60's Pop Chart Albums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
    Some more hit Brit girl LPs with good funkier stuff on...

For her version of Rain...

For Down Dismal Ways...
    Got all the Sandie LP's except the one you've posted above, will pick it up as I do see this about often, and the rare later one with the Led Zepp cover on it. Found 'Love me please love me' a big disappointment which I wouldn't recommend, nothing stands out from it.

Got that Pet one for the cover of 'Rain'

Had high hopes for the album she did in the early 70's with Johnny Harris at the helm, but it doesn't work for me, it should do on paper, shame.
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

• Originally posted by peter sundae View Post
      Seconded on the 'Two yanks in England' LP.

'Beat and soul' needs a mention also.
      Got a spare gold label Warners 'Beat & Soul' if anyones looking for one. Solid LP, that...

A bit outside the thread timeframe, but might also be worth mentioning the Everlys early 70s country tinged effort 'Stories We Could Tell' as being worthy of investigation, and available in a variety of sleeves/issues, all of them cheap.
      Last edited by wayne; 27-05-2010, 01:06 PM.
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
        On a Hollies note people should not leave the Nothings Gonna Save Our World comp LP from the late 60's. An exclusive track called Wings which Nash admitted was him attempting to write Expecting To Fly by the Buffalo Springfield. Pretty good effort as well.

Edit...just noticed Wings has footage....splendid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxANMSqpWmY

The 'Nothings gonna save our world' comp used to go for biggish money a few years back due to it having the pre Phil Spector version of 'Across the universe' on it. Which is why I picked it up originally

Had no idea the Hollies track was also an unreleased tune until I read the Hollies article in Shindig mag last month, presumed it was a B side or something, good track
        -

Comment

• Potential for a very nice mix based on the comments ove the last few pages...

must be someone with a good few of these who could have a go...

Nudge, Nudger

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• Originally posted by wayne View Post
            Got a spare gold label Warners 'Beat & Soul' if anyones looking for one. Solid LP, that...

A bit outside the thread timeframe, but might also be worth mentioning the Everlys early 70s country tinged effort 'Stories We Could Tell' as being worthy of investigation, and available in a variety of sleeves/issues, all of them cheap.

I've also got a spare of 'Stories We Could Tell' which is a freebie to anyone who wants it at the next Brillo as unlike the much rarer (decent trade record) 'Beat and Soul' it's a cheapo easy find.
            -

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
              Mindbenders - S/T - I've seen this LP priced between £1 and £50 over the years - it shouldn't set you back too much - proper stomping pop LP with a killer instrumental track buried away on there.
              Yep, I was going to mention this one as well.
              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• Originally posted by peter sundae View Post
                ...the rare later one with the Led Zepp cover on it.

Reviewing The Situation - only got a reissue of this but I like it a lot.

Comment

On the Cliff "issue", I've professed my love for him round these parts on many an occassion...

I would add that, despite his dorky image, he did what virtually every other 50s rock'n'roller who had a hit did, on either side of the Atlantic but especially over here - put out some early pioneering singles when ridiculously young, headed defiantly to the middle of the road via films, found God and put out many a hidden gem through to the mid-70s. This was the career path that everyone traversed - even The Beatles started as if they were going that way...

I can't hold this against him.
                  Early Cliff's great Rockabilly/RNR no dorkiness there !

Apparently he 'got God' after he'd had an affair with Jet Harris's missus - then saw Harris turn into a lush and have that bad car accident ......hmmmm....be sure your sins'll find you out...or something
                  "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

• Originally posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
                    Early Cliff's great Rockabilly/RNR no dorkiness there !
                    Absolutely. His early singles are genuine r'n'r greatness and probably the first ten or so have either an A or B side that is well worth it. For my money, you can almost hear American r'n'r turning into British beat (and on into psych) - there's something about Hank's guitar, the occasionally fey English vocals and the crisp EMI production that foreshadows a lot of stuff that would come out over the next ten years...

Comment

• Just dug that Mindbenders record out - had no memory of listening to it before, but it's really good!
                      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• I foolishly sought out Cliff's version of 'end of the show' by Dennis Wilson...and listening to his revolting stagey false emoting over it nearly ruined the song for me.

Odd good track here and there - I like 'in the country' because it's just a good honest pop song- but generally I'd always take someone else singing the song over him. Which is why I was very pleased to find a TOTP version of 'throw down a line'

And 'affair with Jet Harris's wife' my arse.
                        "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• Bob Stanley had a good piece on Cliff Richard in The Guardian last year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...rd-bob-stanley

He picks ten songs - played one after the other they sound pretty good.
                          YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanP View Post

I did find a pretty cool track on a Batchelors album as well, but it aludes me for the moment. Something about love blah blah. Kind of Irish ivy league.
                            Found one Bachelors late 60's 45 worth keeping, nice mellow harmony take on 'Punky's Dilemma' never thought I'd find a Bachelors track worth keeping.

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                            'Tracks and Grooves' is another Cliff one that goes very nicely with 'Sincerely...' - most people suggest this is Cliff's wilderness period, but most people are wrong.

I've also recently discovered 'Cliff Live In Japan '72' with the marvellous instro opening track 'Backscratcher'.
                            Saw this 'Japan 72' in the bargain bin at a indoor market record stall, had to leave it behind as it was severely trashed. Pretty rare record, export I think.
                            -

Comment

Absolutely. His early singles are genuine r'n'r greatness and probably the first ten or so have either an A or B side that is well worth it. For my money, you can almost hear American r'n'r turning into British beat (and on into psych) - there's something about Hank's guitar, the occasionally fey English vocals and the crisp EMI production that foreshadows a lot of stuff that would come out over the next ten years...
                              Agree. Many of the Psych/Beat guitarist which came later learnt the guitar playing along to these early Shadows records. You seen it eluded to in interviews and telly docs all the time.
                              Last edited by peter sundae; 27-05-2010, 03:15 PM.
                              -

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
                                And 'affair with Jet Harris's wife' my arse.
                                From a Jet Harris piece in The Guardian:

Cliff's apparent sexlessness is used as a stick to poke him with, yet he was at the heart of a story which puts Abba and Fleetwood Mac's internal traumas in perspective. In the early 60s he had an affair with Carol Harris, the wife of Shadows bassist Jet Harris. "They had a fling and I started drinking a bit more," says Harris. "I was stood behind Cliff every night, thinking about it, but I didn't want to lose my job. I was the last to know. That shit was all over the News of the World." Harris's drinking led to him being thrown out of the Shadows, which was followed by a terrible breakdown, yet Harris is extraordinarily gracious about Richard today. "If anyone has a go at Cliff, I shout them down. We were a mean band but, life-wise, we were only kids. We didn't know what day it was."
                                "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X