Us folkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Us folkies

A few years back I dabbled in a few Melanie, Buffy Sainte Marie, Joan Baez, et al LPs but found them not really to my taste and have tended to ignore them since...until recently, as a few exceptional bits have started to reach my ears. Things like Buffy Sainte Marie's 'Illuminations' set, or Karen Beth's beautiful 'Joys Of Life' on Decca, or the recent CD issues of Karen Dalton's stuff. And I've got some Shawn Phillips on my wants list, but what else needs adding?

Did Joan Baez do anything other than the rather po-faced warbling I've so far heard? Did Peter Paul & Mary groove up their sound in the later 60s? What's worthwhile from Melanie and Buffy Sainte Marie, or anyone else in that vein? Listening to Karen Beth & 'Illuminations' this afternoon, I suspect I may need to take my finger *out* of my ear on some of this US folk business!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 02 2004,15:22)]Did Peter Paul & Mary groove up their sound in the later 60s?
    I have a solo lp by Mary Travers which has a nice version "I Wish I Knew How It Felt To Be Free".

The name Karen beth is ringing a vauge bell as well. Maybe she was the US lady folkie I got an lp by recently.

And Kate taylors Sister Kate is good - especially for the cover of John & Beverley Martyn's "Sweet Honesty".
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Sep. 01 2004,16:57)]The name Karen beth is ringing a vauge bell as well. Maybe she was the US lady folkie I got an lp by recently.
      Have to look out for the Kate Taylor, sounds good. As for Karen Beth, this is the LP in question, very nice fragile folk, couple of more uptempo cuts with horns etc, but mainly acoustic/organ/cello and her (slightly odd) voice...very beautiful LP though (did some research and she seems to still be going, but these days as a kind of 'womanspirit' lilith fair kind of campus folkie...)
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

The lp I'm thinking of is a 1979 re-pressing of an eqrly 70's one. Different sleeve anyway - so I am not sure about the name. Description could fit though. Is there a song based on a poem about hiroshima called "a thousand paper birds" or somesuch?
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

if you want a blast of something foly yet different I'd recommend Tim Buckley's "Starsailor" & "Lorca" LP's both are pretty bugged out free jazz versions of what folk can be.

wait...did thay even make sense?

ehhh, I'ma let it stand as is

Comment

As for Melanie, seek the Garden In The City album on Buddah. The last track on side B is an absolute classic - 'People In The Front Row', real flute groove type thing.
            http://jimcassius.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Sep. 02 2004,17:38)]if you want a blast of something foly yet different I'd recommend Tim Buckley's "Starsailor" & "Lorca" LP's both are pretty bugged out free jazz versions of what folk can be.
              Totally agree - and Blue Afternoon and Happy Sad of course.

I just assume everyone knows this already but I suppose not everybody has worn out their copies of Blue Afternoon already. I think I have every official album of outakes and live stuff too.

Sadly I was wrong about Karen Beth the lp I was thinking of was Chris Williamson.

Gonna have to relisten to Garden In The City - it was on my use it or lose it pile for the last few months.

John Peel

Comment

Talking about american femme folkies, I've just discovered Erica Pomerance "You used to think", originally on ESP.
                It's a weird & disturbing album, similar to Simon Finn "Pass the distance", Erica's vocals are over the top & she is accompanied by some free jazz musicians.

Comment

I may have mentioned it on here a couple of times before but Priscilla, "Gypsy Queen" (Sussex LP) has got a couple of very nice funky folk tracks on it.

Priscilla was Rita Coolidge's sister and Booker T's missus (he produced the LP).
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Sep. 16 2004,00:50)]I may have mentioned it on here a couple of times before but Priscilla, "Gypsy Queen" (Sussex LP) has got a couple of very nice funky folk tracks on it.
                    Have to keep my eyes open (though anything on Sussex I'd tend to pick up anyway) - is it a fairly common one, or a bit harder/more expensive to turn up? Erica Pomerance sounds intriguing too...bit of research to do, obviously!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Sep. 16 2004,23:00)]Talking about american femme folkies, I've just discovered Erica Pomerance "You used to think", originally on ESP.
                      It's a weird & disturbing album, similar to Simon Finn "Pass the distance", Erica's vocals are over the top & she is accompanied by some free jazz musicians.
                      hi mate

ill give you a good trade for that LP if ya want rid, i sold mine years ago and need it back

please please pleas

pm me please
                      www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 17 2004,01:37)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Sep. 16 2004,00:50)]I may have mentioned it on here a couple of times before but Priscilla, "Gypsy Queen" (Sussex LP) has got a couple of very nice funky folk tracks on it.
                        Have to keep my eyes open (though anything on Sussex I'd tend to pick up anyway) - is it a fairly common one, or a bit harder/more expensive to turn up?
                        Not sure, mine came from a bootie. I would imagine its fairly cheap, although I have seen one track off it, "Let It Shine" on a couple of playlists.
                        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (TuckinFrat @ Sep. 17 2004,08:42)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Sep. 16 2004,23:00)]Talking about american femme folkies, I've just discovered Erica Pomerance "You used to think", originally on ESP.
                          hi mate

ill give you a good trade for that LP if ya want rid, i sold mine years ago and need it back

please please pleas

pm me please
                          Well, I don't have the original vinyl! It's a recent reissue...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Sep. 17 2004,18:12)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Originally posted by [b
                            hi mate

please please pleas

pm me please
                            Is that reissue easily available I've been looking for a copy having heard here comapred with Patty Waters who is great if you want free jazz vocal stuff. Here version of old folk tune Black Is The Colour Of My True Loves Hair is beautiful and scary in equal parts. Pretty far from where we started this thread but recognisably still connected.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Sep. 17 2004,18:35)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Sep. 17 2004,18:12)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Originally posted by [b
                              hi mate

please please pleas

pm me please
                              Is that reissue easily available I've been looking for a copy having heard here comapred with Patty Waters who is great if you want free jazz vocal stuff. Here version of old folk tune Black Is The Colour Of My True Loves Hair is beautiful and scary in equal parts. Pretty far from where we started this thread but recognisably still connected.
                              Yeah, it has been reissued by italian label Get Back on both vinyl & cd. They're putting out all the ESP catalogue.
                              I also love the Patty Waters album but Erica Pomerance is more freaky, druggy lyrics and all that. The music is in a more folk psych vein. Her vocals are just amazing. I'm sure you'll love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X