Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portables

So a couple of weeks ago myself and fellow digger mr Gee were
    in lille digging when we come across this retro type stall, the blokes got a couple portable record players so we ask how much he wants for em (knowing perfectly well they will be over priced) out of interest.
    Anyway i'm sporting my Fisher price (with headphone socket)
    and he say's whats that ? i say it's the best tool for digging there is and he gets all grumpy saying it's just a toy and theres no design thought gone into it and all that, so i say have you ever used one ? NO was the reply.

Now i can appriciate that he's a design nut but to dis what i think is the best portable out there was just plain ignorant.IMO.

So whats your thoughts on using a portable in the field ?
    I know some poeple are against it, But why ?
    And what portable is top dog for you ?

All i know is that over the years they have saved me a small fortune whilst digging here on the continant.
    Whats you're style ?

I've just bought a Vestax in the last year and I only use it on one or two stalls at my local market. I Know the dealers but I would probably feel a bit uncomfortable using it anywhere else (ie does the price of a record suddenly increase if a dealer see's you with a portable and thinks you know something about the record that he dosen't, so covers his losses?)

Anyway, it's certainly saved me money over the year so for that reason I think they are good.

I haven't used any other portables so can't comment on performance etc but most including the fisher price look the biz and I would certainly like to have a collection of different portables!
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I use a gp3 and it suits me perfectly. Its built like a brick sh*t house too. I take it to utrecht and when you have an unknown record that could be wicked but its 50 euro - you want to check it out first. Non of the dealers ever seem to mind if you are respectful and ask first.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I use this stinky little thing:

Have to say that a lot of dealers at fairs don&#39;t like people using portos on their goods i.e. old dodgy needles being dropped on rare vinyl...
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Yeah but if you butter them up a bit they sometimes don&#39;t mind.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Oct. 03 2004,19:45)]I use this stinky little thing:

Have to say that a lot of dealers at fairs don&#39;t like people using portos on their goods i.e. old dodgy needles being dropped on rare vinyl...
            Thats a beauty colin (the portable that is &#33
            never seen one of them before, what make is it ?

I normaly ask the stall owner either the price of the record(s)
            or if he/she minds if i listen to them first.

Right who&#39;s got some more interesting looking porto&#39;s then ?
            come on lets have some pics....
            Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

My clear GP3.

My Jamaican one (I sold this).

My portable mixer (signed by Cash &#036;&#33

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (jammin @ Oct. 03 2004,20:48)]Thats a beauty colin (the portable that is &#33
                never seen one of them before, what make is it ?
                The make is GeneralElectric, made in Japan + that&#39;s all I know about it - picked it up a few months ago at a carboot. Could do with a new needle but haven&#39;t got a clue how to locate such a thing - anyone got any pointers?

Comment

Try Craig, The Record King&#39;s, website...

The Record King

I&#39;ve used him before, and I&#39;d recommend him.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Oct. 04 2004,10:20)]Try Craig, The Record King&#39;s, website...

The Record King

I&#39;ve used him before, and I&#39;d recommend him.
                    Cheers Rich&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Oct. 03 2004,22:47)]My clear GP3.

My Jamaican one (I sold this).

My portable mixer (signed by Cash &#036;&#33

Ah man thats wicked, Myself and fellow booter gee are always saying how good it would be to have mixer linked up to our portables. Is there a pitch control on those tables ?

Nice signature to &#33;
                      Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

no mixer for me I have to use swift volume control / headphone swapping when I go out busking
                        Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

How does the Vestax portable compare with the slightly cheaper Numark one ???

And can either be found much cheaper than £100 ? The Vestax is £99.99 at HTFR - any idea where I could score one any cheaper ??

Might be an investment &#33;

Comment

after playing around in the shop with both, the Vestax seems better than the Numark. got mine for 95 quid at that DJ shop on Hanway Street.

in a Blue Peter moment i got some sticky-backed felt and made a nice little mat for the platter on mine. went for boring black rather than leopardskin though...

Comment

anybody want to put me onto a nice retro porty in GWO?must have really,shopping with yer eyes just gets you a pile of [email protected] in the end&#33;any suggestions muchly appreciated...
                              Work on a dream.....and get it done&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X