Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kraftwerk autobahn

picked up some good stuff in the local charity shop today:

top of the pops vol 45 (autobahn, anyone else heard this one?)
    top of the pops vol 55 (play that funky music)
    herb alpert - rise
    symphony of soul hits (at last i have the happy monster music)
    tim weisberg - 4 (funky prog jazz, anyone know much about him)
    the sound - jeopardy (liverpool neo psych)
    living stereo - v/a (alan tew georgy girl)

other stuff i've picked up recently

herbie flowers - a little potty
    kings singers - keep on changing (awesome version of life on mars, anyone else heard this?)
    denis king - all in love is fair (brother soul) seen on recordkingz website for £25, not worth it for a one tracker
    cy payne - swinging childrens party (couple of great fuzz guitar openers)
    johhny howard band - dance craze (dance the kung fu & the bump)
    tony back - hammond hits back (freaked out version of working in the coalmine, anyone else had the pleasure of hearing this?)
    fluegel knights - a sign of the times (memories are made of this)
    roberto delgado - a'la carte (pata-pata)

any info on the fluegels knights and tim weisberg would be appreciated i.e other good albums etc.

I want to go to the land of ooog!

Tim Weisberg, I beleive is a flute player, most of his albums are from the late 70's early 80's. I know there are a few good ones out there but I have yet to come across them. I may be wrong but I believe that the beatnuts once flipped a tim weisberg tune for one of their songs

Comment

The Fluegel Knights did at least one other album to my knowledge - 'Just One Of Those Songs Mrs Robinson'. If you like 'Sign Of The Times', you'll probably like that one too!

Bruce Baxter, the arranger/producer of the Top Of The Pops LPs once said the version of 'Autobahn' was very difficult to do - it took him an entire day of playing with an ARP2600, then getting Tony Rivers in to overdub the vocals.

Comment

thanks for the info funky guzzo & lord thames

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 13 May 2003,21:14)]Bruce Baxter, the arranger/producer of the Top Of The Pops LPs once said the version of 'Autobahn' was very difficult to do - it took him an entire day of playing with an ARP2600, then getting Tony Rivers in to overdub the vocals.
          I may be mistaking, but I'm sure I've got a version of Autobahn on one of those Hot Hits things. The same record has a version of Loving You with a synth doing the aaaahhhh bit....
          Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]kings singers - keep on changing (awesome version of life on mars, anyone else heard this?)
            I made a compilation CD of some of my favourite easy covers recently on that version of 'Life On Mars' ended up on it. They do a great version of 'Space Oddity' too on their 'Tempus Fugit' LP.

BTW If anyone wants a copy of my easy comp then fire an email in my direction.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Brother Logic @ 14 May 2003,08:17)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 13 May 2003,21:14)]Bruce Baxter, the arranger/producer of the Top Of The Pops LPs once said the version of 'Autobahn' was very difficult to do - it took him an entire day of playing with an ARP2600, then getting Tony Rivers in to overdub the vocals.
              I may be mistaking, but I'm sure I've got a version of Autobahn on one of those Hot Hits things. The same record has a version of Loving You with a synth doing the aaaahhhh bit....
              Yes, I think that's the 'Parade Of Pops' version on Windmill - 'Loving You' is an ingenious example of 'Oh my gawd, the singer can't do the high bit, what are we going to do? - oh I know!'
              For something similar, check the TOTP version of 'Rock Your Baby', which has a bloke singing all the lyrics, except for the falsetto ("....and let the lovin' staaaa-aart&quot, where a woman takes over. It's quite cleverly done!

Comment

Isn't there a Sex Pistols cover on one of the TOTP albums? Someone mentioned it on some TV show I saw years ago and I've been searching ever since to no avail. Autobahn is definitely one to look out for too.

Comment

I'll second the thumbs up on the King's Singers Life On Mars. Their version of Horse With No Name edges it for top place in their canon in my book though.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

There's a cover of 'Pretty Vacant' on a TOTP LP - can't remember offhand which one, but there's a picture of it somewhere on VV. Tony Rivers, who did the vocal on that one said he did it like Norman Wisdom.

The story goes Tony was in the studio listening to the playback of 'Pretty Vacant' when Paul McCartney came in and said 'Sounds good, can I have a listen?'. He then went away and brought back Chris Thomas, the Sex Pistols producer, and all three were killing themselves laughing!

The Kings Singers' 'A Horse With No Name' is probably my favourite cover of theirs - the string arrangement is really nice too.

Comment

loving you is also on my totp's vol 45 brother logic, can't work out if the high notes are a synth or her vocals, if you want a copy of the totp's lp with pretty vacant on it blighty, i know a charity shop that's got it, i've been putting off getting it because it was a quid, but if you want it i'll get it for you for a suitable trade (maybe a copy of your easy covers cd?)

Comment

Ooh yes please.

Comment

ok blighty i'll pick it up tomorrow, then i'll email you for your address.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Blighty @ 14 May 2003,10:03)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]kings singers - keep on changing (awesome version of life on mars, anyone else heard this?)
                            I made a compilation CD of some of my favourite easy covers recently on that version of 'Life On Mars' ended up on it. They do a great version of 'Space Oddity' too on their 'Tempus Fugit' LP.

BTW If anyone wants a copy of my easy comp then fire an email in my direction.
                            Yes, please
                            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

No worries guys. Y'all get my 'War Is Not The Answer' CD too.

Comment

Working...
                              X