Shawn lee's ping pong orchestra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn lee's ping pong orchestra

Being bored at work I decided to check out Dustygroove (relax! buy blind, everything is great). On their front page I noticed Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra LP which they describe as a homage to the 'Sound Library sound of DeWolfe, KPM, and other classic labels from 60s and 70s'.

Now, being simple I admit I was attracted to the group name but I am also intrigued by the music. Has anybody heard this? It got a really positive review by DustyGroove but then I only ever seen them diss one record (Lorne Greene&#33 so I would appreciate a more sane critique.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

And if it is retro nonsense, could people recommend some decent new records for me to buy. Cheers my dears.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

hmmm, i'm curious what this sounds like as well. my local record store appears to have this in stock, I don't wanna dish out for it if it's retro hogwash.

Comment

I got sent an email from Ubiquity this morning. It has soundclips. Here they are:
        http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/ur153.html
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

picked up vol.2 today and I'm really diggin' this. I dunno what it is about this one in particular but it sounds a lot better than his first volume. good stuff.

Comment

I've got vol 1 and nearly put a track off that on my summer swap .. I quite like it, it seems to have been getting a few more mentions around the traps lately .. certainly keen to hear this vol 2, appraently he's done some obscurish 7 inch thing too, hmmm

Comment

The Vinyl is REALLY limited so be quick on vol 2 (not sure if you'll still be able to get Vol 1)....I'm biased because i like Shawn Lee alot...but i think both the PPO albums are very well done...lots of different library styles...some superb breaks and a credible homage to the sound library...
              Country be dyin like poor people do
              Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Eureka! the first song "P Walk" has been bugging me since I bought this cd because I knew I heard it somewhere before. at first I thought it was lifted from the Sonny Chiba "Street Fighter" film but then realized that this track is actually from the PS2 video game "The Getaway". found this article on the making of The Getaway score with Andrew Hale and Shawn Lee.
                Last edited by mech1; 28-04-2005, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Picked up Vol 2 at the weekend and really enjoying it. The nerd in me now realises that I need Vol 1 on vinyl (so I can put it next to vol 2 on the shelf and sit back and sigh contentedly). Anyone seen this around (virtual or real)?

Cheers chaps.
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
                    Anyone seen this around (virtual or real)?

Cheers chaps.
                    dusty groove used to have it, but i'm sure you don't wanna have to sell your kidney to get a copy from across the pond.
                    Last edited by mech1; 16-05-2005, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X