Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On behalf of the family of Neil Suddes (Towny)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great foto's Bill, thanks a lot for sharing them.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
      Great foto's Bill, thanks a lot for sharing them.
      Cosign that.

Here's a photograph from Ben Saunders (via H) who used to run a club in Cambridge called Grand Central that Neil DJed at occasionally.

The 12" artwork behind him was hand-painted by Neil with 'Suddes' just visible in the label credits!

Talented man.
      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill_Hart View Post
        I sit here with tears in my eyes, I found out on Wednesday evening, Neil's Mum phoned mine, because I work overseas my Mum waited for my return before telling me......devastated doesn't come close.....

I met Neil in 1985, I briefly dated his sister, Ruth, she is a wonderful person, as are Neil's parents, Sandra and Alan.....all 4 welcomed me into their home all those years ago and it was a fantastic place to be.....they are all so talented art wise.......it's hard to put into words.....our romance didn't last....but that didn't really matter....I had met Neil, that frienship would last.....

It has been mentioned here that Neil was a cyclist, maybe some will not realise, he was quite an accomplished racing cyclist.....I trained with him most days, spending hour after hour beside him, chatting when it was downhill.....when it was uphill....well, lets just say Neil was a little lighter then and I had to try hard to keep up.......he was always brilliant to be with....I got to spend lots of time with him on the bike.....we travelled to races together and sometimes rode as a team.......we won some stuff.....that was great too......I went for a ride today over roads we used.....I was truly gutted......it was hard.....not because of the hills but because of the lump in my throat......I saw his parents today and told them I was riding some of "our roads".....they are in good shape, or so they told me......they are great people, it's no wonder Neil turned out as he did.....

In 1990 we decided to tour France, being cyclists it seemed the obvious thing to do......I was lucky enough to have a bright red TVR convertible at the time....so we filled it up and set off for three weeks or so......we didn't know where we were really going but that was part of the fun......we had three objectives....l'Alpe d'Huez (famous alpine climb in the tour de France), a campsite in Perpingnan (Pip who posted earlier was on holiday there and we vowed to meet her and her friend, they never believed we would) and the Pyrenees.....we did it all....and met up with Pip....I dug out photo's for Neil's parents less than an hour ago......there are quite a few of Neil, but one of the two of us with Pip in the background with her cheeky grin....

We covered around 3000 miles over three weeks or so.....we were within touching distance for most of it.....24/7....he was like a little brother to me........

I moved to Aberdeen just before the holiday and when I got back I met a girl there and married......I lost touch with Neil for a while.......I am back in the North East now and over the past 15 years or so our paths have crossed....he has stayed in our spare room here not so long ago.....he (of course) wanted to go through my records, I gave him some stuff, he was very appreciative, I didn't think it was such wondeful stuff, but the thanks he gave was as usual more than required.....I think I can take credit for taking him on his first ever record searches.....we did a few all-nighters and all-dayers....boxing day at Bolton was a good one.....we also spent days in Bradford going through box after box in junk shops and charity places...

I loved spending time with him and I cannot believe he has gone

You were one of the good guys Neil....I will miss you

Bill
        Thanks for that Bill. I discussed cycling with Neil occasionally (usually just how the TDF was progressing each July) and he mentioned his trip to France but never went into great detail as to the extent of his cycling achievements. Typical of the guy to underplay his ability on the bike whilst showing more interest in what rides I'd been doing or if I'd picked up any decent records lately.
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
          Cosign that.

Here's a photograph from Ben Saunders (via H) who used to run a club in Cambridge called Grand Central that Neil DJed at occasionally.

The 12" artwork behind him was hand-painted by Neil with 'Suddes' just visible in the label credits!

Talented man.
          I notice it must have been before the smoking ban there Ian mate.

Great picture BTW.
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Here's the tunes Towny sent me...

I have no other info to offer as they arrived with nothing but titles, but others might be able to fill in some of the gaps.

The cry that wolfed boy http://www.divshare.com/download/11822725-b3b

Hush http://www.divshare.com/download/11822726-146

Modified headstand http://www.divshare.com/download/11822727-be8

Sweet jams and jellies http://www.divshare.com/download/11822728-33a

The politician http://www.divshare.com/download/11822729-9c3

Um - you made me understand Towny remix http://www.divshare.com/download/11822782-006

Corporate saturation http://www.divshare.com/download/11822783-a15

Called, sent http://www.divshare.com/download/11822784-5b3

Duck sitting http://www.divshare.com/download/11822785-4d7

What planet is this? http://www.divshare.com/download/11822786-377

My abiding memories of Neil boil down to two incidents which still make me smile every time I think of them.

A few years ago after the Edinbrillo event back at mine with a posse of Vultures we indulged our selves in listening to much good music, banter (Zorse anyone? ) more booze and mind leaves... The night was drawing to a close somewhere between 5am and 6am and everyone was flagging a bit to the point were some had already 'gone to bed' on the floor. I put on a particular tune which has a pretty ear catching intro and Neil snapped back into action jumped to his feet and demanded I play it over and over again until he'd fully got his head around it. His thirst for music was unquenchable...

The second memory is of when he, Slim Jim and I enjoyed a fruitful days digging in the environs of Harrogate on Halloween last year. After treading the town we settled in one of the towns many teashops for refreshments. The staff were all dressed up in witches and monsters costumes and somehow we got into a conversation with them about the hand made chocolates they were selling... Turns out violet & rose creams were the big sellers amongst their patrons and much to our surprise a short while later a plate of these hot sellers arrived for us to sample... Neil disliked the taste so much he literaly spat the chocolate out and followed it with a rant of momentous proportions. Although he was truely disgusted by the taste he still managed to charm the waitress and make her feel at ease, even though she thought she'd mortally offended him. A true gent who wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

RIP Neil, it's gonna be an emotional day tomorrow.
            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• Not been on VG+ for a while, and only just seen this. Awful, awful news, and yet somehow this has become a wonderful thread, a very emotional read.

Happy to have been party to the wealth of knowledge & warmth Neil shared on here, my thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP.
              FunkyDown
              Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill_Hart View Post
                I sit here with tears in my eyes, I found out on Wednesday evening, Neil's Mum phoned mine, because I work overseas my Mum waited for my return before telling me......devastated doesn't come close.....

I met Neil in 1985, I briefly dated his sister, Ruth, she is a wonderful person, as are Neil's parents, Sandra and Alan.....all 4 welcomed me into their home all those years ago and it was a fantastic place to be.....they are all so talented art wise.......it's hard to put into words.....our romance didn't last....but that didn't really matter....I had met Neil, that frienship would last.....

It has been mentioned here that Neil was a cyclist, maybe some will not realise, he was quite an accomplished racing cyclist.....I trained with him most days, spending hour after hour beside him, chatting when it was downhill.....when it was uphill....well, lets just say Neil was a little lighter then and I had to try hard to keep up.......he was always brilliant to be with....I got to spend lots of time with him on the bike.....we travelled to races together and sometimes rode as a team.......we won some stuff.....that was great too......I went for a ride today over roads we used.....I was truly gutted......it was hard.....not because of the hills but because of the lump in my throat......I saw his parents today and told them I was riding some of "our roads".....they are in good shape, or so they told me......they are great people, it's no wonder Neil turned out as he did.....

In 1990 we decided to tour France, being cyclists it seemed the obvious thing to do......I was lucky enough to have a bright red TVR convertible at the time....so we filled it up and set off for three weeks or so......we didn't know where we were really going but that was part of the fun......we had three objectives....l'Alpe d'Huez (famous alpine climb in the tour de France), a campsite in Perpingnan (Pip who posted earlier was on holiday there and we vowed to meet her and her friend, they never believed we would) and the Pyrenees.....we did it all....and met up with Pip....I dug out photo's for Neil's parents less than an hour ago......there are quite a few of Neil, but one of the two of us with Pip in the background with her cheeky grin....

We covered around 3000 miles over three weeks or so.....we were within touching distance for most of it.....24/7....he was like a little brother to me........

I moved to Aberdeen just before the holiday and when I got back I met a girl there and married......I lost touch with Neil for a while.......I am back in the North East now and over the past 15 years or so our paths have crossed....he has stayed in our spare room here not so long ago.....he (of course) wanted to go through my records, I gave him some stuff, he was very appreciative, I didn't think it was such wondeful stuff, but the thanks he gave was as usual more than required.....I think I can take credit for taking him on his first ever record searches.....we did a few all-nighters and all-dayers....boxing day at Bolton was a good one.....we also spent days in Bradford going through box after box in junk shops and charity places...

I loved spending time with him and I cannot believe he has gone

You were one of the good guys Neil....I will miss you

Bill
                Bill!
                I was hoping you would turn up on here! I have so many images in my head of me and Leanne sitting on the bloody parcel shelf of your tvr in our bikinis (OMG!). You two ripped it up on that holiday - so beautiful.

So many memories of dancing the night away in the back room of that shady club in Darlo or out to Tall trees (what was that place called?!Hee hee) on a Sunday to and getting my education in the way of the Suddes - god I loved him, and will do till the day I die. Cantankerous, hilarious, passionate, intelligent, beautiful, humble, generous...

I remember him drinking in Blacketts and me stalking him until he finally realised I fancied the arse off him (god he was slow on the uptake sometimes!). That bloody twinkle of mischief perpetually in his eye as his super sharp mind scampered through his witty repose to anything you could throw at him - we were hilarious!

Southport weekenders - skirting the outside of the jazz room dancefloor watching in awe as the big black dudes from Leeds leapfrogged over each others heads! Driving from Darlington to Leeds to go clubbing on a regular basis - driving down to Cambridge to see Neil play at route 66 and meeting up with Graham, Rose and the crew - loving it so much that Neil and I moved back down the Cambridge into some flea infested pit and we made him take the upstairs bedroom so his records were away from the damp! I sat with him as he decided which records to take to Cambridge and which to leave at his folks (there must have been millions squirrelled all over the country!). He talked about cataloguing his collection for insurance purposes so many times - dont think he ever got very far. with all the squillions of records he could always pick just the right track, lay his hads on any track with some mental taxonomy known only to him.

soooo many cups of tea at his folks house talking about ferns, succulents, wood carving, painting, feeling hugged in the heart of such a loving and accepting family of beautiful and creative people. I cant believe I wont be there with them to celebrate Neils life. So I tell my stories here, have my wake here, and cry here.

long nights at our place in Victoria Embankment with Tony and Georgia and all the girls from Barny - some majorly mispent youth all round! Sooooo many nights out and lazy days in, framing the world as we grew within it, sharing every thought. So much laughter.

Lying in the attic listening for days to Neils latest finds, each critically assessed and appraised with his perfect ear and me dancing around like a bloody spinning top, running up and down 4 flights of damn stairs to make another cuppa!

I am absolutely devastated to not be there to celebrate Neils life with you all tomorrow. Send him off in style you guys please - my sympathies goes to whoever has got to come up with the music that sees him off. Tough crowd! I hope someone records it.

Drink, laugh, fight over his records, hug each other and hope there is an after life and he is pissing himself laughing because you know in his heaven he would be surrounded by the most awesome musicians who ever walked this planet and they would be saying "this short arsed northern guy got us to the very essence, his soul is as ours is - filled with the rythms that make life worth being alive for".

love you always Neil

Comment

• This is really really sad. I remember meeting Neil at the Byker Groove and being so happy to have finally met him, hung out and chatted. He was a great character and had such a brilliant attitude to music and life.

We talked a few times about releasing his music to the world and this never worked out sadly. If its ok I'll post some of the songs I have of his up if I can find them.

Best wishes to his family and close friends.
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

• i just heard the news and i am really shocked. it was only a couple of weeks ago that i was looking for signs of him on facebook and i found some place where he was deejaying and left a message. i can't stop thinking about it.

i remember some of the names of you guys from the old vinyl vultures days. i've been having a bit of a sabbatical from buying records so i haven't kept up with most of you. but i actually knew neil "in real life" from the days of deejaying in the devonshire arms in cambridge - with hayden, richard sever, neil, chris swales, max... it was pretty much the worst venue for playing records - i remember it had a sound limiter that if people talked or laughed too loudly would shut off the music. but we were so into our music it didn't matter. we looked forward to that wednesday (or whatever it was) where we could natter about records, play our latest acquisitions or run up to the booth to ask what was playing (it was usually neil to surprise us, it goes without saying).

i've known people to be competitive over records or secretive about their latest discoveries but not neil: he was always relaxed and friendly and happy to share. he always had these amazing anecdotes (somewhat exaggerated i always suspected) behind the records he pulled out of his bag - the sort of holy grail stories that make sifting through all that junk worth it. i remember particularly when he turned up to a night i was deejaying at with a friend with a load of crazy records he had picked up for 40 pence each in a charity shop. at the time i'd never heard of the band (this was in 1993) - they were all by a group called "mandingo" - but i let him play them out. blew me away.

the one evening i most remember is one when i popped round his house randomly (we both lived in gwydir street for a time). i said that for all the diamonds he had in his collection, he must have a whole load of crap records too and i challenged him to give me his worst. the thing is, we'd had something to smoke and tune after tune sounded brilliant - we were pissing ourselves laughing. the following week at the devonshire arms he played those same records and i remember they still sounded so good to us but were met with some baffled looks from the others. still, there were a couple of gems in there like "un graso de areia" and "special project" by chaquito. i still don't know how much my taste was influenced by that one evening.

those were the days. so much good music to discover, it felt like it was unlimited. neil was as close as it gets to being the person that represented all that i loved about that time, about that music: his sense of humour, his taste, his knowledge and, above all, his humility. since i moved to spain i have hardly been in contact with him but he was one of those friends you felt you could pick up with at any time. it seems that i was wrong. very sad news, i think i will go down to the basement tonight and dig out some of the tunes he put me on to.

RIP

--- rob smith
                    Last edited by teticio; 30-06-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• What a beautiful thread. Wish I'd met Towny.

Always thought "Tinsel Towny" was the best name for a CD, out of the hundreds I've received through VV swaps.
                      http://wakeupanddie.com
                      http://weirdgearnyc.com
                      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

• Hi all im new here and really just joined because I was a good friend of neils for many years although I had lost contact in recent times
                        Neil was one of those people that had a massive impact on everyone he met.
                        It was nice meeting some of you at the funeral yesterday although I wish it could have been under different circumstances
                        I have a few pictures of Neil I would like to share
                        Some taken at my wedding as he was my best man and some at a club night that include some amazing artwork he did for us
                        Would it be ok to post them here?
                        RIP Neil you where one of a kind and will always be remembered

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackwax View Post
                          I have a few pictures of Neil I would like to share
                          Some taken at my wedding as he was my best man and some at a club night that include some amazing artwork he did for us
                          Would it be ok to post them here?
                          RIP Neil you where one of a kind and will always be remembered
                          You're very welcome to post the photos here, I'm sure there are many who would appreciate them, some of whom you met yesterday.

Comment

• Many thanks
                            I see someone has posted the shot from the club already the one with the large salsoul disc
                            And after reading some of the other posts I think I may have met a fair few people on this board in Cambridge already!
                            For those that might no me me real name is steve reed
                            I will post an introduction in the correct area
                            And post more pics tonight

Comment

• Few weeks away and shocked to hear this very saddening news, RIP Neil.

Never met Neil, but after all the contributions he made to the site and the great stories about him, feel like I missed a chance to hang with a one off original...
                              Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackwax View Post
                                Many thanks
                                I see someone has posted the shot from the club already the one with the large salsoul disc
                                And after reading some of the other posts I think I may have met a fair few people on this board in Cambridge already!
                                For those that might no me me real name is steve reed
                                I will post an introduction in the correct area
                                And post more pics tonight
                                Alright Steve, back down memory lane eh fella !
                                After the prestayn pic we now meet again over this, on a different baord !

Rich Johnson
                                Jammin's rap odyssey thingy pt1 blah blah

Comment

Working...
                                X