose, I now have to ask the unthinkable... Did Manuel and, indeed, his music of the mountains, ever lay down some funky shit, as it were?

Oh what an outrageous idea...
    It ain't shakey

i thought that was common knowledge, certainly neither 'Manuel' nor his mountains ever existed..

as for bringing the funk, i always secretly hoped so, but i think it's out of the question

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Aug. 13 2004,17:01)]i thought that was common knowledge, certainly neither 'Manuel' nor his mountains ever existed...
      Shhh, you weren't supposed to tell anyone...
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

perhaps we could spread the rumour it was Alan Hawkshaw?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Aug. 13 2004,17:01)]i thought that was common knowledge
          It probably is.

Anyway, thanks for your speedy reply... and I will admit that I did once speculate 50p on the possibility of there being something listenable on the most promising looking Manuel LP. But guess what...
          It ain't shakey

Comment

I've always understood Manuel = Geoff Love, too, though now you come to mention it I've seen no real evidence. Still, appears to be the case. And, no, picked up several Manuel LP in job lots here & there, and not even a nice little lounge-exotica number to leaven any of them. Some of them do have nice sleeves, though.

And who is that seller? Someone with more brass neck than paying customers, I hope, at those prices...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Geof Love is definitely 'Manuel'.

I've tried several times to find funk on those albums and never had nothing at all. There's so many of them that it's hard to keep track though.

Comment

i think 'Exotica' and 'Carnival' may have been alright, but certainly nothing amazing, and obviously not funky. will have to dig them out and re-listen...

Comment

The Manuel pseudonym was originally cooked up by EMI because Geoff Love already had a record out, they wanted to release another one, but didn't want two Geoff Love singles out at the same time. Manuel's true identity was actually kept secret for the first couple of years, but by the 70s they'd given up the pretence totally.

Manuel's version of 'Concierto de Aranujuez' was actually the UK's official number one single for about three hours due to a computer failure at the chart compilers!

Comment

Working...
                  X