Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design

Picked up a S/T Lp by this lot (on Epic, from 1969) at a booter about a month ago, drawn by the Syd Dale connection as arranger, and loved it: like a folky, UK version of Free Design or something, with plenty of heavyweight UK session bods on call - Alan Parker, Chris Spedding, Herbie Flowers et al. Since them, found two more LPs by them - 'Day Of The Fox' and 'Tomorrow Is So Far Away', both again packed with excellent cuts: 'Fox' has a superb take on 'I Feel the Earth Move', a great folky original title cut that wouldn't have been out of place on the 'Gather In The Mushrooms' comp, and a psychy 'Pisces Hymn', while 'Tomorrow' features Hawkshaw on keys, where he pulls his weight on a very groovy bunch of tracks - 'Take a Train', 'Jet Song', a cool vocal harmony take on 'Strawberry Fields', one about a Fisherman whose title escapes me right now. Apparently there's another set on EMI called 'In Flight', which I've yet to hear, but after turning up 3 good LPs by this lot, it seems like time to see if there are any more, and if anyone out there knows how this outfit came about (and why their LPs aren't being bid through the roof by the Japanese yet). And to say if you see their stuff, pick it up, too, of course...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Sounds great - so I took a quick look on ebay but I see you are already bidding for the missing one there. I'll wait for next time maybe.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Aug. 16 2004,17:55)]Sounds great - so I took a quick look on ebay but I see you are already bidding for the missing one there. I'll wait for next time maybe.
      Yep - no idea if 'In Flight' is any cop, but took a punt on the 'Tomorrow' LP on ebay and it's very good, so I'm happy to give this one a go as well, assuming my post doesn't alert dealers/soft pop collectors to 'em. Having been looking for only a month, though, I've found 3 LPs all very reasonably priced, so their stuff does seem to be out there once you think to look for it, and doesn't seem to be expensive. Except on GEMM, that is, where they're up at $30 - $50 dollars...

Let me know if you fancy a tape: might just squeeze most of the 3 LPs onto a c90, more or less, if you wanted to check them out before spending cash.
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Its got A Famous Myth on it which could be class. Defo worth a shot. Anyway lets be quiet for now.

Where's the emoticon of someone with the finger to their mouth going Shhhh?
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
        X