Terry callier..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry callier..

soo, i've been appreciating this man's output ever since the chance encounter with him on beth orton's ep... does anyone know a good price guide for his earlier lp's (anything pre- 'fire and ice' and 'turn to you to love&#39? i've only got the re-ish's as they always seem to go for $$$'s on ebay

oh, and is there any truth to the rumour that he cut an lp *before* 'the new folk sound..'??

I think the "Look At Me Now" 45 on Cadet came out before that LP.

There was also some previously unreleased stuff from around the same period as the 7" that surfaced on an anthology lp about 5 - 6 years ago.
    Endless Tripe

Comment

I always thought that 'The New Folk Sound' was his first. And as an idea on value, I had a prestine mint copy both sleeve and vinyl about a year back, and sold it for £100. The condition it was in, I could probably have got more now.

Occasional Rain is a nice album with the original take of Ordinary Joe on it. I've got a promo copy of this and that regularly goes for £75.

What color is love? is for me the alround best album he's done - period. I've seen this vary in price from £30 upward. Recently seen for £60.

And the 'other one' which I can never remember the title of!! Probably the least consistant of his albums arounfd this time, for me at any rate. Usually fetches around the £40 mark.

Comment

Terry's great - I'm a big fan.

Might not be too kosher but there's some great early stuff of his on CD that was never issued at the time. One comp of demos and live tracks called First Light is especially good, a slower jazzier version of Ordinary Joe and some tunes that aren't on any of the albums. Trick All Your Time away is a particularly great tune.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I have to second Mr Emperor Tomato Ketchup's recommendation- First Light is a great comp and well worth getting.
          records - one a week mixcloud
          records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

thanks all.. i've passed on that first light comp because (i thought) i had all the early lps/cds.. should've looked harder

'occasional rain' and 'what clolour..' are my fabourite original lps, astoundingly good stuff.. have you ever checked his live records? 'live at mother blues', chicago in '64 is fantasticly good too- 2 basses and tel on the acoustic.. a rather impressive voice for a computer programmer!! not heard 'tc in dc' or the recent 'alive' yet though

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (hayes @ Sep. 09 2004,11:31)]not heard 'tc in dc' or the recent 'alive' yet though
              I have both but neither is very essential - unless you;ve been bitten bad by the Callier bug like me.And to be doubly annoying I kept seeing the live at mother blues CD cheap round Dublin shortly after I payed full whack for it in London.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Terry is a God in my opinion. The best concerts I've ever been to were his.

Comment

he's vastly approaching that status 'round my place.. only seen him at glastonbury 4 or 5 years back, but it was great. i'd love to catch him in a smaller venue.. he plays regulary in london, right?

Comment

He seems to tour often enough. And the concerts are often 2+ hours though he does let the band take some decent solos so as to pace himself which is fair enough given his age.

Last time he played in Dublin he encored with an amazing version of Cotton Eyed Joe - almost like off New Folk Sound. Speaking of which has anyone got the new CD of that with extra tracks - I'm wondering if its worth paying out for given that I already have the previous version (well of course it is...)

John Peel

Comment

extra tracks, you say? un-released material? i may be tempted to re-purchase!

Comment

There's 3 extra tracks from the same sessions. Be My Woman, Jack O' Diamonds and The Golden Apples Of The Sun. So new songs not different versions. Its on BGP.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                        X