The emperor's new breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The emperor's new breaks

Any warnings of 'classic' breakbeat records that, apart from a few seconds of sampleable material, are rubbish?
    I just bought reissues of 'Headless Heroes' and 'Outlaw' based on various rave reviews.
    Jesus Christ Almighty.
    I've usually liked Gene McD's stuff but I'm with Spiro Agnew on these two.
    I haven't been so disappointed since I got 'The Mexican' home.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Well thats the wonderful world of music for you. I never buy records for breaks and yet own and like both of those LP's for the tunes on them.

Speaking of breakbeat LP's that were famous for 15 minutes, who wants my 'In Search Of Ancient Gods'?

Heard the music was good, found out it was a load of toss
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Seriously!
      Headless Heroes is an amazing LP in my mind, and that has chuff all to do with there being a tribe sample on it.
      Relistened to it last week, still sounds fresh.
      Supermarket Blues is fantastic.
      "Got a can of pinapples the otherday, when I got it home it was a can of peas, GODDAM!"

Cherry Stones is cool, as is Susan Jane  IMHO

Put both those LP's in the context & time that they were released & even if you don't dig them you've got say they were on some other shit.
      Judging, or buying LP's, for short samples is crazy.
      Hope they grow on you.
      It's all personal though.
      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

I love those two LP's. Check out the lyrics to the title track Headless Heroes. Those lyrics are as applicable now as they were in 1971, if not more so now!
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Not to bash you point of view even more, but McDaniels is seriously good. You just have to be in the right frame of mind to be listerning to it.

And Hadrian, I'll take your copy of Ancients Gods, (if you're giving it away )

Comment

Put both those LP's in the context & time that they were released & even if you don't dig them you've got say they were on some other shit[QUOTE]
            Maybe 'some other shit' 'll help. Right , I'm off to hang around the harbour, twenty five euros in my hand.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

as has been suggested, i think it's a question of perspective.

both of these records are top notch imho, i'm a big mcdaniels fan.

i learnt long ago through experience that if you buy records purely for their "famous breaks", you'll be disappointed the majority of the time. finding "breaks" is about digging the new.... or just buy records cos you like the music..

Comment

Ive bought two records for breaks and they both cost 10p. One was captain noah and the other was a hot hits or totp with something jesus.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I don&#39;t rate headless horsemen that much either, the music is amazing but the vocals just ruin it for me...

Comment

personally I love them both - though probably &#39;Outlaw&#39; slightly more...but I don&#39;t see the point of buying them for sampling, they must have been rinsed right out by now. Still, at least you didn&#39;t shell out for originals and then find you didn&#39;t like them...
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

one record I was after (and I believe many others were for the opening break) and kept missing out on for a while was Ray Bryant &quot;Up Above the Rock&quot;. I truly think the break is the worst part, as it just builds on it - to the point where the friggin&#39; horns peirce your ears &amp; nearly drown out the drums even though he is bashing away (my favorite part).

Likewise, &quot;Cosmic Sea&quot;, which does have an amazing break, but the rest of the tune is so interesting as well. That electric piano(?) is nice. And they bring the voices in so late. But it all works.

OK, enough ranting about miniscule things that I spend too much time thinking about....
                      http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

IMO Headless Heroes is a fantastic album, and one of the most important albums ever created by a black artist.

Musically tight, lyrically shrewd and a laidback delivery so off the cuff, it&#39;s tight.........if that makes sense.

Without doubt, in my top 3 albums and probably a desert island disc.

Outlaw doesn&#39;t quite match the overall completeness of Headless, but &#39;Cherrystones&#39; and the very excellent &#39;Unspoken dreams of light&#39; are works of genius.

If somebody was to ask me to list 50 essential albums to start collecting black music, then these 2 would be in the top 10.

Comment

I just wish the were more lp&#39;s like that ...

forget the breaks and samples this is just good stuff..... (deeper and with more soul )

Comment

both them eugene mcdaniels LPs are like the epitome of VV surely?? i think that kid is on a wind up

its like sayin delasoul did nothin for hiphop
                            www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (babycart @ Sep. 22 2004,19:43)]I&#39;ve usually liked Gene McD&#39;s stuff but I&#39;m with Spiro Agnew on these two.
                              Just as an aside, did you know that Spiro Agnew is an anagram of &#39;Grow a penis&#39;?

God bless those old Nigel Rees &#39;Graffiti&#39; books&#33;
                              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X