Albums that bizarrely got a uk release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albums that bizarrely got a uk release

Over the years, I've been amazed by the fact that some LPs ever got a UK release.
    When I first saw the Ray Barretto 'Acid' and the first El Chicano LP, I was surprised but maybe after Santana were so big....

but Fifty Foot Hose? Archie Whitewater?
    hardly household names...why those LPs and not, say, Loading Zone or Fear Itself?

what else has a bizarre UK release?

for some reason I think Barbara and Ernie did, but I don't think I've seen one.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Sep. 30 2004,23:09)]

Archie Whitewater?

what label did this come out on?

i've loads of obscure small label funky stuff from the 70's that is curious in it's general nature  - totally uncommercial, what market did they have in mind? kind of thing - although i'm unable to back this rather sweeping statement up by remembering any specific label or artist names offhand.  which makes it a dull response really.  

i'll get me coat...

Comment

I have to say that I was suprised to find a UK press of the first 'A Group Called Smith' LP... needless to say someone will now point out to me that they were from the UK and the UK press was the first one and I'll look stupid for the umpteenth time.
      Matt Hero

Comment

pierre henry's ballet score 'Mass for the present time' always seemed like an odd one - maybe it had a run in uk?
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

'Electric Mud' on a UK press seems slightly incongruous to me...
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Well, noticing the Archie Whitewater and the Electric Mud titles getting a mention -

Doesn't surprise me too much considering The Status Quo had their first also released on Cadet Concept. Clearly some connection somewhere with Cadet and the UK.

Comment

sure - of course there was a long-term tie-up between the Chess family and Pye in the 60's, but Archie Whitewater just seems an obscure choice for issue - why that one and not, say, Saloom Sinclair?
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I recently picked up from the States a copy of Archie Whitewater, surprised to hear it got a UK release! I could have saved myself some cash and waited till it turned up over here, although UK press may be more obscure than American!!!
                Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Oct. 01 2004,11:14)]sure - of course there was a long-term tie-up between the Chess family and Pye in the 60's, but Archie Whitewater just seems an obscure choice for issue - why that one and not, say, Saloom Sinclair?
                  Good point John - difficult to say without kinda being there.

Sales figues, Whitewater touring, or the simple fact that the Archie album is just far better than Saloom.

I guess that's nothing out of the ordinary than you already know, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (theeman @ Oct. 01 2004,10:44)]pierre henry's ballet score 'Mass for the present time' always seemed like an odd one - maybe it had a run in uk?
                    Well, it was a chart record in France, so maybe they thought the great British public were ready for a bit of wibbly musique-concrete electronic ballet music. Which might explain the UK copy's rarity (great sleeve though).

Other odd UK releases: Pete Terrace "Boogaloo" (Tower), Zoo LP (Major Minor - how about a Labels of Love?), first Axelrod LP, Incredible Bongo Band "Bongo Rock" and Ike Turner "Funky Mule" (both on DJM), Charlie Palmieri "Latin Bugaloo" (Atlantic), The Gimmicks (Decca Phase 4?), The Politicians LP (Hot Wax), S.O.U.L "Can You Feel It" (Pye - the "bible" lists 'What Is It' but never seen one, anyone confirm this?), Marva Whitney "It's My Thing" (Polydor) etc etc

Still, nice to think there was a time when record label bosses showed a bit of taste and optimism...
                    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Belson @ Oct. 01 2004,11:11)]Doesn't surprise me too much considering The Status Quo had their first also released on Cadet Concept. Clearly some connection somewhere with Cadet and the UK.
                      With a much nicer sleeve too.... I almost picked it up on the strength of the Cadet Concept artwork alone. Got a copy of 'Pictures Of....' on a big hole CC 45 somewhere at home....
                      Matt Hero

Comment

archie plus several rotary connection, ramsy lewis lps come out on chess uk, alvin cash n matata on president all the jayboy lps miami, betty wright 90%of me is u..all the contempo and mojo lps must be 1000s
                        www.budgetbeats.com

Comment

The Distortions Pop record! This was an italian prog/fuzz masterpiece that ended up on a library record in france and on the bizarre UK kaleidoscope label!

????

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

That&#39;s a fucking awesome sleeve&#33;
                            http://wakeupanddie.com
                            http://weirdgearnyc.com
                            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Yeah I love it. I bloody well got rid of it too as I had the french library issue. .
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X