Artists you were wrong about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artists you were wrong about

i always tended to avoid Grover Washington LPs since the 'smooth jazz' factor on the first few albums i heard by him was too high. he seemed to be holding back in his sax playing, getting into Kenny G territory too often, so i neglected his output and only picked up the Knucklehead track.

last week, nattering to top bloke Harv from Honest Jon's, we got talking about Grover and then Harv puts on 'Live At The Bijou' and i realise how wrong you can get (thanks chap&#33

it's pure, raw, gritty, in-the-pocket funk and has been on non-stop rotation ever since. maybe it's because it's a live gig on home turf, who knows, but just something about the circumstances meant he sounds so much better, so much more passionate, so much dirtier than on any of the other (studio) records i've heard by him.

is there anyone that you've slept on for years, or been prejudiced against because of a bad experience with a crap record by them? (discounting 90% of Stevie Wonder's 80s output here...)

while we're at it, that Live At The Bijou LP is probably another good example of an easy-to-find killer album that gets overlooked in the ebay-spawned 'gotta be obscure' red mist...
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

I've only just picked up "only in it for the money" by Mothers of invention (having only heard "weasels ripped my flesh" by them previously, which was a bit too out there for my uninitiated ear at the time). Slept on the mothers for too long. What else is good?? need to catch up (have hot rats and chungas revenge)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 20 2004,14:22)]last week, nattering to top bloke Harv from Honest Jon's, we got talking about Grover and then Harv puts on 'Live At The Bijou' and i realise how wrong you can get (thanks chap&#33
      I just saw this one in a charity but left it as it was £2.99!
      I'm going back to check if its still there tomorrow.

Some of the other tracks on Feels So Good are cool as well as knucklehead actually, been spinning that album quite a bit, love the sound of the drums on Hydra.
      www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Hi Greenman, is that the Oxfam in Ealing?? If it is? Noticed that one.

Grover Washington has done a few nice bits though.Sadly they are mixed with the Kenny G style sax on the other tracks.

Mister Magic is still Lovely though, as is Lorans Dance on the Reed Seed lp. I think it's a tribe sample. Nice moody stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Hooded Claw @ Sep. 20 2004,15:13)]I've only just picked up "only in it for the money" by Mothers of invention (having only heard "weasels ripped my flesh" by them previously, which was a bit too out there for my uninitiated ear at the time). Slept on the mothers for too long. What else is good?? need to catch up (have hot rats and chungas revenge)
          [QUOTE]

I would recommend his 1st LP Freak Out, also his 2nd (I think) Absolutely Free. This is the period I prefer anyway.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Ms Bush. I'll say no more.
            Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (gizzard @ Sep. 20 2004,17:01)]Hi Greenman, is that the Oxfam in Ealing?? If it is? Noticed that one.
              That's the one, the one on the Broadway, (don't go near the Oxfam music anymore) been turning up some nice stuff here, who ever prices their records doesn't seem to have a clue (luckily). Picked up some nice soundtracks includin Planet Of The Apes for a few quid and they have got Abba albums in the window of the shop for too much!
              www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (Campag Record @ Sep. 20 2004,20:23)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Hooded Claw @ Sep. 20 2004,15:13)]I've only just picked up "only in it for the money" by Mothers of invention (having only heard "weasels ripped my flesh" by them previously, which was a bit too out there for my uninitiated ear at the time). Slept on the mothers for too long. What else is good?? need to catch up (have hot rats and chungas revenge)

I would recommend his 1st LP Freak Out, also his 2nd (I think) Absolutely Free. This is the period I prefer anyway.
                Cheers Campag

Comment

Blimey, been so wrong about so much over the years it isn't true (in both directions, too - liking stuff on first listen that wore thin fast, as well as avoiding things because of being put off by exposure to the wrong gear).

Fairport Convention are a classic example: went out with a girl who was really into her folk, but only ever played the 80s Fairport stuff, which meant it was about 15 years before I actually heard 'Leige & Leif', 'Unhalfbricking' etc. Same with Richard Thompson: heard the 80s/early 90s stuff, and so assumed there was nothing in his back catalogue either...

Can add plenty of current favourites to the list, from Etta James (couldn't see what the fuss was about after buying one of her 'comeback' LPs on the strength of an ecstatic review) to Serge Gainsbourg (had the misfortune, back in 1985, to judge him by 'Rock Around The Bunker', 'Armes Et Cetera' and 'Lemon Incest', thus delaying exposure to 'Melody Nelson', 'Initials BB' etc by another six years).

I'm sure there are plenty I don't bother with now that I'll kick myself just as hard for missing in another 6 years' time, too...
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (green man @ Sep. 20 2004,21:45)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (gizzard @ Sep. 20 2004,17:01)]Hi Greenman, is that the Oxfam in Ealing?? If it is? Noticed that one.
                    That's the one, the one on the Broadway, (don't go near the Oxfam music anymore) been turning up some nice stuff here, who ever prices their records doesn't seem to have a clue (luckily). Picked up some nice soundtracks includin Planet Of The Apes for a few quid and they have got Abba albums in the window of the shop for too much!
                    Yep, I picked up a few nice bits in there a couple of weeks ago. Managed to bag two nice French OST's along with Paul Mccartneys - The Family Way, Laurie Johnson - Avengers, New Avengers & Proffesionals and a few other bits. You're dead right about the Oxfam Music Shop as well.....utter crap since it moved from the original site.

Comment

I overlooked a lot of stuff by Patrice Rushen for a long time due to my only knowledge of her stuff being the overplayed 'Forget Me Knots', but I have to say her LP's (especially pre mid 80's) are well worth checking out... nice funk / jazz / boogie.
                      Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 20 2004,14:22)]last week, nattering to top bloke Harv from Honest Jon's, we got talking about Grover and then Harv puts on 'Live At The Bijou' and i realise how wrong you can get (thanks chap&#33
                        My problem is this is the first Grover Washington Jr album I got - partially 'cos it had been sampled on the Ballistic Brothers Vs. The Eccentric Afros - and its been pretty much downhill since. Even his late 70's/80's albums with the hits tend to have some halfway decent bits but plenty of schmaltz liek Just The Two Of Us.

As for the Zappa/Mothers question if you like the freak pisstaking of Only In It For The Money your next stop should be Freak Out and then Absolutely Free. If you like the more instrumentally orientated jazz/rock freak-outs then The Grand Wazoo and Burnt Weeny Sandwich are the best ones for my money. And having gone on a zappa bender about 5 years ago be prepared to have no money and to annoy all your friends. That Onion article "Zappa Fan Thinks You Just Haven't Heard Right Album Yet" is totally on the money.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (gizzard @ Sep. 21 2004,09:45)]Paul Mccartneys - The Family Way
                          if that's a UK original then you've got yourself a very sought-after and expensive record - nice one! it's pretty groovy too...
                          http://www.blaxploitation.com
                          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 21 2004,17:24)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (gizzard @ Sep. 21 2004,09:45)]Paul Mccartneys - The Family Way
                            if that's a UK original then you've got yourself a very sought-after and expensive record - nice one! it's pretty groovy too...
                            Sadly it's an Aussie copy. Absolutely mint though. Had a quick search on ebay and it seems that most that go up for sale are Australian. strange.

It is indeed pretty groovy though.

Comment

Working...
                            X