Sixto rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sixto rodriguez

yo does anyone know wot his 1st single on the detroit soul lable 'impact' is like, his name is spelt differently but its a theodore/coffy production and i been seeing it on soul lists for £25+..its gotta be from round 1966!!!

has it beats, or funky appeal??its got to be quite rare, i only seen white demos and them detroit soul collectors are pretty completist
    www.budgetbeats.com

theres one on ebay right now
    www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Buy It Now

Ouch! I have no idea Chris but I am very intrigued.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

its gotta be a reasonable 6ts soul tune otherwise northern dealers woudnt have it on there lists for £25 but like i say thats a very collectable soul lable...shit need to hear it!!
        www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Not everything on labels like Impact is soul. They also released local pop and rock. But you do get soul - based Detroit collectors who want everything on a given label regardless of the genre.

This one ain't a soul record. See the description that Rich poisted - it looks like some kind of folk-rock record.

I guess speculative purchase by the dealer might also explain why this ends up on soul lists.
          Endless Tripe

Comment

oh yeah theres the shit pop shades of blue LP n 45s..i seen it described on one northern list as a fast stomper!!
            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

I've got the 70's version of the A-side of this 45, 'I'll Slip Away' on the 'Rodriguez At His Best' LP (thanks Formigo&#33.

It's a really nice and mellow percussive folky number (my 2nd favourite track next to Sugar Man on that LP), but it's not really a funky one. I imagine that the version on this 45 would have a good 60s sound though, what with the Coffey production - plus you've got those ubiquitous UK session-meisters Chris Spedding and Tony Carr on there to boot!
              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 17 2004,12:07)]...what with the Coffey production - plus you've got those ubiquitous UK session-meisters Chris Spedding and Tony Carr on there to boot!
                I thought that at first but I don't think they played on the earlier recordings, just 'Coming From Reality'. At least that's how I read the quote from 'Fuzz, Acid And Flowers '.

Is 'Only Good For Conversation' on '...At His Best', Ian?
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Sep. 17 2004,12:46)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 17 2004,12:07)]...what with the Coffey production - plus you've got those ubiquitous UK session-meisters Chris Spedding and Tony Carr on there to boot!
                  I thought that at first but I don't think they played on the earlier recordings, just 'Coming From Reality'. At least that's how I read the quote from 'Fuzz, Acid And Flowers '.

Is 'Only Good For Conversation' on '...At His Best', Ian?
                  Oh yeah. Ahem.. a case of too much information on that there listing methinks..

That track rings a bell so it might be, but at work so I'll have to look tonight.
                  Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

THAT RECORD JUS WENT FOR $60 ON EBAY BOUGHT BY A SOULIE by the look of his history
                    www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Working...
                    X