John dankworth 'lifeline' lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John dankworth 'lifeline' lp

This was listed in March's guest chart (70s Kid) but the text was a review of a Hudson library LP instead - anyone own this and can supply a short critique?
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

It's pretty good I think - I'll dig it out for a proper spin & report back - it's the one with "Tomorrows World" theme on it, also side two is one long suite which has some very funky sections from what I remember.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I saw this for £21.99 in Oxfam in Shrewsbury yesterday.

Even the chuff was three quid. But people were buying the stuff, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Having said that.. I did shell out seven smackers on a 45 which I'd never seen before. The theme music for the early 70s Ski Yogurt adverts (The full-of-fitness food) by Manfred Mann and Mike Hug.
      groovy.
      ...so many LPs, so little time!

Comment

Matt has that yoghurt 45. The flip of which bears an uncanny resemblance to an arrangement on one of James Last's Non-Stop Dancing LPs (there, that narrows it down?). And the lyrics of the a-side are great - they couldn't even think of enough to say about yoghurt to avoid la la la-ing the second half of the chorus...
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

'Ski, the full of fitness food, it's good for everything, la la la la la la, la la la la la'..... great lyrics.

The flip, 'Sweet Mary Jane' (I think from recollection that's what it is called) is pretty groovy.

The OG theme from 'Tommorows World' by Johnny Dankworth is also on 'BBC Space Themes' too, if you happen upon that in the racks. But I'd guess that we'd all pick that up on spec anyway.
          Matt Hero

Comment

I've got a 60's advertising 7" for Express Dairy's own brand yoghurt, "E".

It goes,

"We make E, the way you like it,
            Really like it, E's so Easy,
            Smooth and easy..."
            Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 14 May 2003,23:32)]It's pretty good I think - I'll dig it out for a proper spin & report back - it's the one with "Tomorrows World" theme on it, also side two is one long suite which has some very funky sections from what I remember.
              Had a chance for a listen yet..?

It doesn't have 'Bitter Lemons' on it as well does it?

Comment

I got a copy of that LP.

Lee's right, 'Tomorrow's World' is all present and correct and the 'Lifeline' suite on Side 2 is where the deep grooves kick in.

I'm gonna stick my copy on eBay in the next couple of days, along with a bunch of other stuff.

If I'd had my thinking head on yesterday I'd have contacted you cos I was in Sheffield visiting my friend Debs in Meersbrook. Pissed it down constantly. And where has Jack's gone? And that HipHop shop that was opposite the skater place? Is Sheffield eschewing vinyl in favour of puffy clothes shops and expensive hairdressers? That's what it looked like on Devonshire Street (or is it Division Street - I can never remember?&#33.

I can remember when it was all just fields.

Benicio
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Ah shame.. anytime you (or other Vultures for that matter) are in the steel city please do give me a shout. It'd be an honour to meet up and have a communal digging and beer type experience (in whichever order feels relevant at the time&#33.

Re: Jacks - it's moved into a unit in 'Aberdeen Court', which is situated a mere 100 yards from the old spot, along with Store, which has taken up a unit opposite. The reasoning for this is essentially down to very high rents on Devonshire St, which explains why it is now almost entirely made up of expensive clothes shops and hairdressers..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ 17 May 2003,19:42)]I can remember when it was all just fields.
                    Actually that part of town used to be the 'red light' area of sheffield

gotta love it now its all 'trendy'.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                    X