Ye olde weekende findes thredde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ye olde weekende findes thredde

Quite a slow day at work so I thought I would kick off the traditional proceedings (although not a huge amount to report):

Cleo Laine: Portrait LP ("Night Owl"
    Cate Brothers "In one Eye" LP (Blimey, couple o' good ole Nashville boys turn in a killler 70s soul dancer in "Where do We Go". Highly recc'd for those who like that kind of thing. Should be quite easy to find, too. Yeeeee-haaa!&#33

Anyone else?
    Endless Tripe

Found a few bits in the charities on Saturday:

Harry Stoneham - Loves Theme - Theme from the Fox + boobies
    Stef Meeder - Little Things - The things on the cover of this record are anything but little
    The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Warhol designed zip cover intact.
    Dinosaur Jnr - Out Here 10"
    James Brown - Soul Classics vol 1 + 2 - Classic stuff.

Comment

Digs from the back of Mr Elephant's car (penance for being an incompetent nincompoop):
      Patrice Rushen - Haven't You Heard
      Class Action - Weekend
      Deodato - Whistlebump

Milton Keynes bootie:
      Soul II Soul - Back To Life
      Massive Attack - Safe From Harm
      Beats International - Dub Be Good To Me
      Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love LP
      Lionel Ritchie - All Night Long (guilty Balearic pleasure)
      Fox The Fox - Precious Little Diamond (Shep Pettibone Mixes)

PS Stan: those Cate Bros. LPs are good, mate. They're no Nashville country boys, it's blue-eyed soul all the way. Dennis Coffey produced two of the albums.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

just another copy of alla pugachova's 'mirror of the soul' lp (available for trade, if anyone wants it)

went through a few nice looking pepita/muza 7's, but all just bland pop. first flea market i've been to in ages though

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 27 2004,17:40)]PS Stan: those Cate Bros. LPs are good, mate. They're no Nashville country boys, it's blue-eyed soul all the way. Dennis Coffey produced two of the albums.
          Thanks. I could have sworn there was some honky tonkin' going on in there somewhere...This LP is produced by Steve Cropper (of the MGs). They actually hail from Arkansas so me saying they were from Nashville's probably like saying someone from Swansea is a Geordie, or something. Wouldn't lke to mess with 'em actually. Sorry fellas, if you're reading.
          Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Sep. 27 2004,18:35)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 27 2004,17:40)]PS Stan: those Cate Bros. LPs are good, mate. They're no Nashville country boys, it's blue-eyed soul all the way. Dennis Coffey produced two of the albums.
            Thanks. I could have sworn there was some honky tonkin' going on in there somewhere...This LP is produced by Steve Cropper (of the MGs). They actually hail from Arkansas so me saying they were from Nashville's probably like saying someone from Swansea is a Geordie, or something. Wouldn't lke to mess with 'em actually. Sorry fellas, if you're reading.
            Ah, shit, you're right: it's Cropper not Coffey.

Comment

Well, the libraries are still out there! At the carboot on Sunday morning it caused me great pain to watch over a dealer's shoulder as he pulled a bunch of decent KPMs out a pile of libraries - leaving me to pick up Light Intimations 4 (1051 - with Snowman's Stomp). Still, the dealer agreed to sell me them (for, ahem, slightly over the quid each they cost him - but still got an alright deal) so today I came away with:

Beat Industrial (1079), Underscore (1035), Bass Guitar & Percussion 2 (1089), Industry 1 (1161), Life Is For Living (1110), Colours In Rhythm (1029) and Underscore 2 (1056).

Other boot finds included Jacques Loussier "Pulsion" (signed by both geezers and with a concert programme from the Pulsion UK Tour), Mike Sammes Wombles LP, Gladys Knight/Funky Junction LP (need to stop picking this up but can't), Pink Fairies "Never Never Land" (no outer sleeve), A Journey Into Stereo Sound (double) and a bunch of trade-able rock stuff.

Purchases from real shops over the weekend included John & Beverly Martyn "Stormbringer" and "The Road To Ruin", Pentangle "Cruel Sister" and "Reflection", Alice Coltrane "World Galaxy", National Youth Jazz Orchestra "Return Trip", a UK Lansdowne Columbia jazz thing called "Strike Up The Bard" (with Elaine Delmar, Shake Keane, Barry Morgan etc. - any info on this?) and a tatty Small Faces "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" original which will hopefully clean up.

Should last me a wee while, and not even been to check the PO Box yet...
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 27 2004,17:40)]Milton Keynes bootie:
                That's in my neck of the woods ladyboygrimsby - were you just visiting or currently reside in the area?

Bodger
                Time to say peace...

Comment

Bah.

The gods of record collecting were definitely not smiling on south London last Sunday morning.

I found 2 Prodigy 12" at one boot sale. .. the other was totally dry. . . so I had to go through some charity shop stuff, and came out with 4 pretty decent (as far as mid 90's head nodding goes) things on Yellow productions. .. Dimitri from Paris EP, a Kid Loco LP and 2 other 12". Also found a hammered copy of Hugo Montenegro's "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" LP which I'd never listened too before. Shockingly, I actually quite liked it. . .

Did manage to sift through a nice pile of rare funk 7" at a friend's place though, so have to dig out some decent trades for those !! There's a Cissy Struttin' American Woman with my name on it. . .

Comment

on a side note, have any of you ever heard of a release called 'Country Moog'? I saw this at the record store and it looked interesting. i'm not a fan of country music but would like to hear moog renditions of famous country songs.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (bodger @ Sep. 27 2004,22:19)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 27 2004,17:40)]Milton Keynes bootie:
                      That's in my neck of the woods ladyboygrimsby - were you just visiting or currently reside in the area?

Bodger
                      My in-laws live in Bedford. Each time I stay in Bedford, I go to the MK Bowl bootie. It's pretty good. I'm up there again in a few weeks when Grimsby play away at Northampton (killing two birds with one stone).

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (mech1 @ Sep. 28 2004,04:54)]on a side note, have any of you ever heard of a release called 'Country Moog'? I saw this at the record store and it looked interesting. i'm not a fan of country music but would like to hear moog renditions of famous country songs.
                        Yep, I've had this. Does exactly what it says on the sleeve really, with amusing clunky moog sounds played over country standards..
                        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

ive managed to pick these up from variuos sources over the past week-

fred wesley and the horny horns-a blow for me a toot to you (atlantic)

national youth jazz orchestra-nyjo(the famous charisma label)

neils diamunds fashioned by hugo montenegro(rca quadra disk)

the mike moran band-same(power exchange)

dick hyman-sweet sweet soul(command)

the roundtable- spinning wheel(jay boy)

Comment

One or two nice bits for me from Charityland in the last week:

Diane Solomon - Take Two (nice laid-back version of 'Sunshine Superman' with Big Jim Sullivan on guitar)
                            The Supremes - Stoned Love (MFP compilation of post-Diana Ross tunes)
                            The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come (highly unlikely find in among the Mantovani and the Max Boyce: all soul and r'n'b stuff, nothing jaw-dropping but the title track is freakbeatish and they do a great take of 'What The World Needs Now Is Love' in 4/4)

Oh aye, and a book called 'The Stevie Wonder Scrapbook' - a US publication from about 1978 with some top snaps in it.

Very acceptable for a drizzly weekend in Cardiff!
                            The Pop Music Library

Comment

Night Clubbing -The Hit Squad Ronco 1983
                              I usually don't buy Ronco stuff because of the bad quality, but this one has one of my favorite 80's boogie tracks:
                              Kenny Lynch -'Half the days are gone and we haven't earn a penny'. Give me a note if you have the 12" for trade!

The New Heritage Keyboard Quartet -s/t Blue Note 1973
                              Clavinet and fender rhodes action!

Joe Thomas -Ebony Gadfather Today 197?
                              'Chitlins and Cuchifritos'

Gary Boyle -Step Out! Pick Up 1981
                              Recorded in Copenhagen with Bjørn Jason Lindh, Janne Schaffer, Stefan Nilsson. Killer record!

Tony Valor Sounds Orchestra -Ma-Mo-ah (Take III)
                              Brunsvick 1977 12"

+ a bunch of 80's boogie/modern soul 7"

Comment

Working...
                              X