How would we feel about a new night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would we feel about a new night?

How would people feel about making our Brillo fresh meetings bi monthly (or even doing something similar but under a different name)?? The reason I ask is that I may be able to secure a night for us at a club called Smersh in Old Street which is co owned by Paul Hallam. The club is quite small but has a great atmosphere, at least it had on the night I was there.)

What night would people want to make it? Would we want to have the same format as at The Salmon which is a blinding night, it just seems to take an awful long time to come around.

I'm just floating this idea to see if enough people would be interested in coming along. What do you think???

Check out the bars website

http://www.smershbar.co.uk/

sounds like a great idea. shame there's no beer icon in the smilies

Comment

Am I right in assuming you mean making the meeting bi-weekly (not bi-monthly).

Smersh, run by Paul and a fella called Danny DeCourtelle, I believe?

I'm up for keeping it monthly - Freshbrillo has only just got started, so I'ld like to think we'ld give it a bit of room to breathe, if you know what I mean.

Another night, IMO, could be a bit of overkill - still, maybe another night in the month could present an opportunity to those that can't make the second Monday of the month.

Or unless we're offered a Friday or Saturday night, and turn it into the full on Freshbrillo clubbing experience. Now that I would be up for!!

Comment

I assumed that people would have regular gigs on Fridays and Saturdays, if this isn't the case then this could be an option. I'm not sure I agree that having another night would be overkill, people seem enthusiastic enough to make a second night. I definitely don't want to replace The Salmon session, just add to it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ 14 May 2003,10:26)]I assumed that people would have regular gigs on Fridays and Saturdays, if this isn't the case then this could be an option. I'm not sure I agree that having another night would be overkill, people seem enthusiastic enough to make a second night. I definitely don't want to replace The Salmon session, just add to it.
          Undeniable about the enthusiasm - absolutely.

Part of that maybe the focussing on the one night in the month that we hook up every 2nd Monday.

I dunno - it's cool an'all, but I'ld hate to see two OK nights instead of one great one, each month. Nah mean?!

What the hey - prove me wrong Vulture people!

Comment

I agree with greg - once a month is enough for me. Gives everyone time to sort trades, find new interesting bits and also give the people that travel quite a distance a breather too.

When your juggling the amount of work related commitments that I've got...you'll realise that taking an extra night off is really difficult.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;d love to see what has started at FreshBrillo go on to spawn other nights *eventually*, but I think right now it would spread everything pretty thinly.

I find it pretty tough both arranging and affording to make it to the monthly meets to be honest right now (ends up costing me about about the same as my monthly record buying budget &#33 - but the pure enjoyment of attending makes it well worthwhile.
              Matt Hero

Comment

Gotta agree with Belson, Sermad and Matt... Once a month is a nice amount of space to come with some new finds and it&#39;s something to look forward to. I think twice a month would spread things out too thinly - I for one doubt if I&#39;d make it to two a month... However, some sort of related DJ night there would be cool&#33; There&#39;s just too much music out there that&#39;s not getting enough play&#33; Just don&#39;t make it a Thrusday Mark&#33; Got something brewing in the cauldron...
                http://wakeupanddie.com
                http://weirdgearnyc.com
                http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Mark,
                  Given that this kind of started from a conversation we had a while back - I reckon the best way to do it would be as a club night that would be viable without Vulture support, but hopefully with a few of &#39;em coming down now and again&#33;

This would appear to work best as a monthly night, with thu/fri/sat being the easiest to fill, but it depends what kind of music policy we&#39;d want to promote. Basically I&#39;m up for a regular dj spot at Smersh, so is Nick (big) and I&#39;m sure we could have a Vulture guest spot once a month.

If you are still interested in this as a format then we should meet up, maybe at the bar itself, see what other nights are currently running so we&#39;re not duplicating them, find out what slots are available and think about how we would promote the night. I think it&#39;s a great bar, and given its size wouldn&#39;t need too much to get it going (famous last words - see Fin&#39;s unfortunate demise elsewhere) because it generates a great atmosphere.

We&#39;d need to get a clear selling point - good graphics/flyers and a great name blah blah. I think the venue would suit a jazzy slightly mod-ish night, but am open to suggestions.

So, llmod1, interested ?
                  Stop wasting your money on records and get a proper hobby.

Comment

I agree with the bods who say we all can&#39;t suppport another swap-meet/piss up type thing that easily on a more regular basis. What with sorting out tunes, travelling across/into London and that.

BUT, selfishly speaking - as I work down the road from Smersh , I&#39;d be up for a little regular get together to spin some tunes -early doors and that. As DaddyDan says - If people want to come down they wouldn&#39;t need to bring a bag of records to show/swap/play. Just listen to some nice tunes and have some vodka shooters...

So I&#39;m up for giving some support where I can, so let us know..

Mark - drop us an email fella&#33;

Comment

Second that, I&#39;m fed up with the Hoxton Shoreditch area as a whole, but I&#39;d deffo come down to Smersh for this night...
                      http://wakeupanddie.com
                      http://weirdgearnyc.com
                      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Yep, me too. Fresh Brillo is running luvverly right now so I, for one, wouldn&#39;t want to mess with it, but I&#39;d certainly be interested in coming from oop norf (well, Finchley) for something like this...
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Oh, don&#39;t get me wrong.... I&#39;d certainly be interested in attending or contributing to something like you suggest Mark/Dan.

I just didn&#39;t want to mess with the very successful was FB/BF is running just now. Despite me playing Goodies records (in my defence John started it by playing The Wombles).
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Hey, don&#39;t knock the Goodies - &#39;Ride My Pony&#39; is a seriously good track (and the TV version&#39;s pretty good too)
                            Get the DVD - there&#39;s some incredible tunes on there&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 14 May 2003,16:47)]Hey, don&#39;t knock the Goodies - &#39;Ride My Pony&#39; is a seriously good track (and the TV version&#39;s pretty good too)
                              Get the DVD - there&#39;s some incredible tunes on there&#33;
                              What about the cricklewood shakedown track on the new goodies lp?

Super funky&#33;
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X