Put your hand in the...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put your hand in the...

After finding yet another version of PYHITH (as I believe the "crate-diggers" like to call it) with a monster drum break, I wondered who actually did the original of this. It's bizarre that SO many of the covers decided to keep the break.

Please excuse my ignorance...
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

I think Ocean did the original.

I agree, in fact it comes as a shock when there is no break - hows about a list of versions then? I'll get the ball rolling:

Ocean
    Ray Conniff
    James Last
    Brass Impact
    Vera Lynn
    Ann Murray
    Lynn Anderson
    That MFP gospel one (name escapes me)

....next!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Chico Arnez
      Lightnin' Red
      Ann Shelton did a version on 'The Benny Hill Show', with Ronnie Aldrich conducting the band!

Comment

brief trawl through the shelves:

Ferrante & Teicher
        Klaus Wunderlich
        New Freedom Singers
        The Power & The Glory
        Nigel Brooks Singers
        Liberace
        Dan Hill

...I've got a few good records too....honest
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

How about a list of versions *without* a break ? I'll have dig tommorow, but I'm about 70 / 30 in favour of the breakless I think.
          Matt Hero

Comment

Jeanne St Anne & The New Christians (break - albeit a tad on the weedy side - included)

This LP also confirms LDJB's credit of the source to Ocean, with a note calling it "a smash hit by Ocean [that] sparked a new movement in Street Christianity" no less.

In fact, if anyone wants this (to complete a PYHITH collection or something) let me know: it's a rubbish LP and it's doing nothing round here...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 14 May 2003,22:55)]How about a list of versions *without* a break ? I'll have dig tommorow, but I'm about 70 / 30 in favour of the breakless I think.
              The Mike Curb Congregation version lacks the break. I know of more but this is all I can remember right now.

Can anyone name any versions that you'd ACTUALLY LISTEN TO? I hate this song, break or nay.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ 15 May 2003,01:05)]This LP also confirms LDJB's credit of the source to Ocean, with a note calling it "a smash hit by Ocean [that] sparked a new movement in Street Christianity" no less.
                I know it's nitpicking where the nit should not be picked, but I though Ann Murray did the original version but Ocean had a hit with it or somesuch. Anyway my vote for the worst version of all time goes to George Hamilton IV - words cannot express how poor it is...
                Errr..Hambone?

Comment

A version on the Gospel Truth label by;

Rance Allen Group

Comment

elvis presley - version with a break

andre kostelanetz --version with no break (well,nearly no break?&#33

Comment

the Kaempfert version is really rather good too...

Comment

The Donny Hathaway is breakless - boo!

Still searching for the Joan Baez, and I think there's an Elvis tribute that also includes the break (but I feel that I may be regurgitating stuff I read on here a few days ago now?).
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

The Chico Arnez version lacks a break too, despite being on a break-ridden album (and the only easy album I've come across with a version of Soul Finger on it. Nice one Chico)
                          It ain't shakey

Comment

Come to think of it, either the New Freedom Singers or The Power And The Glory do the same - neglect to include a break on PYHITH but include a break with a very similar pattern on Jesus instead...
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Elvis does do a version of PYHITH, it's on his Elvis Now LP.

Also, did anyone mention the Impact Of Brass version? Doesn't have a drum break though.

There's also Ramsey Lewis, can't remember whether it has drums or not.

New Heavenly Blue, don't think there's a break.
                              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Working...
                              X