Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving records

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of moving a large amount of records to another country?

It seems straightforward enough, just crate them up and ship them over.  But it there a flaw in this logic?

Are there any companies people would recommend?
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Hi Mate

To avoid the inevitable distress and anguish caused by moving your precious vinyl to Denmark, I can offer you my bespoke 'Hadrian Elephant Vinylcare Programme'.

This involves me arriving at your address in a very big van and carefully transporting your entire record collection to my house.

To deter would be thieves from stealing your priceless vinyl I will mix them in with all the common LP's and 7"s that constitute my collection, thus ensuring that in the unlikely event of a break in (check Suffolks crime figures folks), any records taken will probably be my 'Motown Chartbusters' LP's rather than your Brazilian and Euro rarities.

Should you ever need to hear any record you own, feel free to call me and I will play it down the phone to you.

How does that sound?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

is this a free service, hayd?  

i get the feeling you might be flogging the stock down at the kessingland booter.

Comment

Normally I would charge a small fee to cover petrol costs and labour, however since I know LHC all I ask is a couple of Ginsters pasties and 2 cans of tizer for myself and my nominated carrier: Vanman of Newmarket (Very) Limited.

Wooly, if I pull this off I'll be selling my collection at the Kessingland booter and keeping Left Hand Corners!
        He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Mr Hadrian Elephant,

I wish to thank you for your kind offer of storing my records at your gaff. It is very generous of you.

I would still like to pursue other options before making a final decision.

I shall keep you informed.

Comment

Hmm do you really need to move all your records?

What if the unthinkable happened and they got trashed/lossed/soaked?

Maybe take 50 or so as hand luggage!

But if I was to move them all I would a) plastic sleeve all of them. b) put them in record cubes padded with foam and seal them with a water proof covering c) find out how to get a haulage container and go that way.

Good luck!

Or just hire a van and drive over!

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Mr Hadrian Elephant - if you have any problems accomodating Mr Left Hand Corner&#39;s records, I can find space in the east wing for your collection. I assure you that they will be completely safe since, unless they look like a special edition Citroen Saxo or a Burberry pitbull jacket, they&#39;ll be of no interest to the neighbours.

Anyway, don&#39;t you and Mr Veris have a shared collection Mr Left Hand Corner - how will you divvy them up?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I have had experience of moving records across continents. I moved lots back from New York in 1996 when I relocated back to the UK. It cost a fucking fortune, but then it was several thousand miles, by boat.

I would listen to the advice of Sermad. If you have space anywhere in the UK, I would keep them there, at least for the time being.

When I moved to the US, I took one box of 75 records with. When I came back, I transported 57 boxes containing 50 records in each. I managed to accumulate nearly 3,000 records in 2 years. Ouch. It cost me about &#036;850 to transport them back.

If you are set on taking them, I&#39;d do it yourself if I was you. Get a big van and do it that way.
                http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

the lady bog has some sage advice- get a van and hop on a ferry to denmark (or germany, then drive up). i&#39;ve posted about 200 records from germany to engalnd before- when boxing them up, put a big shet of bubble wrap into the box, so it wraps around the records, helps to keep them water tight. i used several smaller boxes put togther to fill up a larger box too. but if you need most/all of your collection to travel with you, a van would have far fewer hassles.

Comment

I want to thank people for the advice. Loading up and driving a van over sounds like the way to go. Sorry Hadrian.

Comment

Working...
                    X