Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On behalf of the family of Neil Suddes (Towny)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sad news. I met Neil in Edinburgh a few years back and struck me as a very warm and funny gent. Rest in peace Towny.
    YEE VOOLURES-AWL!
    YEE WANS YER EAR-TROOMPETS CLEENIN'!

Comment

• RIP TOWNY!

Dress

Comment

• I never met Towny in person, but we swapped PMs and suchlike, often about disco, house and modern soul matters - he was an expert in all three - and it's incredible to think of someone like him leaving us so soon. Terrible news.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

• I was shocked and saddened to read of Neil’s passing. I would like to offer my condolences to his family and everyone who knew him.

It is touching to read so many tributes on here to someone who was clearly a very good man besides having an amazing depth and breadth of knowledge about records.

I did not have the pleasure of meeting him, but he was a pillar of this forum and the community that’s developed around it. It will be strange and sad to look on here and not read any more posts by him.

Comment

• so sad to hear the news that Towny moved on.
            i remember him from my days on Vinyl Vulture, which was years ago.

my condolences to all of you who were close to him
            carry the good memories with you.

rest in peace

tony

Comment

• Really sorry to hear this sad news. I participated in the xmas swop in 2008 and thought Towny's CD was the best of the lot. Best wishes to friends and family at what must be an awful time
              www.soundcloud.com/stroud-calling

Comment

• very sad news.

Thoughts to Neil's family and friends.
                [email protected]@K

Double Sight Weekender - Glasgow Garage & Psych Weekender 4-7th October 2012
                The Freak-Beats Club: Glasgow's new happening club night!
                "Get the Records!" On Youtube channel

Comment

• Such sad and shocking news. His swap cds were among the best and he was a brilliant artist, print-maker and all-round creative inspiration.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.
                  http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

• Sad to hear this news, only really knew him via pm's on printing/artwork. Very friendly and always a reason to come back here.

Comment

• Just logged on after a few days away to discover this very sad news. I'm sure Towny will be greatly missed by all on the forum. My sympathies to his family and friends.
                      you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

• My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

• There's some beautiful words and stories here. Like many others I don't really know where to begin..

I met Neil in the summer of 2003, at The Tanners in Byker, Newcastle. He lived in Darlington at the time. That first time is one I'll never forget, for in the space of an hour I went from feeling we'd already somehow met before, to feeling I'd known him all my life.. We just clicked. I remember thinking he was the coolest bloke I'd ever met. He was. I remember his eyes lighting up when I asked him if he was into disco, I quickly realised that that was a fairly daft comment on my part!

The following month I blagged an hour playing alongside Craig, Sie and Neil. About twenty minutes in, and Neil certainly got rid of any nerves I may have had. I played 'You've Got To Have Freedom' by Pharoah Sanders, to which he leapt out of his seat, confronted me from the other side of the bar and just screamed 'Yeeeessssssss! And that was about as aggressive as he ever got, screaming in response of a great record! We would share those 'Yeeeessssss' moments over the coming years, often between the hours of 1A.M. to 6A.M., post - Tanners, and often to the same twisted disco record on repeat for an hour and a half! We'd get a couple of hours sleep, then he'd be hassling me for a half a dozen cups of tea, and then it'd be off to Tynemouth market, where he never failed to turn me onto stuff. I remember him stopping at some random stall, selling all manner of rubbish, and arms outstretched asking the seller ''what's all this sh!t then!!?''.. classic Towny! How he spoke his mind! And how he made us all laugh, so hard I'd have to tell him to stop after a few hours of him splitting my sides.

Every time he came to mine on the Saturday afternoon he'd have his half hour rant about the kids of today, people on the roads, the price of pork pies etc etc, then he'd actually have a little acknowledging snigger at his ways, and follow it up with a ''So then, Daveh, you been buying any records?''... that'd be the next six hours of conversation sorted. To think that is no longer is just uncomprehendable at the moment, but like all who have met him and shared so much laughter, music, warmth and happy times, I must feel blessed, lucky and so very thankful. Which reminds me... the last record he gave me, the last time we saw eachother was William DeVaughn's 'Just Be Thankful'.. and that, I have to think, is just so grande..

My thoughts are with his family and all of his many friends. x
                          stretchy eyes..........

Comment

• Originally posted by d-cee View Post
                            I played 'You've Got To Have Freedom' by Pharoah Sanders, to which he leapt out of his seat, confronted me from the other side of the bar and just screamed 'Yeeeessssssss!
                            I remember playing Merry Clayton at the first Byker and being startled when Neil leaned in behind the bar to sing 'Good Girls' along to the chorus.
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

There's some beautiful words and stories here. Like many others I don't really know where to begin..

I met Neil in the summer of 2003, at The Tanners in Byker, Newcastle. He lived in Darlington at the time. That first time is one I'll never forget, for in the space of an hour I went from feeling we'd already somehow met before, to feeling I'd known him all my life.. We just clicked. I remember thinking he was the coolest bloke I'd ever met. He was. I remember his eyes lighting up when I asked him if he was into disco, I quickly realised that that was a fairly daft comment on my part!

The following month I blagged an hour playing alongside Craig, Sie and Neil. About twenty minutes in, and Neil certainly got rid of any nerves I may have had. I played 'You've Got To Have Freedom' by Pharoah Sanders, to which he leapt out of his seat, confronted me from the other side of the bar and just screamed 'Yeeeessssssss! And that was about as aggressive as he ever got, screaming in response of a great record! We would share those 'Yeeeessssss' moments over the coming years, often between the hours of 1A.M. to 6A.M., post - Tanners, and often to the same twisted disco record on repeat for an hour and a half! We'd get a couple of hours sleep, then he'd be hassling me for a half a dozen cups of tea, and then it'd be off to Tynemouth market, where he never failed to turn me onto stuff. I remember him stopping at some random stall, selling all manner of rubbish, and arms outstretched asking the seller ''what's all this sh!t then!!?''.. classic Towny! How he spoke his mind! And how he made us all laugh, so hard I'd have to tell him to stop after a few hours of him splitting my sides.

Every time he came to mine on the Saturday afternoon he'd have his half hour rant about the kids of today, people on the roads, the price of pork pies etc etc, then he'd actually have a little acknowledging snigger at his ways, and follow it up with a ''So then, Daveh, you been buying any records?''... that'd be the next six hours of conversation sorted. To think that is no longer is just uncomprehendable at the moment, but like all who have met him and shared so much laughter, music, warmth and happy times, I must feel blessed, lucky and so very thankful. Which reminds me... the last record he gave me, the last time we saw eachother was William DeVaughn's 'Just Be Thankful'.. and that, I have to think, is just so grande..

My thoughts are with his family and all of his many friends. x
                              Well put Davie mate thats just put a big smile on my sad face, that captures Towny to T.
                              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

There's some beautiful words and stories here. Like many others I don't really know where to begin..
                                Perfect mate... I can picture the whole scene..

From the first time I met Neil he welcomed me with open arms and soon filled my arms with records that I didn't know and could never find in a million years.

His generosity, honesty and love for music was immense and like it has been said many times here will be missed greatly.

On sunday I played a Dj set with predominantly records I had gotten from him or that we had talked about and both loved.

like you said Davey, I also loved it when he came up to the turntables rather loudly pushing his head out to the beat and sayin' "what the f++k is that" I knew I had the "Towny" seal of approval and that was a great lift for me.
                                http://soundcloud.com/gumbo-yaya
                                www.myspace.com/gumboyaya
                                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000093723775

Comment

Working...
                                X