Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark the Res
    replied
    For me - Rolling Tones is a VERY average piece - save yer money and buy something with a little 'longevity' - knoworriman?

Mark the Res

Leave a comment:

• iueke
    replied
    i certainly keep you posted on info i get. I've seen this lp for sale somewhere, but can't remember..

i went to the Chanperet record fair yesterday - i was ok-ish.

what i found:
    Sun Ra live au Gibus - original
    franco Tamponi - in mondo serioso (SR library)
    henryk Debich - string beat (8euro)
    Eraldo Volonte ep astraphone - well rare
    Giorgio Carnini - merry melodies (gemelli library)
    jacques lejeune - parages - inagrm
    catchy rhythms from Nigeria vol.3 10"

and loads of other less interesting bits.

Leave a comment:

• left hand corner
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]COOL CREATIONS OF ST. MAARTEN VOL.1 (jay records) anyone have any info?
    Hello Mr Iueke,

I found this a while back and, like you, what to know more about the group.

I wonder if the Cool Creations are the same group as the Rolling Tones? I have no basis for this apart from they're the only groups I know from St Maarteens who where cutting soul influenced LPs around the same time.

The Rolling Tones LP goes for big bucks but I prefer the Cool Creations because of the modern soul track on Side A. If fact, I have no idea why the Rolling Tones goes for big bucks because it ain't good imho.

Let me know if you find out more.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• son of stan
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Beaver @ Oct. 07 2004,00:00)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 04 2004,01:09)]King Reggie's Allstars; (fontana LP) inc. mindblowing "Swan Lake" (McNair?) New discovery?
    I've got the 7" by the Cats on Baf, great tune, about £10 for the 45!!
    I'm aware of, but not familiar with, that one. Do you happen to know whether the one on the LP I got is the same recording (the whole thing is just credited to King Reggie's Allstars)? It's got some great fluting on it.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    It seems Oryx Recordings are still going, though if it's the same company they seem to concentrate on Baroque music these days. A lot of their stuff seems to come from Austria, for what it's worth, but aside from that I know naff all, I'm afraid!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Cassius
    replied
    Matt - yeah, I saw the Labels of Love thing after I posted...but it says 'Melanie' not 'Beverley'...

Lord T - I guessed it might be the same thing as the Memphis Brown Beat Band album, I haven't got it but it's one earlier in the sequence and seems to have the same tracks judging by what it says on the back of Sax With A Beat. It also says 'top quality super-stereo recordings by Oryx Recording Limited' - was this a label/publisher or a recording studio or what? What's the deal with the 'Music For Your Home' label? See them all over the place but no nothing about them...

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jim Cassius @ Oct. 06 2004,22:14)]Sax With A Beat - J.J. Sashko and his Band, featuring Harold Berman (Music For your Home) (fantastic version of 'This Old Hammer' and some other nice enough beaty stuff)
    Electric Piano - Tony Lee and his Trio (Contour) (kinda loungey but a really good original called 'Beverley', really groovy)
    The JJ Sashko is actually an instrumental verson of the Memphis Brown Beatband LP on the same label - the same backing tracks are used, but with 'Harold Berman' playing the sax on top of them. My suspicions are the original recordings originate from somewhere in Europe, possibly Italy.

Never seen the Tony Lee - as Matt says, it seems to be hard to find. Sadly, Tony died earlier this year - he was a well-respected jazz pianist for about forty years, and backed loads of well known singers.

Leave a comment:

• Beaver
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Oct. 04 2004,01:09)]King Reggie's Allstars; (fontana LP) inc. mindblowing "Swan Lake" (McNair?) New discovery?
    I've got the 7" by the Cats on Baf, great tune, about £10 for the 45!!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jim Cassius @ Oct. 06 2004,22:14)]Electric Piano - Tony Lee and his Trio (Contour) (kinda loungey but a really good original called 'Beverley', really groovy)
    Nice one, one of the rarer Contours (only found 2 of 'em ever) and 'Beverley' is a nice track, if slightly off-key early on.

It's listed on the 'Labels Of Love' pages on the site under 'Contour' for more info.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Cassius
    replied
    Popped into a couple of charities taoday...found two things I don't know anything about. Any info at all would be cool...

Sax With A Beat - J.J. Sashko and his Band, featuring Harold Berman (Music For your Home) (fantastic version of 'This Old Hammer' and some other nice enough beaty stuff)
    Electric Piano - Tony Lee and his Trio (Contour) (kinda loungey but a really good original called 'Beverley', really groovy)

Leave a comment:

• pokester
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (iueke @ Oct. 06 2004,11:52)]les gants blancs du diable LP
    this is something I've always missed

Leave a comment:

• iueke
    replied
    i'd be interested to find out what the african lps are - even trad stuff - trades maybe?

Leave a comment:

• son of stan
    replied
    Some late additions:

Antonio Carlos Jobim: Stone Flower. I love this. Dead cool cover too.

Letta Mbulu: Sound of A Rainbow LP

V/A: Listen Here LP (Transatlantic Sampler). Feat. the very cool and funky "Travelling Song" by Pentangle (as played by Matt and some other fella at the Brillo) Spare if anyone's interested.

Bruce Forsyth "The Bruce Forsyth Album". Feat the Harry Roche orch and all your fave UK session men. Brucie's version of "Love's Theme" is a giggle and even rocks a bit courtesy of Mr Bennett an the drums, which is bonus (a Brucie bonus).

From the charity shop just now:

JALN Band "Street Dance"/ "Everybody's getting some" 7". A real surprise this as I usually find them a bit rubbish. "Street Dance" is a tough version of the Fatback Band. "Everybody's.." is a banging instrumental with drum breaks galore. From '75, so a year or so before their run of minor hits.

Kenny Lynch "Half the Days Gone" 12" (Spare. Funky Tee are you still after this? I'll pm you).

Stevie Wonder "Do I do" 12" (another spare)

Mindbenders Back In Time Just Funky Jazz II LP. No idea what this is.... sort of deep house with hip hop beats. Listening to it now. Rather good.

Plus a few soul 7s and 12s for the collection and a pile of African LPs that I haven't listened to yet.

Leave a comment:

• iueke
    replied
    did abit more diggin yesterday - found these

les gants blancs du diable LP
    luiz Bonfa - bossa nova + 5 ep
    emil ascher library - soul lp
    dialectics of liberation - Stokely Carmichael lp - any body have the other volumes in this serie?
    Xenakis - 5 lp erato set
    psychedelic set lp - i know nuffink about this Portuguese lp - help
    Ishmael reed - conjure lp

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Oct. 05 2004,19:03)]Picked up a copy of 'This Guy...' today and found this in the sleeve. Just need to change my name to Dan or Don or Ron or Ray or whatever that is.

I am dead jealous! I am now the same colour as this chappie here >

Leave a comment:

Working...
X