Llandudno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Llandudno

Been doing a lot of lurking and not enough posting of late in this parish, so can I just take a moment to nominate Llandudno as the most disappointing spot for record buying that I've ever been to?

Me and Mrs Tommo did a drive round Wales recently and Llandudno, while it's chock full of charity shops for its blue-rinse population, yielded just one rack of vinyl - and most of that was of the 'Now That's What I Call Music' variety.

Any other nominees for crushing disappointments like this?

PS London-dwellers are not allowed to nominate London!
    The Pop Music Library

I "do" Landudno on a fairly regular basis which might explain why you didn't find much. I've found quite a bit of stuff there over the course of my visits. You need to go to the charities on the outskirts - most of them have records. The ones in the centre of town are disappointing.

Sorry.

PS London's always been good to me too.
    Endless Tripe

Comment

Rhyl was great last time I went! Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince LP, however this was 12 years ago maybe even longer.

Blackburn & Burnley = both dry as the proverbial bone!
      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Sep. 16 2004,13:13)]I "do" Landudno on a fairly regular basis which might explain why you didn't find much. I've found quite a bit of stuff there over the course of my visits. You need to go to the charities on the outskirts - most of them have records.
        Ah-ha! That explains it. I think I might have had trouble persuading the missus that we should be devoting more of our holiday time to the outskirts of Llandudno. . .
        The Pop Music Library

Comment

yeah i hit n wales a while ago it was shit didnt find nuttin..day wasted

i know treva wateva got 100s of kpms outta a welsh shop once, i think it was a book shop too, bastard
          www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

i remember in usa once travellin all day to a shop somewere the guy said he had 1000s of 45s ..for 3 hours i didnt even see a white face, got of the bus and some crack head started hustlin me for cash and when i got to the shop they were all shitty old gold style reissues..on the way bak to the bus stop i seen a house that had tons of vinyl in his yard, he was like a private junk shop, when i seen this the thought of gettin mugged was the last thing in my mind ,but the bastard was closed n i never got my stickies on nuttin
            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

So then, where have you had the best score in a non-record shop then ? No charity shops, but shops who sell entirely other items.

For me, good scores from both a 2nd Hand Tool Shop and a TV repair place.
              Matt Hero

Comment

A mate of mine found a rare US 45 in a horsebox once.

(Admittedly the horsebox was at a car boot, but its a good tale)
                Endless Tripe

Comment

I recently did Llandudno and I can't complain. Picked up a nice copy of an LP called July by July which minty goes for £300. And it was 30p.

Lee

Comment

Got a 'Voodoo Party' from a furniture shop once.
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Sep. 16 2004,16:32)]Weird, I picked up a whole shoe-box of Northern 45s from a TV repair shop in Lowestoft a few years ago!
                      col - that is some tale. it wasn't that one on london road south was it?

Comment

There is a house clearence/furniture shop in hanwell that had some nice polish stuff recently, found an album by irena jarocka with a wicked drum break on.
                        Andy recently heard of some one finding £10,000 worth of british jazz stuff at the same place a couple of years back, it was being sold with some hifi gear... gutted i missed that
                        As for the worst place to dig; I was in Greenford yesterday and thought I had found a gold mine, downstairs in this real grimey charity shop there were at least 15 big crates of vinyl, I was sure there must be some thing good there....
                        turned out to be the biggest pile of crap I've ever dug through in my life, so much of the usual charity fodder, took me over an hour to check every thing.
                        I know you meant town, not a specific shop but had to get that off my chest!
                        www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

I used to regularly buy disco 12s from a tramp who sold records and other rubbish out of a supermarket shopping trolley on Avenue B in Alphabet City. He was conveniently located midway between Save The Robots, where I used to DJ, and home. Found many good 'uns including You Dazzle Me by Dazzle in mint condition (this won't mean much to anyone but Stan and Hadrian).
                          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I picked up a whole load of strange spoken word stuff once from a double-glazing shop on the outskirts of Leeds.
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I used to get some really smart records out of the nursing home my mum worked at...
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X