pick of the bunch
    the carstairs..it really hurts me girl..red coach
    £100 7ts soul i think these days vg copy plays great

malcom b holcolm..kick out ins..diamnond jim 45

i guess this makes it worth while,
    ray bryant..up above the rock..cadet 45

+5 shit records i bought blind
    www.budgetbeats.com

There was a record show in my area today, and it started out dismally slow, but then a dealer set up after the show opened with boxes of soul 45s for $5 each. I seemed to get there before anyone else. These finds made it an allright day.

Ray Frazier & the Shades of Madness - Gonna Get Your Love (Chess)
    Jesus, this is brilliant.

Stretch - Why Did You Do It (Anchor)
    Silly tune, nice beat.

The Al Capps Band - Sissy Strutt (Columbia)
    I really dig this version. Nice.

Young Holt Unlimited - Hot Pants (Cotillion)

Thelma Jones - Mr. Fixit (Barry)

Mongo Santamaria - Hippo Walk (Atlantic)

Ben Collier BBSS - Walk Proud (Atlantic)
    Very, very nice.

Bobby Powell - Peace Begins Within (Whit)
    Heard this one from a funk 45 forum CD swap. Class.

Tommy Bass - This Is My Thing (Soulful)
    OK, bought this one from another dealer and spent $$ on it, but it nice to finally get this off the want list. Love this tune.
    http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (djr @ Sep. 19 2004,20:30)]Stretch - Why Did You Do It (Anchor)
      Silly tune, nice beat.
      Are you off your little rocker, sir? Silly tune! What sacrilege. Nobody slags off Why Did Ya Do It without getting a coating from me. It's great and I won't hear a word said against it. The 80s re-edit was even better mind, and the Margaret Singana version almost rivals it, but the OG is ace.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

The vocals are so dry.

I agree it is ace.

I got an offer for it from another collector right after I bought it.

Comment

I love the vocals. What's the deal with 'Why Did You Do It'? Who were Stretch? Did they make any other records? I just got a copy recently off a very nice man called Ian. I don't know much about it though other than it's on the 'Lock Stock' soundtrack and it was big in the Eighties. Oh and the Happy Monday's nicked a bit of it. Any info gratefully received.  

1-2....

Comment

Just came back forma local record swap whereI sold, bought and traded records for waaaay too long.

my come-ups:
            Lowell Fulsom "The Ol' Blue Singer" (Granite) - Los Angeles based small press blues funk LP from '76

Steve Davis "Music" (RCA) - beautiful soul jazz album wit ha couple songs sung in french for some reason

Vast Majority "Move It" (D&M) - I Think D&M was Leo Mullers thing here in the US, please ocrrect me if I'm wrong. Anyways good late 70's disco funk album.

Rustix "Bedlam" (Rare Earth) - funky rock LP

Henry Jackson Company "Just Being Alive" (Myrrh) - sealed copy of a gospel LP. I don't know what this one sounds like yet, but he has some other stuff on the Stax subsidiary "truth" thats pretty nice.

Kung Fu OST (Warner Brothers) Music & Dialogue from the David Carradine TV show

Stu Gardner & the Sanctified Sound" (Volt)

Ebonys "S/T" (Philadelphia Int'l) - sweet soul LP that I havent given a full listen to yet, but seems promising

Stevie Wonder "Songs in the Key of Life" (Tamla) - Picked one up after realizing I didn't have a copy

Franck Pourcel "Plays Midnight Cowboy" (Paramount)

Rare Earth "Answers" (Verve) first album by this group...surprisingly funky

Georges Garvarentz "Killer Force OST" (Audio Fidelity) - whitesploitation looking film score. 2 nice tunes

12"s

Patrick Adams "Michael Medley" (Mirage) Black Ivory dude covres the king of pop circa 1984

Nona Hendrix "Transformation" (RCA)

and some other stuff I am too tired to report.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Sep. 20 2004,00:25)]I love the vocals. What's the deal with 'Why Did You Do It'? Who were Stretch? Did they make any other records? I just got a copy recently off a very nice man called Ian. I don't know much about it though other than it's on the 'Lock Stock' soundtrack and it was big in the Eighties. Oh and the Happy Monday's nicked a bit of it. Any info gratefully received.  

1-2....
              I'd like to know more about this tune as well. The 45 I found today says "(From the LP "Elastique&quot under the song title.

The dude who offered to buy it asked if it was released on a soundtrack, so I guess he was right. I had heard on a comp cassette I got with a mod zine years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Sep. 20 2004,01:01)]Steve Davis "Music" (RCA) - beautiful soul jazz album wit ha couple songs sung in french for some reason
                it's only one track in french "la lune" wich is a great track..
                I realy like that lp ..
                g clinton on vibes

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (pokester @ Sep. 20 2004,07:26)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Sep. 20 2004,01:01)]Steve Davis "Music" (RCA) - beautiful soul jazz album wit ha couple songs sung in french for some reason
                  it's only one track in french "la lune" wich is a great track..
                  I realy like that lp ..
                  g clinton on vibes
                  we got 2 different view points on this then. I thnk outside of that one strangely out of place country sounding track at the end of the first side the entire album is a very solid listen. I do agree thgouh that Lalune Blanche is one hell of a song. I was wondering about that George Clinton credit. Seemed strange that he would serve as the vibe player on an RCA album. but right now I don't care so much about who played as much as the actual music; just as I started typing this sentence the opening to lalune came in and I am happy.

Comment

There's a Gang Starr sample on that Steve Davis album. Just to add to the excitement.

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Franck Pourcel "Plays Midnight Cowboy" (Paramount)
                    Is this Frank covering the entire album?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Sep. 20 2004,08:38)]There's a Gang Starr sample on that Steve Davis album. Just to add to the excitement.

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Franck Pourcel "Plays Midnight Cowboy" (Paramount)
                      Is this Frank covering the entire album?
                      no, he only does the theme song. I havent had a chance to give the album a really good listen yet, but I am hoping that his cover os Serge Gainsbourgs "je T'aime Moi non Plus" is moody in a nice way. I also though it funny that there was a track on here called "Hey-ya"which reminds me of the Outkast hit of last year

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (djr @ Sep. 20 2004,01:49)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Sep. 20 2004,00:25)]I love the vocals. What's the deal with 'Why Did You Do It'? Who were Stretch? Did they make any other records? I just got a copy recently off a very nice man called Ian. I don't know much about it though other than it's on the 'Lock Stock' soundtrack and it was big in the Eighties. Oh and the Happy Monday's nicked a bit of it. Any info gratefully received.  

1-2....
                        I'd like to know more about this tune as well. The 45 I found today says "(From the LP "Elastique&quot under the song title.

The dude who offered to buy it asked if it was released on a soundtrack, so I guess he was right. I had heard on a comp cassette I got with a mod zine years ago.
                        They were one hit wonders. It was actually a hit in 1975, although it got played as a rare groove tune in the mid to late 80s. Everything else they did bore little resemblance to this, though Elastique was produced by Martin Rushent. I remember seeing them on TOTP and they looked like nothing like you'd imagine (white and unfunky). They grew out of a band called Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera, who did a few LPs in the 60s. Elmer (the lead singer) did vocals on an Alan Parsons Project track later on, but I can't remember which one.
                        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Cheers Mr B. The B-side (horribly scratched on my copy) suggested a rock band who got funky. I was hoping they got funk more than once.

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]no, he only does the theme song. I havent had a chance to give the album a really good listen yet, but I am hoping that his cover os Serge Gainsbourgs "je T'aime Moi non Plus" is moody in a nice way. I also though it funny that there was a track on here called "Hey-ya"which reminds me of the Outkast hit of last
                          Damn. Frank doing Elephants Memory was just too much too hope for. Creates a horrible mental image though.

Comment

Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera? Those psych musicians ended up in some strange bands down the line (actually, they were in some strange bands to begin with....).

Comment

Working...
                            X