Matata 'the new'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matata 'the new'

Picked up a Matata LP this morning, but not either of the ones on President?
    Ive got a couple of 45's by them on President & am familiar withe the LP's, this LP is however on the Keynote Records lable from '74.
    Features stuff that Im sure got released on President 'I feel funky' 'Good Good Understanding' & 'Talking Talking'...

The LP's titled The New Matata: "Uhuru"

Any one know the deal is it a later release, It sounds far better than I remember the 45's sounding.
    It's a corker any how & three quider on the nose!!
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Is Keynote UK?

Sounds like another issue of their second LP.

Whats the full track listing?

I can check my President LP when I get home if you like.
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Cheers Hadrian.
      Yeah, it's defo UK. 1974. Smells right for a '74 record (it's in the nose&#33
      The liner notes quote that 'Sucessful singles on President Wanna Do My Thing & I feel Funky are gritty & immediate' even gives the cat #'s.

Side1: Getting together/I Feel Funky/Gimme some lovin'/Love is the only way/Im gonna get there/good samaritan.

Side 2: Good Understanding/Return to you/Something in Mind/I believed her/I want you/Talking Talking.

Must be another issue of the 2nd LP i supose?

Comment

The plot thickens!

It's exactly the same tracks on their Independence LP (albeit in completely the wrong order) except....

"I'm Gonna Get There" on the Keynote release replaces "I Don't Have To Worry" on the President one.

I don't think "I'm Gonna Get There" is on Air Fiesta and it doesn't appear on any of the singles Record Collector lists.

Whats it like?

Oh, Independence was released in '74 too!

I have heard that President put out some shadey releases. Perhaps this was one of them?
        He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Ive got a matata 45 thats not on president. I'll try and find it. Might be on the same label!
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Sep. 28 2004,20:54)]The plot thickens&#33;

It&#39;s exactly the same tracks on their Independence LP (albeit in completely the wrong order) except....

&quot;I&#39;m Gonna Get There&quot; on the Keynote release replaces &quot;I Don&#39;t Have To Worry&quot; on the President one.

I don&#39;t think &quot;I&#39;m Gonna Get There&quot; is on Air Fiesta and it doesn&#39;t appear on any of the singles Record Collector lists.

Whats it like?

Oh, Independence was released in &#39;74 too&#33;

I have heard that President put out some shadey releases. Perhaps this was one of them?
            Well its typically good afro funk, real solid with grunts ala JB &amp; tight horns, pretty much like the rest of it.

Its got full dtails of the players and all&#33;
            No note of a subsiduary lable to be found either?
            Ah well.......

Comment

The break on that &quot;Talkin&#39; Talkin&#39;&quot; is a killer, if you like that sort of thing... nice find&#33;
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

for my money the matata 45 to look for is &#39;empty world&#39;... not on any of the LPs, i am assured from some quarters it was a kenyan only release (on President), but I swear I&#39;ve seen a President Uk Promo on the bay some years ago, and a friend claims to have seen a UK release copy on President in the collection of someones dad&#33; Instrumental killer, really tough.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW

What does the original pressing go for?

Comment

Og is about £125 I think.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Oct. 28 2004,18:53)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Oct. 28 2004,18:06)]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW

What does the original pressing go for?
                      Ouch&#33;

The Buyer got stung there as I believe thats a recent(ish) reissue.
                      It even says that though. I was expecting it to be a £400 album.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (fin @ Sep. 29 2004,17:14)]for my money the matata 45 to look for is &#39;empty world&#39;... not on any of the LPs, i am assured from some quarters it was a kenyan only release (on President), but I swear I&#39;ve seen a President Uk Promo on the bay some years ago, and a friend claims to have seen a UK release copy on President in the collection of someones dad&#33; Instrumental killer, really tough.
                        Glad I re-read this thread now.

Indeed there is a UK press, at least on promo 45 as I have a copy. It&#39;s actually the flip of the A label promo of &#39;I Need Somebody&#39; on President (PT400)

My copy is in a 99p Oxfam bag, but I&#39;m pretty sure I picked it of eBay earlier in the year for a couple of quid.

&#39;Empty World&#39; is indeed a cracker.... especially the breakdown section 1/2 way through. I think I&#39;ll go and play it right now in fact....
                        Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                        X