Finley quaye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finley quaye

So I'm warming up the ones and twos for a Finley Quaye DJ set at some glitzy private party type steez this eve. Casual name-dropping aside, ahem.. has anyone ever heard him DJ before? Know what sort of thing he plays? I'm intrigued..
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Oh god - not another 'celebrity' thinking they can DJ - if that is indeed the case with Mr Quaye.

I've come across 3 of them in the past. Warming up for Simon Bartholomew from BNH. There were bigger gaps in his set than you find in Watford, and on one occasion he didn't have a track ready so he just replayed the last one. No mic action, just upped the needle and slammed it down.

Jarvis Cocker - as he was preparing for his set, he was still asking me what does what on the mixer. 'And this is an upfader....' ------'What's an upfader?' 'What's the master?' - Jesus Christ sunshine!! And you're getting paid how much?

And the wonderful Snafe from Galliano......... He lauded upto the decks like he was Harvey Keitel in Bad Leuitenant and proceeded to re-arrange my records/bag whilst I was still playing. So as a little treat to him, I cranked the upfader to full volume and turned the master volume way low, and the channel volume at 12 o'clock, leaving the volume playing fairly quiet but cranked to the max. On he came playing 'Superstition' from the Musiquarium comp (after me playing 'Cramp your style' on OG 7, so nice and loud - nice touch I thought!&#33 and the fellow fell into quiet club oblivion. And he couldn't work it out. I left him to it for 20 minutes whilst I quaffed an ale, and then took it upon myself to 'help him'. And he was getting paid an extra 0 to me.

'Superstar wannabe DJ's'..............urgh.

Mind you though, don't know much about Finlay, so can't help you there, squire!

Comment

hes been playin everywere recently
      i heard 'hes smokin'

crack
      www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 22 2004,11:23)]So I'm warming up the ones and twos for a Finley Quaye DJ set at some glitzy private party type steez this eve. Casual name-dropping aside, ahem.. has anyone ever heard him DJ before? Know what sort of thing he plays? I'm intrigued..
        Nice one Vibra, i'll gladly be corrected but i bet he's a complete Bag a Shite !

Whatever
        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ Sep. 23 2004,12:17)]Nice one Vibra, i'll gladly be corrected but i bet he's a complete Bag a Shite !

Whatever  

Well Towny, that was partly my impetus to post as I too wondered, like the man in the orthopedic shoes, whether I might stand corrected.

I'll submit a full report tomorrow. That's of course if I can be bothered to hang around and find out. I might just 'do a Belson' and sabotage the decks before swiftly doing one..

Comment

So, just having a look over at the ninjatune site and this is what they had to say about Finlays wonderous set last night.

"oh my god, don't think i've ever been so bored by a set in my life as last night

fucking watered down middle of the road reggae

i'd have saved a shitload on booze if i'd stayed at home and listened to 'legend'"

and

"would play the first minute of a track then *fade out*

i'd have been fucking embarrassed if i was the promoter and kicked him out"

Aaaah......the wannabe DJ superstar strikes again!

I take it you tore ish up, vibra!

Comment

Early yesterday evening before I went down, I was told by a punter in a record shop that Finley had played at Sankeys last weekend, and had managed to clear the room, which he thought quite impressive as DJ Sneak was the alternative, whom the young man described as "a load of gash".

Having heard his 'set' last night, I can certainly understand why. It seemed to perhaps work better in a bar scenario (i.e there were some people left at the end), but it wasn't exactly the most inspired selection of music I've heard. Indeed, there were moments when I was reminded of the Vogon poetry scene from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. And he uses CDs. And I had to lend him my headphones - you'd think he could afford a pair, probably being paid ten times my fee and all.

In summary: Oof!

Comment

My mate was engineering a recording session for him a while ago, he went off at one point and didnt come back for ages and was later found passed out in the toilet with a spoon full of coke up his arse... couldnt have been a pleasent sight.
                www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

some very funny stories there.

i bet finley thought he was the bollocks, too. celebrity is all, isn't it? very strange and skewed. it seems weird that some so-called celeb like finley (or whoever) should be a headliner, when you've got people like vibra here (or belson, no doubt) who would wipe the bloody floor with them, warming up. there's no accounting for taste, or skills for that matter.

i've only ever heard one finley track, years ago - some awful cod pop-reggae thing where the vocals sounded like a dog chewing a bee.

i sometimes play records out to people and it seems to go down well usually, but i wouldn't consider myself to be a DJ. i know what the master fader does though. the black art of putting a set together is one of those elusive things and just when i think i've got it quite good, another mix courtesy of mr_hopkinson, sermad or LDJB drops through the sodding letterbox and i'm back to square one.

Comment

the famous Finlay Quaye track was a Marley cover - 'Sun Is Shining', bizarrely retitled 'Sunday Shining'. maybe he misheard the lyrics on his Legend comp...

Comment

You should have asked him if he had a spare copy of his big brother's single "Baby You're Phrasing Is Bad" by Caleb (Quaye) - that might have made the evening slightly more worthwhile...
                      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Sep. 24 2004,18:42)]You should have asked him if he had a spare copy of his big brother's single "Baby You're Phrasing Is Bad" by Caleb (Quaye) - that might have made the evening slightly more worthwhile...  
                        I thought Caleb Quaye was Finley's dad?
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (The Divine One @ Sep. 24 2004,18:42)]You should have asked him if he had a spare copy of his big brother's single "Baby You're Phrasing Is Bad" by Caleb (Quaye) - that might have made the evening slightly more worthwhile...  
                          That song is great!

Whatever happened to those Bam-Caruso dudes? Their comps were awesome, and when I was England in high school I picked up a copy of their mag STRANGE THINGS ARE HAPPENING which I still have and treasure to this day.

But oh, celebrity DJs. My only run-ins with those were when I booked Ian Svenvonious (Make-Up, David Candy) and Calvin Johnson (Beat Happening, Dub Narcotic) for a gig down here. Personality-wise, I had met Ian already and liked him, so no problems there. He dug some of my opening tracks (60s-70s foreign gogo gear) which was nice. Calvin was a cipher, though... almost emotionless. Not friendly but not mean either. Strange guy.

Mixingwise, I noted no special talents nor lack of them.

Musicwise, I wasn't feeling their selections at all. Ian played a lot of obscure 80s (and 80s sounding) music that I suppose was danceable but I'll be damned if I could remember any of it nor would I have been able to dance to it. Calvin started his set with "The Clapping Song" which was cool but he similarly fell into the "80s dance music" trap as I recall. Well, until the end, that is, when he played 80s dancehall 45 after 80s dancehall 45, one after another. I was dancing with friends, but several of the girls told me "THIS MUSIC IS GETTING BORING" even though they enjoyed the first few reggae sides. At that point I became the "annoying guy at the club" and suggested to Calvin that he switch up the style a bit. He nodded and proceeded to play about a dozen more dancehall 45s that sounded the same. Fair play, I guess.. But if I was DJing in another town and played 20 latin soul songs in a row, I wouldn't mind a bit if the local DJ/booker told me that the music was good but the crowd would like a bit of a change of pace. NAWMEAN??
                          "No my brother. You got to get your own."

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 24 2004,19:18)]I thought Caleb Quaye was Finley's dad?
                            Not according to Phil Smee's booklet in the Rubble boxset...

Those Strange Things magazines were amazing, packed with so much information, I still find new stuff in them whenever I pull them out.

And funnily enough, I booked Calvin Johnson to DJ about 10 years ago. He asked me to queue up about 3 records for him, then said he was going to check out the vibe on the floor and never returned!
                            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ] then said he was going to check out the vibe on the floor and never returned!
                              that's hilarious. must use that on the next boring gig...
                              er

Comment

Working...
                              X