San francisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San francisco

Oh well, I'm of to San Fran on mid-September. I have 8 days and I need the info... You know the rest...

......so all you need to know is to pick up a copy of the yellow pages when you get there. .

Comment

have you tried the forum search? i'm sure there was a thread on this a little while ago, but my memory is terrible and it might have before the board crash.

Comment

Yep, tried it before starting this thread...

Comment

Isn't that where the legendary Ameba Records is?
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

yes, and the equally-legendary Groove Merchant
            http://www.blaxploitation.com
            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

...and Ernie B. Reggae. How about some other joints?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (amino @ Aug. 27 2004,11:43)]...and Ernie B. Reggae. How about some other joints?
                Well before you get to the yellow pages, ever tried google searching?

There's loads of 'em all with a contact number or email address.

Comment

Google and Yellow pages don't tend to rate them for price, content, approachability etc though do they - nothing like a bit of first hand experience - saves you time and money.
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Aug. 27 2004,12:09)]Google and Yellow pages don't tend to rate them for price, content, approachability etc though do they - nothing like a bit of first hand experience - saves you time and money.
                    Hence the phone numbers and email addresses.

And nobody on here will be able to tell you that a specific store has just got in a fresh collection that you might be first to get your grubbies on. The only way you do that is by direct contact with the store.

A quick call, certainly when you get over there (I usually spend the entire first morning) to each store, and you get the immediate feel of which stores you should proiritise.

If I was going to SF, I'ld be mailing shops right now, gauging stock levels, any other collectors been through recently, all that kind of important stuff, so you don't waste time when you're out there.

A quick google of San Francisco Collectors Record Stores, and you're away. It will yield results!! For me at any rate  .

Comment

Groove Merchant #1 in SF

Amoeba, Open Mind Music, Recycled Records all releatively close to each other in SF.
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Recordstorereview.com has some record store profiles up.

Comment

Thanks everyone for tips, links and advice

Comment

You really dont need anything more than the Groove Merchant. Chris is the man you have to see when in SF. Outside of that, Rooky's opposite the Groove Merchant is possibly the most coolest shop, with a table and chair to bring your lunch in and she does funk dance lessons at her monthly nites there which I sadly missed when last there. Amoeba is at the park end of Haight which you gotta see to believe their scale, but there's a smaller store in Berkeley. I think Nick checked this, but I didn't. Off Haight up the opposite end, nearby Groove Merchant, there's a few little shops also. Try on Divisadero too, a few smaller stores with a suprising number of cheap classics. Most of all, have a blast man, I love SF and wish I could go more, seriously friendly town for the lonesome traveller......Enjoy!
                            it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

I might be heading out to SF in a couple of weeks for vacation. I will definitely be hitting up Groove Merchant and Amoeba

Comment

Working...
                              X