Soulful house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soulful house

A "listening to some old records I've not played in years" session over the weekend reminded me how soulful some House music can be.

What have I missed over the last few years? I think the last thing I bought was some Palmer Brown afrohouse track.

Cheers my dears.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

The best record I've heard this year is Scott Grooves' The Journey, which is a Detroit house record, with typical Detroit-y strings, but very groovy. Not a vocal track, though. Vocal tracks are very thin on the ground this year, unfortunately. The best one I've heard so far (and the competition ain't stiff) is Foolish & Sly's Move A Little Closer which is really good.

If you go here there's a soundclip (it's the original mix):
    http://www.piccadillyrecords.co.uk/
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 07 2004,14:45)]Vocal tracks are very thin on the ground this year, unfortunately. The best one I've heard so far (and the competition ain't stiff) is Foolish & Sly's Move A Little Closer which is really good.
      I think there's a few floating about at the moment that are quite tasty.

Kenny Carjaval - My words
      Morten Trust - I put my faith in you
      Rhythm Slaves - Let your love shine on
      Johnny Fiasco - In the best mood
      Sunburst Band - Fly away
      Free Radikalz - Open up

Comment

Thank you for the replies Mr LadyBoyGrimsby & Lord Belson. I shall investigate your recommendations.

What have been the classic soulful house tunes over the last three or four years?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Sep. 07 2004,15:22)]Thank you for the replies Mr LadyBoyGrimsby & Lord Belson. I shall investigate your recommendations.

What have been the classic soulful house tunes over the last three or four years?
          A few would have to be;

Hardsoul feat Ron Carroll - Back together
          Sean Escoffery - Days like this (Spinna mix)
          Roy Davis Jnr - Closer to you

I've particularly liked the productions by Jay J and Duron Tarik.

Labels that have been worth checking over the last few years have been Soulfuric Deep, Phuture Soul Recordings, the ever dependable Large and Tilted.

Comment

Personally, I always hated that Days Like This, though I'm very much in a minority since everyone plays it. The production on it is really uninteresting.

However...

These are a few of my heavy hitters over the past few years:
            Dubtribe Sound System - Do It Now
            Aaron Carl - Soldier
            King Britt presents Oba Funke - Uzoamaka (a spoken word rather than full vocal, but I love it)
            Maxwell - Fortunate (Jay Denes Mix) (I don't normally approve of house mixes of R&B records since the timestretching always ruins the song, but this works well. It's a bootleg, though)
            Harry Romero feat. Robert Owens - I Go Back
            Soulstice - Fall Into You (Fred Everything Mix)
            Ndea - On! (Fred Everything Mix, a bootleg, but brilliant)
            Gus Gus - VIP (Farley & Heller Vocal)
            Furry Phreaks - Soothe
            Symetrix - Life Goes On
            Charles Webster - Your Life (anything, in fact, by Charles Webster or any of his pseudonyms; the last three are all his productions)

Comment

Looks like LBG and Lord Belson have beat me to it!

Is there any music Greg doesn't know and have good taste in? Death metal?

Bill wont be surprised that I liked Days Like This as well, given my limp wristed soul leanings.

I agree with most of Bill & Gregs (that I know) such as Kenny Carjaval - My words

Incidentally can anyone get me a copy of Rise by Kenny Carjaval & John Redmond on Music 101? It's proved elusive since I missed it when it came out.

Other tracks I like from the last few years are:

Kimblee - Fade (orig not remix)
              Jafrosax - In The Morning (Jazztronik remix)
              DJ Oji & Una - We Lift Our Hands In The Sanctuary (orig mix not the remix)
              Blaze - How Deep Is Your Love? (this is a fair few years old mind)
              Luther Vandross - Are You Using Me . MAW mix (a bit of soulboy house song if there is such a thing, not everyones cup of tea)
              Peven Everett - I Can't Believe I Loved Her
              George Levin - I Got Somebody New (the mix on the first release that is souly rather than technoey)
              I've liked a lot of stuff Mahogani have put out too.

Perhaps I can turn the tables on you LHC. What were the tracks you were listening to that reminded you how good soulful house was?
              He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Sep. 07 2004,16:37)]Looks like LBG and Lord Belson have beat me to it!

Is there any music Greg doesn't know and have good taste in? Death metal?

Bill wont be surprised that I liked Days Like This as well, given my limp wristed soul leanings.

I agree with most of Bill & Gregs (that I know) such as Kenny Carjaval - My words

Incidentally can anyone get me a copy of Rise by Kenny Carjaval & John Redmond on Music 101? It's proved elusive since I missed it when it came out.

Other tracks I like from the last few years are:

Kimblee - Fade (orig not remix)
                Jafrosax - In The Morning (Jazztronik remix)
                DJ Oji & Una - We Lift Our Hands In The Sanctuary (orig mix not the remix)
                Blaze - How Deep Is Your Love? (this is a fair few years old mind)
                Luther Vandross - Are You Using Me . MAW mix (a bit of soulboy house song if there is such a thing, not everyones cup of tea)
                Peven Everett - I Can't Believe I Loved Her
                George Levin - I Got Somebody New (the mix on the first release that is souly rather than technoey)
                I've liked a lot of stuff Mahogani have put out too.

Perhaps I can turn the tables on you LHC. What were the tracks you were listening to that reminded you how good soulful house was?
                Mr Elephant's wrist is so limp, I've noticed him walking round with it supported by a fishing rod.

Anyhow. I can also heartily recommend the last two Blaze albums. Don't ask me what they're called, but they're great home listening, although I must confess to not playing any of the tracks in clubs that much.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]Perhaps I can turn the tables on you LHC. What were the tracks you were listening to that reminded you how good soulful house was?
                  Hadrian,

The track that really stood out for me was Sound Patrols "Trippin Amongst The Stars".

Relistened to some Carl Craig, Blaze, Black Jazz Chronicles.

I also played some earlier Detroit stuff. Machine made music with plenty of soul. Yer Model 500s and such like. (Does anyone else like Model 500s latter track Be Brave? I know I do&#33

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Sep. 08 2004,10:05)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Perhaps I can turn the tables on you LHC. What were the tracks you were listening to that reminded you how good soulful house was?
                    Hadrian,

The track that really stood out for me was Sound Patrols "Trippin Amongst The Stars".

Relistened to some Carl Craig, Blaze, Black Jazz Chronicles.

I also played some earlier Detroit stuff. Machine made music with plenty of soul. Yer Model 500s and such like. (Does anyone else like Model 500s latter track Be Brave? I know I do&#33
                    If you like Sound Patrol's Tripping Among The Stars, then you'll also like Technique's When There Is Love (Derrick Carter Mix). From the same time period as Sound Patrol, when Derrick was a lot more obviously soulful. Brilliant record.

Also, if you like the Detroit stuff, then you definitely should check out the Live Strings Mix of Blackwater by Octave One (and definitely avoid the vocal version which they used to try and cross it over). It's ace, though I play it at -8.

Oh, and also Carl Craig's mix of Cesaria Evora's Angola and his recent production (under the name Detroit Experiment) Think Twice, which was a collaboration with Donald Byrd and is one of the best house records of the past 5 years (it's very slow, about 114 bpm). Both great.

Comment

Cheers MrLadyBoyGrimsby,

Will check out those recommendations. Maybe you can drop them at Fresh Brillo?

Got the Detroit Experiment LP. Think Twice is great but the rest of the LP is a bit hit and miss.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Sep. 08 2004,10:52)]Cheers MrLadyBoyGrimsby,

Will check out those recommendations. Maybe you can drop them at Fresh Brillo?

Got the Detroit Experiment LP. Think Twice is great but the rest of the LP is a bit hit and miss.
                        Sadly, Think Twice is the only good track on the LP. It actually came out on a 12-inch through an Unabombers compilation sampler, which I bought and didn't bother with the CD.

Comment

Working...
                        X