Listenings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listenings?

In an effort to preserve the status & listenability of my soul 45s to my ears (very relevant considering the amount of money i spend on the fuckers), i've been trying to listen to other types of music, such as can, nick drake, nick cave, tom waits, parkers barton 'a rainy day', 13th floor elevators, mcneil & niles 'thrust', byard lancaster, japanese jazz on three blind mice label, pernice brothers, new tortoise, the first song on medula has a great short edit, and a friend made me an untitled cd of new indie stuff from labels like domino and rough trade and others i've never heard of. all over the shop stuffÂ…

what have you been listening to?
    High on my own supply.

80's boogie and modern soul!

Here's my favourites at the moment:

Michael Wycoff -Looking up to you
    Gene Dunlap -It's just the way I feel
    Live Band -A chance for hope

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (cal @ Sep. 20 2004,15:20)]parkers barton 'a rainy day'
      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

The Earlies 'These were the Earlies' which is one of the best albums I've heard for ages - sublime epic chilled folktronicky type stuff but much better than that sounds

and in a similar kind of mood:

Gravenhurst new mini-lp on Warp
        Micah P Hinson LP
        Joanna Newsom LP (Barking&#33
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

That John Uzonyi's Peacepipe CD is blowing my mind quite handily at the moment:

Cosign on Can & Nick Cave.

Also checking David Candy (very 60s soundtrackish stuff from Ian of The Make Up), Colin Blunstone ONE YEAR LP, Peter King SHANGO CD, the new DJ APS bhangra CD RETURN OF THE KING and yes I must admit... the last three Lenny Kravitz albums(&#33
          "No my brother. You got to get your own."

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ Sep. 20 2004,15:50)]80's boogie and modern soul!

Here's my favourites at the moment:

Michael Wycoff -Looking up to you
            Gene Dunlap -It's just the way I feel
            Live Band -A chance for hope
            gene dunlop is ace theres another tune by him thats jus as mellow and good called before you break my heart
            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

That Joanna Newsom LP is amazing. John. Check out 'white magic' also on drag city. Its folky/prog madness too.
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I really like the Kasabian LP - I know they&#39;re pretty hyped at the moment but their take on 2nd album Stone Roses, Spiritualized + a bit of electronic funkiness is really floating my boat
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 20 2004,18:06)]That Joanna Newsom LP is amazing. John. Check out &#39;white magic&#39; also on drag city. Its folky/prog madness too.
                  overheard a couple of Resonance FM people on the tube on the way back from Bestival talking about that album, but couldn&#39;t find it - was trying to guess the spelling&#33;

so cheers guys, VV to the rescue again

Comment

How was bestival? I heard it was very quiet. And there was some toboggan run?
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

ah, not making myself clear. i was coming back from work on monday and eavesdropping on their conversation. they didn&#39;t talk about the festival at all, so no idea. don&#39;t know anyone who went either...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (SolidSoundSystem @ Sep. 19 2004,18:01)]That John Uzonyi&#39;s Peacepipe CD is blowing my mind quite handily at the moment:

and yes I must admit... the last three Lenny Kravitz albums(&#33  
                        &#39;Sea Of Nightmares&#39; on that Cd is amazing stuff&#33; And the lady of the house remains one of Lenny&#39;s staunchest supporters (and possibly Jamiroquai&#39;s only remaining fan) so you&#39;re not alone there... As for me, current favourite s(p)ins include:

Holly Golightly: Singles Round Up &amp; Serial Girlfriend (both on Damaged Goods - her last one, &#39;Truly She Is None Other&#39; is ace as well...)
                        April March: Chrominance Decoder (Ideal) [especially &#39;Sugar&#39; - beautiful track]
                        Julien Baer: &#39;Juillet 66&#39; (from Bungalow&#39;s &#39;Genius Of Bertrand Burgalat&#39; CD - still looking for the source LP of this one if anyone knows anything about it&#33
                        Broadcast: HaHa Sound (Warp - still caning it after all these months, and still sounds downright perfect on every level)
                        Dengue Fever: S/T (Web Of Mimicry - brilliant set by US band &amp; Cambodian singer of classic &amp; new stuff)
                        United States Of America (Sundazed reissue CD with a whole new 10-track LP&#39;s worth added on: not a bad LP&#39;s worth, either - Osamu&#39;s Birthday, No Love To Give, You Can Never Come Down, Heresy (Coming Down) etc)
                        Jonny Trunk: The Inside Outside (Trunk - still liking the shoestring cut&#39;n&#39;paste feel of this, bit like rummaging through someone&#39;s attic or something...)

Dug out Add N To X&#39;s Avant Hard Lp again the other day too, and had forgotten how great that set is. That run of tracks from &#39;Buckminster Fuller&#39; and &#39;Revenge Of The Black Regent&#39; to &#39;Metal Fingers In My Body&#39; and &#39;Ann&#39;s Eveready Equestrian&#39; still blows me away after all this time...

Could add Kahime Karie&#39;s dodgy but brilliant &#39;Lolitapop Dollhouse&#39;, Takako Minekawa&#39;s &#39;Cloudy Cloud Calculator&#39; LP and a double 7&quot; from about 1989 by The Lunachicks (including Motorhead/bubblegum stuff like &#39;Jan Brady&#39; and &#39;Making It (With Other Species)&#39 as currently enduring heavy rotation, too...

Ooh, loads of good things. The neighbours must be delighted  
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 21 2004,00:51)]Dug out Add N To X&#39;s Avant Hard Lp again the other day too, and had forgotten how great that set is. That run of tracks from &#39;Buckminster Fuller&#39; and &#39;Revenge Of The Black Regent&#39; to &#39;Metal Fingers In My Body&#39; and &#39;Ann&#39;s Eveready Equestrian&#39; still blows me away after all this time...
                          Good call - probably their best album.

For me this weekend was mainly Black Sabbath - s/t, Master of Reality and Volume 4.

Also played a load of live Coil albums I got a loan of until after 3 or 4 hours it started freaking me out.

And for some reason the new Beastie Boys album has hooked me in a way previous ones never managed. Especially Open Letter To NYC.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 20 2004,22:55)]How was bestival? I heard it was very quiet. And there was some toboggan run?
                            The weather was absolute shite on the Sunday. It was like trying to have a festival on top of a mountain in autumn. However, Saturday was sold out and apparently really good, and Sunday, despite being unpromising (I played right at the end) was really good.

They had a lot of problems with dodgy security, though, and the old Bill were a bit heavy on the body searches for people going in on the Friday. Overall a succes, though.
                            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I&#39;m with Col Wolfe on Kasabian&#39;s CD. You approach with caution like you do with any media darlings (and you also know that the backlash is imminent - 4 months for the Guardian?), but it really is like a distillation of the Mondays (c Bummed), Primal Scream (c Xtrmntr), Stone Roses (c Second Coming), probably not as era-defining as those bands in their heyday, but damn good pills music&#33;

I&#39;m really liking the Black Keys&#39; &#39;Rubber Factory&#39; too. Not sure it&#39;s as good as &#39;Thickfreakness&#39;, it&#39;s kind of leaning towards the &#39;Exile on Main Street&#39; rootsiness. If they dressed in red and white only, these fellas would be huge.

Other than that, I&#39;ve been digging Kate Bush lately&#33; &#39;Never Forever&#39; and &#39;The Kick Inside&#39;. Lady&#39;s a genius.

And looking forward to being able to afford the Rolling Stones&#39; &#39;Rock and Roll Circus&#39; DVD cos I want to see Keef in his black feather-cut, cigar and eyepatch combo.
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X