Memphis brown beatband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis brown beatband

Blimey, pop out for lunch and, well, just have to nip into the charity up the road...and there's a bloomin' mint 'Birds'n'Brass are Back' for 40p.   Not just posting to gloat, though (well, maybe a bit - was joking with Wooly recently about the 39p price sticker still on the 'Soundsational' LP he traded me awhile back) but because there was also another LP I figured looked worth a punt, and it really was.

It's 'A Taste Of Beat' by Memphis Brown Beatband (Music For Your Home), looks totally unpromising (Skye Boat Song, John Brown's Body etc) but sounds like a proper freakbeat LP in places - 'Did You Ever Love A Woman' is full on funky garage rock, and lots of the rest is pretty good too (Evil Hearted Man, Don't Sing Lovesongs, Worried Man Song, Nine Foot Shuffle, This Old Hammer etc). Should turn up for pence and well worth a few of them!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 06 2004,16:38)]bloomin' mint 'Birds'n'Brass are Back' for 40p.   Not just posting to gloat, though (well, maybe a bit - was joking with Wooly recently about the 39p price sticker still on the 'Soundsational' LP he traded me awhile back)
    good gawd. all the luck!

Comment

Excellent LP, this Memphis Brown one - dunno anything about the people behind except they're almost certainly European, possibly Italian or Austrian (MFYH seemed to source a fair bit of their stuff from these two countries).

I notice one of the tracks has a remarkably similar bassline to 'Sorry Doc' by Hartmut Kiesewetter on the Popshopping 2 comp, but whether there's any connection or not, I don't know!

Damn exploitative budget labels and their lack of proper credits!

Comment

By the way, Wayne, you seem to be having remarkable luck on the digging front, what with all this and the Wyngarde as well - can I touch the hem of your cloak for luck?

Comment

Well, you haven't seen some of the unadulterated rubbish I've been wading through till this last week or so, but hopefully the fairly quiet couple of months are now leading into a more fertile digging patch...I think it'd be the flap of my bag or something you'd need to touch, mind - not been wearing the cloaks for a good few years now, honest!

And had another listen to Memphis Brown, and forgot to mention 'Lonesome Road': proper Cherrystones Rock type number, no word of a lie!
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

you're just showing off, ye git!

Comment

Working...
            X