Records that sound better sped up....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records that sound better sped up....

There are some records that improve immensely by tweaking the pitch control a little.

'Why Leave Us Alone by' by 'Five Special' springs to mind, but I know there are quite a few funk 7"s where a bit of speeding up/slowing down works wonders.

Care to enlighten me in case I am missing out on the joys of playing one of my tunes at +3/-2??????
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

I don't know why but playing most records at +2 makes them sound better! ?!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

There are many, but here&#39;s a few I always muck around with the pitch;

Winfield Parker - Shake that thing (+ 8)
      Golden Toadstools - Silly Savage ( - 2)
      Inez Foxx - Give the dog a bone (+ 4)
      Almeta Latimore - Tobacco Road (+ 3)
      Zeke Strong - I laugh and cry (+ 5)
      Hank Herb - Ali funky thing (+ 5)
      Charlie Whitehead - Between the lines (+ 4)
      Laurence Thomas - Why young kids stray (+ 3)
      Betty Wright - Clean up woman (+ 4)
      Mohawks - Champ (+3 and then ride it to + 2 as the drummer speeds up)

They&#39;re just approximates cos it all depends on the feedback from the crowd, but that lot seems to be a kinda average for those particular tracks.

Comment

Paul Humphrey &#39;Detroit&#39; is another +8 marvel. Play it at 0 and it&#39;s chugalong guitar funk. Play at +8 and it&#39;s transformed into a b-boy throwdown&#33;
        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

It usually depends how drunk you and the crowd are but usually I agree with Sermad, I often play everything at +2...
          Andy however seems to play almost everything at -4 no matter what
          www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (green man @ Aug. 19 2004,11:10)]Andy however seems to play almost everything at -4 no matter what
            Pitch it down and you fatten up the drums - depends if you&#39;re playing tunes that are intended for that head nod factor or to set the floor alight I guess.

KRS-1 &#39;I&#39;m Still #1&#39; needs pitching up &#39;cos I can&#39;t help but compare it to &#39;Cramp Your Style&#39; in my head and it&#39;s very sluggish in comparison.

Wool &#39;Love, Love, Love, Love, Love&#39; benefits from possibly a  +2.

Whereas if I don&#39;t pitch down &#39;Daddy Love&#39; by Gi Gi it&#39;s too flipping fast to play any other tune after&#33; I need more 45&#39;s... (Incidentally can anyone help me out with the name and artist of the Sweet instrumental of that?).
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Everyone knows records sound better speeded up slightly... C&#39;mon, let&#39;s up the ante a bit. What records sound better at completely the wrong speed? Issac Hayes &quot;Breakdown&quot; is an obvious candidate for &quot;sounds better at 45 than 33&quot;. I heard a DJ in a bar the other week playing New Mastersounds &quot;Nervous&quot; at 33rpm (admittedly pitched up a bit) and it sounded pretty decent. &quot;Mamblues&quot; 45 by Cal Tjader is another candidate, according to Kenny Dope...

And I know someone who was making a tape of girl group 45s played at 33 - quite disturbing how many of them just sounded like decent male deep soul records, althought the lyrical content obviously changes a bit...  e.g. &quot;My boyfriends back and you&#39;re gonna be in trouble...&quot;
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

&#39;Amen Brother&#39; (LP version but only if you switch to 45 for the duration of the break).  

Actually, I have a few of the early Rephlex releases that I have *no* idea what speed they should be played at. And wasn&#39;t &#39;Casual Sub&#39; by ETA pressed at the &#39;wrong&#39; speed &#39;cos it sounded better at 33 than the 45 it was initially released at?
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

LP version of Pretty Purdie&#39;s Funky Donkey is *way* better at 45 than 33.

I seem to remember suggesting that Guder did a version of it at that speed. You sorted it yet, Rubs?
                  Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
                  Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]&#39;Amen Brother&#39; (LP version but only if you switch to 45 for the duration of the break).
                    Which is ironic as the version on UBBs slows the break down to 33&#33;

I&#39;ve got a Sonic Boom 45 which says you are to play it at whatever speed you fancy - far too cavalier an atitude IMHO.
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Aug. 19 2004,12:00)]Which is ironic as the version on UBBs slows the break down to 33&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Aug. 19 2004,12:00)]I&#39;ve got a Sonic Boom 45 which says you are to play it at whatever speed you fancy - far too cavalier an atitude IMHO.
                        So how is it a 45 then?

(What? Me, a pedantic tosser?&#33;?)...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Aug. 19 2004,11:20)]KRS-1 &#39;I&#39;m Still #1&#39; needs pitching up &#39;cos I can&#39;t help but compare it to &#39;Cramp Your Style&#39; in my head and it&#39;s very sluggish in comparison.
                          Completely agree with you on this one, it&#39;s a great tune but if you are used to the original sample then it just sounds a bit wrong.

On the wrong speed tip, there is a track I got in Finland by Olli Ahvenlahti; &quot;Countenance&quot; that I was playing for ages at 45 not realising it was a 33. It sounds perfect sped up but a bit boring at it&#39;s correct speed.
                          www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (green man @ Aug. 19 2004,12:13)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Aug. 19 2004,11:20)]KRS-1 &#39;I&#39;m Still #1&#39; needs pitching up &#39;cos I can&#39;t help but compare it to &#39;Cramp Your Style&#39; in my head and it&#39;s very sluggish in comparison.
                            Completely agree with you on this one, it&#39;s a great tune but if you are used to the original sample then it just sounds a bit wrong.
                            That&#39;s the rule with me - if I first get used to hearing something faster (whether it&#39;s an OG or a track that samples it) it then sounds wrong when I hear the other... Same with the Wool - I heard the Cherrystones mix of Quannum, and the Seraph CD, long before I got hold of the 45.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Aug. 19 2004,11:37)]. And wasn&#39;t &#39;Casual Sub&#39; by ETA pressed at the &#39;wrong&#39; speed &#39;cos it sounded better at 33 than the 45 it was initially released at?
                              I seem to remember this. Wasn&#39;t it just a fast, nutbag house tune which sounded better slowed down?

Incidentally, can a 12&quot; be pressed at the wrong speed? Unlike 7&quot;s which are almost always 45rpm and LPs which are (almost?) always 33, 12&quot;s are commonly pressed at both. Often they have the wrong speed on the label, though. (You think you&#39;re a pedant)
                              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                              X