Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The birdie song

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The birdie song

    picked up an LP from the charities the other day, entitled THE ORGINAL 1981 EL BAILE DE LOS PAJARITOS, DANCE LITTLE BIRD DE VOGELTJESDAMS (THE BARNUM & BAILEY CIRCUS HIT&#33 the name BOBBY SETTER SHOWBAND & KURT WHISTLEBOY FLEMING is on the front sleeve, although all the tracks are listed to different artists, the real gem on here is a moog disco version of 'the birdie song' by the barnum and bailey circus hit!, there's also a very cheesy version of 'making your mind up'

    maybe LORD THAMES can shed some light on this record?
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

  • #2
    Actually, I can't - but it sounds awfully familiar. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere a long time ago, and neglected to buy it. That'll teach me!

    If you happen to have the single of The Tweets' version of the Birdie Song, flip it over for a nice bit of flutey orchestral disco on the b-side, 'Mellow Terrain' - much better than the A-side!

    Comment


    • #3
      unlike you LT, do you want a CDR copy?
      I want to go to the land of ooog!

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd certainly be interested - sounds like my sort of thing, gawd help me!

        Comment


        • #5
          I have always been curious about the origins of "The Birdie Song". I have an Italain compilation from the early 70's with a version of that on moog synth and its titled "Chip Chip". I can't recall the label or the artist.

          David S.
          God bless Fatso.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Sep. 10 2004,23:08)]I'd certainly be interested - sounds like my sort of thing, gawd help me!
            i was going to say "please don't implicate my good friend lord thames with the bloody birdie song". but i won't now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (happy monster @ Sep. 10 2004,21:34)]the real gem on here is 'the birdie song'
              can we have an icon for abject terror please?

              maybe like Edward Woodward at the end of the Wicker Man when he realises what's about to happen...
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]If you happen to have the single of The Tweets' version of the Birdie Song, flip it over for a nice bit of flutey orchestral disco on the b-side, 'Mellow Terrain' - much better than the A-side!
                Back to top
                Now that's the sort of info you can only get on VV!
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (wooly @ Sep. 11 2004,00:29)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Sep. 10 2004,23:08)]I'd certainly be interested - sounds like my sort of thing, gawd help me!
                  i was going to say "please don't implicate my good friend lord thames with the bloody birdie song". but i won't now.  



                  Soundsville - I think The Birdie Song dates back to the 1950s, though the early 80s revival came about when a recording by Dutch group The Electronicas was used by disco proprietors in Benelux countries to empty dance floors! Cult following ensued, and British music entrepreneur Henry Hathaway decided he wanted a piece of the action, and put the Tweets together - this had the unwanted side effect of killing any credibility Hathaway had, and ensuring he was known as the Birdie Song man for ever more.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I certainly know from the old (who'se from France) that it was a hit there but with crap lyrics about dancing ducks and it was called "Le Danse de Canard". I herad they couldn't be arsed translating the lyrics for the UK release and so just used the backing track.
                    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

                    John Peel

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Sep. 11 2004,13:10)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (wooly @ Sep. 11 2004,00:29)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Sep. 10 2004,23:08)]I'd certainly be interested - sounds like my sort of thing, gawd help me!
                      i was going to say "please don't implicate my good friend lord thames with the bloody birdie song". but i won't now.  



                      Soundsville - I think The Birdie Song dates back to the 1950s, though the early 80s revival came about when a recording by Dutch group The Electronicas was used by disco proprietors in Benelux countries to empty dance floors!  Cult following ensued, and British music entrepreneur Henry Hathaway decided he wanted a piece of the action, and put the Tweets together - this had the unwanted side effect of killing any credibility Hathaway had, and ensuring he was known as the Birdie Song man for ever more.
                      I found that Electronicas version in a charity shop many years back. It sounded so promising until I dumped the needle on the record and got 'diddle-diddle-diddle-dum, diddle-diddle-diddle-dum.....'.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Should you find the electronica's LP it has the enigmatically titled 'Dance of the Buttocks' on it.

                        It's every bit as good as the Birdie Song.
                        Specialising in Rusty Goffe since 2009

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That's definitely one of those lung-collapsing moments you get when you realize you've been booked for a really bad gig...

                          Someone requests the goddamn Birdy Song...

                          ("Dancing Queen" is another very reliable indicator)

                          ...it'd be nice if there was a really mean version you could punish such people with. Did Pantera cover it or am I dreaming?
                          *

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X