Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On behalf of the family of Neil Suddes (Towny)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
    Well put Davie mate thats just put a big smile on my sad face, that captures Towny to T.
    Brilliant Davey...brought a much needed smile to my face as well.

Some wonderful thoughts and comments on here and so touching to see how Neil affected so many different people.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Really sad to hear this terrible news. I met Towny at the last Preston VV meet up that Boney organised in 2008. I only chatted to him briefly, but could tell he was a top, top fella. That was a great night, Towny had designed the poster for the night and played some great tunes - here's a little reminder...

RIP TOWNY. We'll miss you.
      Destroy all the stereotypes

Comment

• Great snaps mate - and what a lovely flyer...i remember him being peeved because boney had not copied them from the actual jpeg or something like that - hence a drop in quality that to the normal eye would be no problem,but i admired his love for detail...it made him who he was / just listening to TINSEL TOWNY 2008 before and the way it is put together is stunning...and how did he find all these nuggets of sound?
        I thought i knew a lot about music and then i met Neil.
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by gumbo-yaya View Post
          ...I also loved it when he came up to the turntables rather loudly pushing his head out to the beat and sayin' "what the f++k is that" I knew I had the "Towny" seal of approval...
          I was just thinking earlier about that trademark enthusiastic leap to the decks when there was something that caught his ears.
          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
            I was just thinking earlier about that trademark enthusiastic leap to the decks when there was something that caught his ears.
            Always made my evening...Everytime !!!
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Very shocked and saddened when I read this.

I didn't know Towny personally, but rather through the many posts he made on this forum - a pillar of the VV/VG+ community.

My condolences to his family and friends alike...

Comment

• From an old friend

Reading this thread has really helped get over the shock of hearing such terrible news at the weekend and bring back some good memories. I met Neil around 1991 in Cambridge and until he moved back up to Darlo we saw lots of him. Sadly since then we had only seen him a handful of times. He introduced me and my other half in 1993 (and we're still together now).

I have some great memories of Neil and Graeme doing their nights at Route 66 in Cambridge. The night always seemed to end with Terry Callier's 'Dancing Girl' and me spinning around slightly inebriated.

His music taste was, as you all know, awesome. He had an unnerving ability to find the track he wanted to play you through all those thousands of records. Whenever I hear particular tunes I always think of him. In fact his taste in music really shaped my taste in music. If I ever felt I'd found a gem at a car boot or a chazzer, you could guarantee Neil would casually say, "oh yeh, I've got two of them". The chazzers were definitely a richer picking ground once he left Cambridge

I was always floored by his amazing design abilities, photography etc. So it's good to see some of his more recent designs on this board. A man of great taste, as others have already commented.

We had some excellent nights with the endless Suddes banter. He was always so entertaining and, like us, fond of a Duvel or two.

We'll miss you greatly Neil. You deserve a mighty fine send off. x

Comment

• Props

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                  Always made my evening...Everytime !!!
                  Mine too! There was always something really satisfying about dropping a tune while DJ'ing out - or in my room - and having Neil pop his head round and say "Fookin' HELL!".

Obviously, more often than not it happened the other way 'round...;-)

Comment

• All,

I have spoken with Neil's family and I have the funeral arrangements and the family's wishes. If you would like them, please contact me via PM, email or phone.

Thanks,
                    Sie
                    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Very sad news indeed and so young. His input and great swap CDs will be truely missed :-(
                      My Mixcloud

Comment

• Originally posted by d-cee View Post
                        I met Neil in the summer of 2003, at The Tanners in Byker, Newcastle. That first time is one I'll never forget
                        I can vividly recall the first time I met him at The Tanners at a Byker Groove session... Obviously there was a bit of vinyl hustling going on (not to mention drinking), and Lee told me Towny had some records to trade, so I should ask for a wee look. I duly introduced myself and asked if I could have a look through his poly bag. He obliged and as I flicked through the selection, my jaw just about hit the floor - killer after total killer.

Now, Towny's digging prowess preceded him, but I could hardly believe it. I pulled something out - what do you want for this? "Err, that's not for trade..." Oh right. I pulled something else out. What about this? "No, that's not for trade either." Hmmm. Next few titles were all met with the same response. I was probably getting pretty vexed by this point - and he must have thought I was a right muppet, until he eventually explained I was actually looking through his DJ set...
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

• That's a great story Andrew and one I remember well. I mean, who else but Neil would turn up with an tatty Iceland carrier bag stuffed full of raers ready to DJ...
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                            I can vividly recall the first time I met him at The Tanners at a Byker Groove session... Obviously there was a bit of vinyl hustling going on (not to mention drinking), and Lee told me Towny had some records to trade, so I should ask for a wee look. I duly introduced myself and asked if I could have a look through his poly bag. He obliged and as I flicked through the selection, my jaw just about hit the floor - killer after total killer.

Now, Towny's digging prowess preceded him, but I could hardly believe it. I pulled something out - what do you want for this? "Err, that's not for trade..." Oh right. I pulled something else out. What about this? "No, that's not for trade either." Hmmm. Next few titles were all met with the same response. I was probably getting pretty vexed by this point - and he must have thought I was a right muppet, until he eventually explained I was actually looking through his DJ set...
                            He was staying a mine that night, and we walked back to mine on route we went to the 'happy chippy' for some food. Now this is no ordinary chippy, it's in the middle of Newcastle's gay area, and it sells a wide array of stuff as well as fast food. Neil was that surprised at the range of vibrators etc they sold that he left the shop with out his bag of records! Luckily I was not as drunk as him, and went back and retrieved them form the counter!!!
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• my thoughts goes out to the ones here who knew him and offcourse to his family. the tinsel towny mixes where favourites among the swap mixes. mixed with a great feeling and a great design to accompany it. rest in peace
                              rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

• It was at a record fair in Cambridge when I first met Neil back in 1993. It was a Saturday morning and he stood right out from the crowd as he was probably the most smartly dressed person in the hall and already had a carrier bag of vinyl? We ended up at the same stall at which I was amazed to see him bartering with the stall holder for some obscure funk LP (Burning of Atlanta I think) and handing over a bag of his old chuff (which I'd have loved!). The dealer was spieling on about the LP being a very rare record. With the rye smile that Neil gave me I think he got the better deal! I was in awe straight away and we got chatting. Another time I remember he was moving house so I popped round to see how it was going and couldn't believe the amount of vinyl he had boxed up ready to move. They covered the whole of the living room floor - all beautifully ordered and with individual plastic covers. I had never seen so much vinyl in one person’s collection! And this was after he'd sold a huge amount of soul after getting the jazz bug! To this very day I am still trying to pick-up records which he put me on to all those years ago.

His Tinsel Towny mixes are like him, unique and inspiring and still on heavy rotation in my house. There have been some requests for other Towny mixes people might have, which I'd like to echo. I have finally pulled my finger out and uploaded the sets he played at the Monte Carlo night in Milton Keynes last year (they can be downloaded) - enjoy.

http://soundcloud.com/bodger/

Photos of the night available here:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=874173

Other friends and VG+ members have expressed his loss far better than I could - I'll just say there is now a big hole where Neil should be...

RIP Neil
                                Last edited by bodger; 25-06-2010, 07:33 AM.
                                Time to say peace...

Comment

Working...
                                X