80's boogie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's boogie!

I'm very into 80's boogie, but I have mainly stuff from America. At the moment, I'm trying to get rid of my albums and replace it with 12"s..
    I would like to have some nice UK 80's boogie 12" in my collection. Any recommondations?

And by the way, are the songs on the 'best of British Jazz-Funk' volumes from the 80's hard to find on 12"s?

Hello there

British 12" disco/boogie I would recommend are (excuse spelling mistakes as this is off the top of my head):

Second Image - You're A Star (Polydor)
    Freez - Southern Freez + Flying High (Beggars Banquet)
    Ray Munnings - Funky Nassau/Jump In The Water + It Could Happen To You(Tammi)
    Level 42 - Star Child (Polydor)
    Hudson People - Trip To Your Mind (Hithouse and then rerecorded on Ensign)
    Hi Tension - There's A Reason + Hi Tension (Can't Remember - Island?)
    Atmosfear - Dancing In Outer Space + Motovation + Extract (Elite)
    Disco Dub Band - For The Love Of Money (Movers 7" + White label 12&quot
    Heatwave - Mind Blowing Decisions + Aint No Half Steppin (Epic)
    David Joseph - You Can't Hide Your Love (Can't Remember) - I think he was British anyway
    Bo Kool - Money No Love (Tammi)

I'm sure Ladyboy Grimsby will shame me by adding loads more I have forgotten or haven't even heard of.
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Aug. 19 2004,09:40)]Disco Dub Band - For The Love Of Money (Movers 7" + White label 12&quot
        Is the white label 12" a bootleg or a promo? Or both?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Aug. 19 2004,17:29)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Aug. 19 2004,09:40)]Disco Dub Band - For The Love Of Money (Movers 7" + White label 12&quot
          Bootleg. Apparently it was Davitt Sigerson who did this. (Not the bootleg, the actual recording...)

Lemme think about additions....
          Light of the World - London Town er... you've named all my faves Hadrian!
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

hold on. are these really british?

er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (mokka @ Aug. 19 2004,18:39)]hold on. are these really british?

Er, yes. Almost everything on Elite was produced by Andy Sojka, who couldn't have been more British if he'd walked round with horseradish sauce in his underwear. Why do you ask, good sir?

Comment

just surprised. and my love money is on siamese, and atmospheare on west end (if i remember correctly). this must have led me astray!

on a slightly more anal note: how would you guys define boogie - as opposed to disco and soul i guess?
                er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Aug. 19 2004,18:02)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Aug. 19 2004,17:29)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Bootleg. Apparently it was Davitt Sigerson who did this. (Not the bootleg, the actual recording...)
                  Forgive my ignorance but who's Davitt Sigerson? Google isn't being much help and All Music is worse than useless. I've long been fascinated by that Disco Dub Band record. Ever since Steve Rumney first wrote about it in Street Scene.

Actually anyone know what Steve Rumney's up to these days? That Wicked Pulse column he used to write has been a huge influence on my musical tastes.

Comment

Davitt Sigerson - produced a few records I've come across (one or two on the Ze label) and was also a NY-based journalist, writing about disco in various papers and mags.

Atmosfear - some of their stuff obviously must have been licensed to the US, hence its appearance on West End

David Joseph - definitely British. It makes me laugh that there could be any doubt about this. Then again I'm old and was into this stuff at the time. DJ was a former member of Hi Tension.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (A de Vere @ Aug. 19 2004,21:25)]Davitt Sigerson - produced a few records I've come across (one or two on the Ze label) and was also a NY-based journalist, writing about disco in various papers and mags.

Atmosfear - some of their stuff obviously must have been licensed to the US, hence its appearance on West End

David Joseph - definitely British. It makes me laugh that there could be any doubt about this. Then again I'm old and was into this stuff at the time. DJ was a former member of Hi Tension.
                      David Jospeh is not only British, but he grew up round the corner from where I live. In fact, I interviewed an old black British DJ the other day at my flat and he said, 'Oh you should have told me it was this street, Brinsley from Aswad grew up just there!" he said pointing round the corner... Harlesden, it's the home of music, innit.

Davitt Sigersson is a very interesting character. He worked on stuff on Ze in its early years, but then recorded two albums as a solo artist (I think it was two anyhow). Subsequent to this he has produced Tori Amos and the Bangles (among many) and ended up as chairman of Island Records in the US. He was also responsible for breaking D'Angelo and is alleged to have discovered the Neptunes. He's now a novelist, when he's not attempting to run the world.

Comment

Cheers for the info, guys.

Comment

I have spoken to my mate about this. He was a Jazz Funk DJ in the days of Jazz Funk and has added the following recommendations:

I Level - In The Sand (Virgin)
                          Incognito - Parisian Girl (Ensign)
                          Real Thing - Children Of The Ghetto (Pye) - just for Nick Cope that one.
                          Inversions - Mr Mack (Groove)
                          Freez - Keep In Touch (Pink Rhythm)
                          Morrisey Mullen - Bristol Boogie (Harvest 7&quot
                          Breakfast Band - LA14 (Disc Empire)
                          Ivan Chandler Quartet - Final Approach (Green Label promo only)
                          Imagination - Burning Up (R&B) B side
                          Stikki Stuff - The Wigglw (Floppy Discs)
                          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Working...
                          X