New ebay quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ebay quandry

So you spot an item on Ebay that's high on your wants list but see that an eagle eyed Vulture has got there before you. So you contact him to ask if he minds you bidding as well and how high he's prepared to go, but you don't hear back.

This could be because he hasn't read his mail in a couple of days or for numerous other reasons. What do you do?? Do you bid anyway or let it go risking someone else winning it ahead of you??

Thoughts please

If this does not refer to the Roubaix, then forgive me. But if it does,then Mark baby, you must operate outside of GMT. I mean, you only emailed me yesterday man and I have a day job, ok? You got three and a half days man! Just relax, you can always bid on a zillion other pieces. Why you feel you simply had to share this with the entire board beats me?

As I recall I outlined my take on the whole ebay/vulture etiquete "quandry" last time we crossed swords, right?

Frankly, the whole thing is ridiculous, I mean, isn't eBay a free market afterall ?

Shee-it!
    it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

I say wait for response, be nice, or bid on it with a secret ID that he'll never find out.

you want to keep the price low on it, no matter who gets it. I'd be a gentleman and let him have a chance. But if he loses it, you got dibs on the next one that goes up.

Comment

but if the 2 of you aren't tight, all is fair. WAR!!!!

Comment

I probably won't make (m)any friends by saying this, but IMHO this whole bit about VV's not bidding against each other on eBay is ridiculous. As Soul-Fiend quite rightly says - eBay is a free market so if you see something and want it, just bid on it for gods sake no matter who else has got there before you, especially if it's something you've been after for a while.
          A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

I agree, the only person I wouldn't bid against is my gran... bless her.
            Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Yeah, Ive gradually changed my stance on this.

Do I have to sign an opt out clause?

Obviously I don't mean actively seeking out stuff but it's a bit too twee & gallant to keep stepping aside, especially when the orig. VV is often not the winner.

Feel free to show the same disregard to stuff Im bidding on too.
              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Isn't part of the point of the deal to prevent people having their 'current bids' searched & poached...especially as many folks are generous with wants & knowledge on the board?

Should we all keep our knowledge to ourselves, cover our tracks and slug it out on the 'net over stuff? Not really...if this forum is going to stay as good/informative/useful as it is.

Besides, even free markets have insider trading rules!
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Andy, this wasn't meant to be a personal attack (I didn't mention your name after all) it was just a genuine question. I've stated numerous times in the past that if people see me bidding on a item then go ahead and bid, you don't need to contact me, all's fair in love and records!

It's just that in the past I've upset some people by accidently bidding on records that they were winning (either by not recognising names or just not noticing in my haste.) So I'm making more of an effort to contact people first. However I agree with you that its a free market so bid away.
                  Apologies if I offended you

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 23 2004,21:47)]Isn't part of the point of the deal to prevent people having their 'current bids' searched & poached...especially as many folks are generous with wants & knowledge on the board?

Should we all keep our knowledge to ourselves, cover our tracks and slug it out on the 'net over stuff? Not really...if this forum is going to stay as good/informative/useful as it is.

Besides, even free markets have insider trading rules!
                    I think you are confusing several distinct and seperate issues here mate.

This really is the definition of tedium.

I seriously suggest, however free this forum needs to be, that this is precisely the kind of thread that shows us all up as vapid motherfuckers. It is simply, a waste of forum space when they'res so much better stuff to share.

And I've contributed to it twice!

it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Up to you lot, really - doesn't affect me personally as I've made my decision and stick to it, and if it helps me spend less then all to the good. Heresy, maybe, but no record's worth getting this heated up about to me.

Just think it'd be a shame if it got to a point of open war over rareties, and folk started keeping schtum about good records on here in case they turn up on the 'bay at some future point and there might be competition 'cos the rest of VV now knows about them.

Be a loss, is all, that a 'gentleman's agreement' helps to stop happening. But you all make your own choices...like you say, there are zillions of other things to spend your time & cash on!
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

theres 3 or 4 guys who i know/ do bizz with and guaranteed there always wantin to buy the same stuff as me on the bay, generally if they bid 1st i stay away, but if i really, really want it....i use a snidey id, if its a record i told em about in the 1st place then i have all rights!!
                        www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

LLMOD1 has been really good recently. Asked me what my top whack was on a record and he stayed clear and I got it for a really good price because I was the only one going for it.

There would have been no point if us two had been going loggerheads for the same item because he could have won it and I could have added say 50 quid to the final bid.

That is the gentlemans agreement working perfectly. I got the record this time but it'll spin around where mark gets dibs on one, or whoever.

If you want to play the game then you'll save money. If you don't then you won't. Simple.

All the records come around again.

Apart from that friggin sweet slag lp which is the first one I've seen in about 4 years. Couldn't afford it though.
                          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

simple answer: don&#39;t use ebay&#33;
                            http://www.blaxploitation.com
                            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

&#39;Tis only records, innit?
                              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                              X