Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the holy grail of soundtracks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ Sep. 02 2004,03:58)]Another good LP to be on the look-out for (which someone mentioned previously) is one of the Lupin anime LP's - really upbeat crime-jazz type stuff, very groovy indeed. Surely some other Japanese 1970's tv/movie/anime OST's must have been pretty funky too. .. wish I knew more. Quite a few Japanese 70's/late 60's films in my collection have decent scores (Female Convict Scorpion, Sonny Chiba - Streetfighter series, Stray Cat Rock, Sex Hunter, all those Nikkatsu "yoof" thrillers with a token club scene in. . and Koji Wakamatsu's "Ecstasy of the Angels", which has a wicked jazz soundtrack). The only other Japanese OST's I have are Enter the Dragon (2LP), a few Godzilla LP's, a 2nd issue of Profondo Rosso, a 1980 Bullitt reissue, 1980s Citta Violenta and Theoreme reissue and 2 original copies of Fist of Fury. I do have an LP with soundtracks from "Gincho Watadori" (?) and "Female Convict Scorpion" on 'em, but most of the consist of dialogue, though there's the odd fuzz guitar cue. Ahh, I lie. I also have an original Japanese copy of the "Starfleet" ("Bomber X&quot LP, which is cheesy, hard riffin' 80's rock. Cheese, but cheese that works.
    thanks for the link. I lifted the Shogun Assassin graphic from a site called Rottencotton.com...they've got a nice selection of cult/horror tees I wanna get my grubby hands on. I'm not sure about the quality of their service but i'll probably give 'em a try after I move next month---I want The Thing t-shirt and a few other bits.

    as for the Japanese OST's, I've got a few anime ones floating about, mainy stuff from 70's cartoons I used to watch as a kid (Grandizer, Cyborg 009, original Gundam lp, etc.). i've also got a few random tv show 45's like the Sonny Chiba 7" for Gorilla 7, Bruce Lee's Green Hornet and that stupid shogun/military time travel film he did. a lot of the 70's crime dramas were really good----I've got the Seibu Keisatsu lp which was a 70's cop drama, although the score wasn't what I remembered from the opening sequence of the show so I felt a bit let down.

    I did notice the funk coming from those films you mentioned like Street Fighter, i've been dying to find a soundtrack for this movie but I'm assuming none were ever made. ever notice the Hanzo The Razor score? good stuff. I think on my next trip back to Japan I'll have to dig through the record bins by my mom's house and see if I can find some gems.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (themack @ Sep. 02 2004,02:53)]if you dont like Superfly, you dont belong here. Period.

      one of the greatest albumbs ever made, not just one of the greatest soundtracks.

      Get a grip man.
      uhh, hello - around here people don't really get called out like this, especially people who contribute as much in terms of well reasoned debate as Benico

      you've been here since feb 04 and have mustered a measly 64 posts, you're already the pariah of SS, if anyone should 'get a grip' its you - learn to respect the opinions of others and perhaps life will be a bit better for you


      as for OSTs, I'm still looking for Farm - 'The Innermost Limits', and Sven's 'Inner Space'

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (themack @ Sep. 02 2004,02:53)]if you dont like Superfly, you dont belong here. Period.

        one of the greatest albumbs ever made, not just one of the greatest soundtracks.

        Get a grip man.
        I hope this is a joke

        Comment


        • #34
          it's the endless discussion what is a holy grair ?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 01 2004,17:22)]some of the rarer blaxploitation bits (... like Disco Godfather )
            E-man whats the story on this. Is this really of the same rarity as deep throat?

            I've been curious about since I read that piece on youre website. I'm hoping to turn one of these up in a collection someday seeing as this is LA.

            Also would you be willing to burn me a CD of this? I'm not too much of a disco man, but I love modern soul

            I cold hook you up with something and I still got a record that you wanted from waaaaaay back when

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ Sep. 01 2004,21:32)]I was reading the uber-geeky record collector mag and it said there was a bootleg OST LP of Schifrin's score for "Coogan's Bluff", which is a Don Siegel directed cop flick starring Clint Eastwood. THIS I would like to find. . . (anyone got it?)
              i passed on a copy of this a while back. it's an awful, mono pressing. only 1 side is lalo's coogan score and it's OK but nothing special. there is one longish drum break if you're into that.
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Sep. 02 2004,09:22)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 01 2004,17:22)]some of the rarer blaxploitation bits (... like Disco Godfather )
                E-man whats the story on this. Is this really of the same rarity as deep throat?

                I've been curious about since I read that piece on youre website. I'm hoping to turn one of these up in a collection someday seeing as this is LA.

                Also would you be willing to burn me a CD of this? I'm not too much of a disco man, but I love modern soul Â

                I cold hook you up with something and I still got a record that you wanted from waaaaaay back when
                yeah, easily the same rarity as Deep Throat. talking to other collectors it seems the only 2 copies we know about (mine and the bloke who sorted me out) came from LA. having said that, it's a funky disco record, and both were sealed. i reckon there will be more somewhere out there!

                you've got a great chance of finding OSTs there since, obviously, that's where all the promos get distributed.

                i used to think it was OK rather than good, but it's definitely a grower (every time i get it out i find something else on it). no problem about a CDR. the band are really good.

                PM me and we'll sort something out!
                http://www.blaxploitation.com
                Chops for show, groove for dough.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]if you dont like Superfly, you dont belong here. Period.

                  one of the greatest albumbs ever made, not just one of the greatest soundtracks.

                  Get a grip man.
                  To be fair, I think this is in jest. I take it as such anyway.

                  If not, he could suck my dead dick in return for his life. (Can you guess what I watched last night?!&#33

                  Re: Schifrin, I've seen 'Coogan's Bluff' and it is a wicked soundtrack. Could never understand why I'd not seen it around, now the muddied waters are clearing. Shame though, all that will happen now is someone will dub a shoddy version off the telly or something (like Showbiz did with The Taking of Pelham 123). Bah!
                  Jet Boy stole my baby.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    nick c asked about pound. it's mental. really heavy small group funky jazz. very, very rude, very infantile, and therefore very funny. solid all through too.

                    a totally different kind of record to, say, Superfly, but a damn good one if you're into gritty funk rather than a smoother soulful sound.

                    i've been told by several indepedent sources that only 100 promos were pressed - it's got a hand-stamped white cover and label which adds a little credence to the story.
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Someone on S***strut found one didn't they? Think it's in the 'Ish' section.
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        speaking of rare ....

                        if anyone has a copy of legrand "la piscine" they could always contact me ....

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ Sep. 02 2004,04:53)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (themack @ Sep. 02 2004,02:53)]if you dont like Superfly, you dont belong here. Period.

                          one of the greatest albumbs ever made, not just one of the greatest soundtracks.

                          Get a grip man.
                          uhh, hello - around here people don't really get called out like this, especially people who contribute as much in terms of well reasoned debate as Benico

                          you've been here since feb 04 and have mustered a measly 64 posts, you're already the pariah of SS, if anyone should 'get a grip' its you - learn to respect the opinions of others and perhaps life will be a bit better for you
                          If The Mack's post was in jest a wouldn't have gone amiss.

                          There are sites where abuse towards complete strangers appears par for the course, then there are others where they compliment and understand each others musical tastes in a gentlemanly and considerate manner whilst offering tea, scones and snuff to all that are logged on.

                          I'd like to think this board is in the latter category.
                          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]offering tea, scones and snuff to all that are logged on.
                            Jesus H elephant boy! You keep your death porn to yourself!!

                            That said, I'll skip the scones and proceed straight to cheese muffins smothered in crunchy peanut butter please! (Smooth peanut butter is for puffs)
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Sep. 02 2004,10:28)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ Sep. 02 2004,04:53)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (themack @ Sep. 02 2004,02:53)]if you dont like Superfly, you dont belong here. Period.

                              one of the greatest albumbs ever made, not just one of the greatest soundtracks.

                              Get a grip man.
                              uhh, hello - around here people don't really get called out like this, especially people who contribute as much in terms of well reasoned debate as Benico

                              you've been here since feb 04 and have mustered a measly 64 posts, you're already the pariah of SS, if anyone should 'get a grip' its you - learn to respect the opinions of others and perhaps life will be a bit better for you
                              If The Mack's post was in jest a  wouldn't have gone amiss.

                              There are sites where abuse towards complete strangers appears par for the course, then there are others where they compliment and understand each others musical tastes in a gentlemanly and considerate manner whilst offering tea, scones and snuff to all that are logged on.

                              I'd like to think this board is in the latter category.
                              Ah, it's almost not worth posting about: a big yawn upsetter floated across from SS is all it amounts to... Still, we all have our moments of aggressive message board madness - I'm certainly no stranger to that!
                              http://wakeupanddie.com
                              http://weirdgearnyc.com
                              http://makethingsmatter.com

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                It may not be worth a huge amount, but the hexangonal, purple vinyl issue of The Andromeda Strain is certainly a curio worth getting - just for the overall insanity factor. Lots of bleeps too.
                                http://wakeupanddie.com
                                http://weirdgearnyc.com
                                http://makethingsmatter.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X