Decent dig in dorset!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent dig in dorset!

lovely day for it, so my mate and I headed off to Dorset following a tip-off from a board lurker (thanks Richard&#33...
    spent 5 hours in the upstairs of a bookshop, basically tunnelling round the room - which was definitely the most disorganised place I've ever been in. Dust, dirt, soot from the chimney, sheet music, books, cassettes, CDs, 78s, LPs and 45s all mixed up and piled about 4 or 5 feet high across about 80% of the floor space. Still, I think we looked at every LP and 45, and after a lot of checking condition and discussing the prices with the lady who was looking after the shop, we came out with a few nice bits. A classic, though - the woman behind the counter promised to give us a 'good deal' if we bought a reasonable quantity. What we finally brought out came to £205.50 when added up, so she initially offered to do the lot for £200. Nice discount, but not quite what we had in mind!

Still, for my £100, I picked up:

One book
    Paul Oliver 'The Story of the Blues' - an absolute gem, published in 1969, amazing pictures too..

4 LPs

Salena Jones 'This'n That'  - RCA
    Rain featuring Stephanie de Sykes - Bradleys
    Gillian McPherson 'Poets and Painters and Performers of Blues' RCA
    Various 'Blacks Whites and Blues' CBS great 1970 collection of 20's and 30's blues/country crossovers

and a bunch of 45s

Eden Kane 'New kind of lovin'  Decca x 2 - Northern
    Tremeloes 'Instant Whip' CBS  - Drums
    Microbe 'Groovy Baby/Your Turn Now' CBS  - Drums
    Rattles 'Witch/Geraldine' Decca  - Drums
    Melvin Bliss 'Synthetic Substitution' Contempo  - Drums
    Dave Clark 5 'Concentration Baby' Columbia
    Gary Benson 'To Kill Another Day' Birth (same label as Christine Harwood&#33
    Giant Crab 'ESP' UNI
    Pentangle 'Light Flight' Big T
    Chakachas 'Stories' Youngblood
    Steel Mill 'Green Eyed God' Penny Farthing prog/psych classic!
    Link Wray 'Shawnee Tribe' Virgin
    Shadrocks 'there Is' Jay Boy
    Famous Music Band '9 by 9' Phillips
    Medicine Head 'Pictures in the Sky' Dandelion
    Anthony Newley 'Strawberry Fair' Decca
    Vanessa Redgrave 'Where have all the flowers gone?' Topic (can see why she's an actress not a singer&#33
    Titanic 'Rain 2000' CBS
    Joan Baez 'Bachianas Brasileiras EP' Fontana
    Flirtations 'How can you tell me?' Deram
    Brain Bennett 'Chase Side Shoot-Up' Fontana
    Manfred Mann 'Ragamuffin Man' Fontana - brilliant B-side called, er, "A 'B' Side"
    Johnny Pearson Band 'Get Rich Thickstep' Lyntone - with two HP baked beans adverts on the other side
    E.T. Mensah 'Maware' Decca Ghana - Highlife
    Yamoah's Band 'Otanhunu Ye Ya' Decca Ghana - Highlife
    Ramblers Dance Band 'Knock On Wood' Decca Ghana - African version of Eddie Floyd!
    Ronnie Hawkins 'Cora Mae' Monument
    Ashantis 'Addis Abeba' EMI - Disco!
    Majestics 'Vampira' Cube

and the most amazing thing, the first record I picked up in the whole room, was something I've been seriously after (sorry Nick&#33

John Fitch and Associates 'Romantic Attitude' Beacon - and the B-side 'Stoned Out Of It' is a classic too!

which was nice.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

YOWZERS, GOOD FIND ON THE MELVIN BLISS

I GOT A GOOD ONE TODAY TOO, YOWZAH!!!!

Comment

Seems like I need to lay some more landmines.

Comment

..and there was me feeling smug for finding a copy of Frontline Orchestra "Don't Turn Your Back On Me" (Ice 12&quot yesterday lunchtime.  
        Endless Tripe

Comment

John, what's the Ashantis like? Is that the same group that did Everybody's Groove (which is ace)?

Stan, I'd still be feeling fairly smug if I'd found that.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 16 2004,00:02)]and the most amazing thing, the first record I picked up in the whole room, was something I've been seriously after (sorry Nick&#33

John Fitch and Associates 'Romantic Attitude'
            Arrgh!

whilst on the subject of Fitch: TuckinFrat, did you get my pm?
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

hi Nick

got ya pm thought i had more than 1 copy, infact had it in my sales box at b-music nite then realised it was my copy when you pmed me..had a few copies but they all flew out in the last couple of months or so!!sorry mate, ill find another though then ill hit ya up

John youre so spawny findin that 45
              www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 16 2004,00:02)]Johnny Pearson Band 'Get Rich Thickstep' Lyntone - with two HP baked beans adverts on the other side
                'Scuse me, guv, any chance of a CDr/minidisc/cassette of this one? PM me if you can - ta!

Comment

john

that book the story of the blues..is the front cover green and has it got loads of pictures and then just short anedotes from famous and pretty unknown bluesmen..coz if so i used to have it but i lent it to a mate who got murdered [over a 45]and coudnt really ask for it back...
                  www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 16 2004,00:02)]John Fitch and Associates 'Romantic Attitude' Beacon - and the B-side 'Stoned Out Of It' is a classic too!
                    That 45 smokes...have you heard "My mind" by Chubby Checker? It's taken from his "psychedelic" album from 1971, a heavy funky-psych bomb, very similar to John Fitch's "Stoned out of it"...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Sep. 16 2004,22:48)]...have you heard "My mind" by Chubby Checker? It's taken from his "psychedelic" album from 1971, a heavy funky-psych bomb...
                      Yes - I've got the Chubby Checker LP which I love, but I don't have the 45, which I think was only issued in a few European countries (Spain? Belgium? not sure..)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 16 2004,10:29)]John, what's the Ashantis like? Is that the same group that did Everybody's Groove (which is ace)?
                        hey Bill
                        don't know if it's the same group - this is from 1976, copyright Red Bus International, writing credit Roferri, produced by 'Ferri Soulfinder/CPT Records'.
                        Personally I'm not that into the a-side, seems a little generic, though it does have a nice percussion break, but the b-side, 'Let's Stay Together', is excellent - very 'Papa was a rolling stone'. In fact I'd say Norman Whitfield would have a clear-cut case in court.
                        It's got a great 'Disco Breaker' sticker on the sleeve, too...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (TuckinFrat @ Sep. 16 2004,12:35)]john

that book the story of the blues..is the front cover green and has it got loads of pictures and then just short anedotes from famous and pretty unknown bluesmen..
                          hey Chris
                          the book's a big hardback (about a4 size), written by Paul Oliver . Cover's grey, same as the double LP 'Story of the Blues' on Epic. Lots of photos, reproductions of adverts for 1930's blues singles, that sort of stuff. Text has some anecdotes, but it's more a geographical and historical survey of the blues from days of slavery to 1960's

Comment

no its not the one...it might be called something else..the one i had ..had a grim b+W photo every other page and next to it had a bluesman spitting the most heart wrenching anedote about the saturday fish fry/ leggin it from the clan/ dodgin bullets at gigs/ inventing new blues...it was a very special book and if i knew the name of it i could find it again
                            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (TuckinFrat @ Sep. 16 2004,09:48)]no its not the one...it might be called something else..the one i had ..had a grim b+W photo every other page and next to it had a bluesman spitting the most heart wrenching anedote about the saturday fish fry/ leggin it from the clan/ dodgin bullets at gigs/ inventing new blues...it was a very special book and if i knew the name of it i could find it again
                              Might well be 'Blues Fell This Morning' or (sounds more likely?) 'Conversation With The Blues', also by Paul Oliver...
                              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                              X