Aphrodisiac!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphrodisiac!

Found a fela kuti record yesterday. aphrodisiac. on emi nigeria. very very nice funky afro jazz. anyone know anything about it at al??

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

No. But it&#39;d seem that it&#39;s the weekend for Fela Kuti though...
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Wheres fin?&#33;?&#33;? Help&#33;

Comment

Has it got four tracks on it? If so, it&#39;s pretty rare from what I know. Early recordings, from 71 or 72, I think. Just when he&#39;d discovered his mojo, as it were. Never heard it, but it&#39;s supposed to be good.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]But it&#39;d seem that it&#39;s the weekend for Fela Kuti though...
          Yeah, it cetainly was - came away with a Nigerian pressing of the Roy Ayres / Fela Kuti LP with &quot;2000 Blacks&quot; on it... I can remember seeing this appear in shops on &#39;reissue&#39; (ahem..) but assumed it was some impossibly rare thing that I&#39;d never see. Until the weekend &#33; Is it a money LP ?? I&#39;ve never really persued the original, so am unsure as to it&#39;s worth..

... and a fine weekend for bagpipes too &#33;    
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I&#39;ve got the LP you mention Sermad - should have told you about it when we met up briefly yesterday -
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Yes Bill its got 4 tracks.

Afrodisiac (not aphrodisiac sorry).

Alu jon jonki jon (which is fab)
              chop and quench

eko ile
              ke&#39;nwi temi (dont gag me)

Fela ransome-kuti &amp; the africa&#39; 70

recorded at abbey rd&#33;

Comment

Yeah thats a great record, hard on nigerian issue too. One of his best i think - chop and quench is a stone cold killer. &#39;Aphrodisiac&#39; had loads of issues in lots of countrys (mine is a greek EMI), various covers, and has been integrated into lots of later 70s and 80s double LP sets, so its not hard to find the tunes - chop and quench also had a Uk single issue on Regal (hard), and single issues in France (and elsewhere in Europe, hard too), as well as an earlier 45 release in Nigeria on HMV (different version, very very rare) - but the actual LP doesn&#39;t show up that much on an original pressing. I think its from a great period, the songs are still quite short and brassy compared to the his later long song style, fucking ace record. If you like it, the ones to try and find are the Live with Ginger Baker (reissued, all over the place, older issues easy to find too), Felas London Scene (recorded n London, very very good, not re-issued, quite hard to find, probably quite pricy £30-40ish?), and the 69 Los Angeles Sessions (issued by Sterns in 1991ish? Quite elusive, but not pricy, you should find one in reckless after a while for a tenner).

Whats the cover of yours like? Ones I&#39;ve seen have the title in a nice typeface with leaves and vines down one side, and a photo of him looking out of a window or something, but I know there are different ones, and if you&#39;ve got the Nigerian issue, i&#39;d be intrigued, I don&#39;t think i&#39;ve seen it.

Comment

Yeah thats a great record, hard on nigerian issue too. One of his best i think - chop and quench is a stone cold killer. &#39;Aphrodisiac&#39; had loads of issues in lots of countrys (mine is a greek EMI), various covers, and has been integrated into lots of later 70s and 80s double LP sets, so its not hard to find the tunes - chop and quench also had a Uk single issue on Regal (hard), and single issues in France (and elsewhere in Europe, hard too), as well as an earlier 45 release in Nigeria on HMV (different version, very very rare) - but the actual LP doesn&#39;t show up that much on an original pressing. I think its from a great period, the songs are still quite short and brassy compared to the his later long song style, fucking ace record. If you like it, the ones to try and find are the Live with Ginger Baker (reissued, all over the place, older issues easy to find too, killer), Felas London Scene (recorded n London, very very good, not re-issued, quite hard to find, probably quite pricy £30-40ish?), and the 69 Los Angeles Sessions (issued by Sterns in 1991ish? Quite elusive, but not pricy, you should find one in reckless after a while for a tenner. Really really good, lots of short 3-4minute tunes, some of which were 45 issues in nigeria maybe under the Koola Lobitos name I think, but otherwise didn&#39;t get released elsewhere. Has that tune &#39;Lover&#39; on it which was on Nigeria 70 comp, beautiful record, sort of jazz, indefinable really).  

Whats the cover of yours like? Ones I&#39;ve seen have the title in a nice typeface with  leaves and vines down one side, and a photo of him looking out of a window or something, but I know there are different ones, and if you&#39;ve got the Nigerian issue, i&#39;d be intrigued, I don&#39;t think i&#39;ve seen it.

Comment

Wicked cheers fin&#33;

Im my excitement I think I misled you. Im pretty sure its a regal pressing - Indeed with mr fela looking pensive and vine leaves on the sleeve&#33; Marvellous stuff. I really want to get into more music like this&#33;

Comment

Definitely look out for the three I mentioned then, they&#39;re all excellent. the ginger baker one is indispensable (sp?) and you&#39;ll have one by lunchtime if you want one, you can hardly move for copies. selectadisc, souljazz, etc etc will have the re-ish on Kalakuta, and thats fine, good quality, legit etc. There are so many issues of it it not really worth fretting about an Og I think. also, Na Poi is a fucking great album, probably the last remnant of the early style.

Comment

I don&#39;t know the ones Fin mentioned but I would recommned &quot;original sufferhead&quot; and &quot;yellow fever&quot;. Both have the &quot;long-song-style&quot; but they&#39;re really nice...

Dreskie

Comment

Theres almost nothing thats not worth a listen, but some of my personal fave LPs of the later style are Gentleman, Sorrow Tears and Blood, Coffin for Head of State (killer), Alagbon close (b-side &#39;I no Get Eye for Back&#39; is wicked) JJD, Zombie, Expensive shit (the Pete Rock sampled b &#39;Water get no enemy&#39; is amazing), and the (at present not reissued) Volume 2 of Roforofo fight with maybe my absolute fave &#39;Trouble sleep, Yanga wake am&#39; on it, a beautiful piece of music.

Comment

and I&#39;d add &#39;Opposite People&#39; and &#39;Upside Down&#39; to that list...
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Aug. 27 2004,17:17)]and I&#39;d add &#39;Opposite People&#39; and &#39;Upside Down&#39; to that list...
                              It&#39;s is always incumbent, in such threads, for either Mr Stapleton or myself to recommend the purchase of Upside Down. This time it&#39;s John&#39;s turn, though I should reiterate it&#39;s not only the greatest thing Fela Kuti did, but also one of the greatest things anyone&#39;s ever done.
                              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Working...
                              X