Dr terror's house of horrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr terror's house of horrors

So did anyone else see Dr Terror's House Of Horrors on the box on Saturday? It's pretty hilarious viewing, as I tend to find most Hammer films.. but I was bowled over by the superb jazz theme played by Roy Castle with the Tubby Hayes Quintet, in the story featuring the young passive-smoking, record-breaking trumpeter.

Now I know there's a rare 7" from the film, which was 're-issued' recently, which has a track from the film called 'Voodoo Girl', and a spoof on the theme which doesn't actually feature in it.

I didn't remember 'Voodoo Girl', which I seem to remember being some exotica type joint featuring Roy's crooning, being anything like the jazz track in the film, which was a fantastic, almost Miles Davis-esque instrumental jazz piece. I don't have the 7" so I don't know. Am I right?
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

I think there was discussion here on this when the boot came out. Along the lines that the song is in the film but the version in the film is better than the record. (I could have misremembered that).

I tried to tape the film on Saturday but I'm still having problems with my pony freeview box.
    Endless Tripe

Comment

apparently the reissue wasn't official because Roy's widow doesn't want it to be released...
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Did she slap this ban onto all of his releases...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 13 2004,12:14)]So did anyone else see Dr Terror's House Of Horrors on the box on Saturday? It's pretty hilarious viewing, as I tend to find most Hammer films.. but I was bowled over by the superb jazz theme played by Roy Castle with the Tubby Hayes Quintet, in the story featuring the young passive-smoking, record-breaking trumpeter.

Now I know there's a rare 7" from the film, which was 're-issued' recently, which has a track from the film called 'Voodoo Girl', and a spoof on the theme which doesn't actually feature in it.

I didn't remember 'Voodoo Girl', which I seem to remember being some exotica type joint featuring Roy's crooning, being anything like the jazz track in the film, which was a fantastic, almost Miles Davis-esque instrumental jazz piece. I don't have the 7" so I don't know. Am I right?
          Top film - had to watch this all the way through - classic Hammer stuff....Roy Castles attempt at a "West Indian Accent" was hilariously bad - he sounded like that bloke who played an Indian in Aint Half Hot Mum...

(So, It's bleeding West Indian aint it???)

Yeh, that Castle/Tubby Hayes track was ace in the film - kinda reminiscent of some of the later Brit Jazz stuff like Harold McNairs "The Hipster" or John Cameron's "Troublemaker".

I too thought the 45 that came out was a bit naff when I had a quick listen - I'm sure it wasn't the same as the film. If it was then I need to re-visit that and pick one up, it sounded ace in the film.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 13 2004,12:42)]apparently the reissue wasn't official because Roy's widow doesn't want it to be released...
            it's a bootleg done by the same peole who've just pressed about 20 classic UK freakbeat/psych singles. I was disappointed when I realised it wasn't the Tubby Hayes track from the film - but glad I never found an original 45 and paid silly money for it (I looked for years in every Roy Castle section in every record shop in the country, I think&#33
            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Sep. 13 2004,12:58)]Castles  attempt at a "West Indian Accent" was hilariously bad - he sounded like that bloke who played an Indian in Aint Half Hot Mum...

(So, It's bleeding West Indian aint it???)

Yeh, that Castle/Tubby Hayes track was ace in the film - kinda reminiscent of some of the later Brit Jazz stuff like Harold McNairs "The Hipster" or John Cameron's "Troublemaker".
              Hahaha.. absolutely! That was a particularly appalling moment.

I was guessing that was Mr McNair on the flute? Loads of buzzing and mad noises, 1965.. could it be anyone else?

Brilliant tune.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 13 2004,13:24)]Hahaha.. absolutely! That was a particularly appalling moment.

I was guessing that was Mr McNair on the flute? Loads of buzzing and mad noises, 1965.. could it be anyone else?

Brilliant tune.
                ...was it not the Tubbster himself on the voodoo flute and sax ?

God, yeh - imagine paying big bucks and it not being that track anyway... that'd be a big

John - on the reissue - are these the same guys that have just done the Herbie Goins - Cruisin, and other hard to get 60s Brit releases...

Comment

yeah that's the badgers -
                  I picked up a load (partly to replace tracks I used to have and foolishly sold):
                  Double Feature/Mickey Finn/Syndicats/Fleur de Lys/Voice/Answers/Caleb/One in a Million/Paper Blitz Tissue/
                  Pandamonium and some others

Quality's good (apart from the printing on a couple of the labels with silver print), they can't be mistaken for the originals, and for just over a fiver each, they're worth it even if I do look like a DJ Shadow wannabe...

there's another batch coming:

The Game - Its Shocking What They Call Me/Help Me Mummys Gone
                  Longboatmen - Only In Her Home Town/Take Her Any Time
                  Mike Stuart Span - Children Of Tomorrow/Concerto Of Thoughts
                  Craig - I Must Be Mad/Suspense
                  Him And The Others - She's Got Eyes That Tell Lies/I Mean It
                  Winston's Fumbs - Snow White/Real Crazy Apartment
                  The Hush - Elephant Rider/Grey
                  Penny Peeps - Model Village/Little Man With A Stick
                  Miller - The Girl With The Castle/Baby I Got News For You

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 13 2004,14:32)]...they're worth it even if I do look like a DJ Shadow wannabe...
                    !!!

Who's best at having these in stock in UK. I've seen them on Euro sites but they often work out a few quid more each....

Ta fella!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Sep. 13 2004,13:47)]...was it not the Tubbster himself on the voodoo flute and sax ?
                      Oops! Of course, it was Tubbs! What an eejit!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 13 2004,14:32)]there's another batch coming:

The Game - Its Shocking What They Call Me/Help Me Mummys Gone
                        Longboatmen - Only In Her Home Town/Take Her Any Time
                        Mike Stuart Span - Children Of Tomorrow/Concerto Of Thoughts
                        Craig - I Must Be Mad/Suspense
                        Him And The Others - She's Got Eyes That Tell Lies/I Mean It
                        Winston's Fumbs - Snow White/Real Crazy Apartment
                        The Hush - Elephant Rider/Grey
                        Penny Peeps - Model Village/Little Man With A Stick
                        Miller - The Girl With The Castle/Baby I Got News For You
                        Those ones have been out a while now

The current newbies are:
                        Bo St Runners - And I Just Do/Tell Me What
                        Miki Dallon - Cheat & Lie/Gonna Find A Cave
                        Sons Of Fred - Baby What Do You Want/You Told Me
                        Magic Lanterns - I Stumbled/Rumplestiltskin
                        VIPs - She's No Good - Don't Keep Shouting
                        Betterdays - Here Tis/Don't Want That
                        Mickey Finn - Sporting Life/Night Comes Down
                        Australian Playboys - Sad/Black Sheep RIP
                        Eyes - My Degeneration/Immediate Pleasure

I wonder who is putting out all these illegal bootlegs. Surely not a dodgy c-list celebrity rockabilly collector????
                        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Sep. 13 2004,14:48)]Who&#39;s best at having these in stock in UK.  I&#39;ve seen them on Euro sites but they often work out a few quid more each....

Ta fella&#33;
                            Mick at System Records in Bradford (system-records.co.uk) seems to have them all - that&#39;s my recommendation&#33; Tell him I sent you&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 13 2004,18:19)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Sep. 13 2004,14:48)]Who&#39;s best at having these in stock in UK.  I&#39;ve seen them on Euro sites but they often work out a few quid more each....

Ta fella&#33;
                              Mick at System Records in Bradford (system-records.co.uk) seems to have them all - that&#39;s my recommendation&#33; Tell him I sent you&#33;
                              If anyone needs any specific ones I can get them for £3.80 each. Some of the better ones like Winston Fumbs + some of the more commonly known one like The Carnaby are sold out at source now.

btw, they&#39;ve been hawked around as a ltd 500 press. They were actually pressed up in runs of 1000 .

Comment

Working...
                              X